Anyone shoot 6.5x55 Swede?

Balrog

I have never shot a 6.5 cal rifle (including the Creed), but ran across a pretty sweet looking 6.5x55 Swede the other day. It was a new production Ruger Hawkeye RSI with mannlicher stock. Anyone ever shoot this caliber? Looks like it shoots the same 6.5 mm bullets the 6.5n CM uses, but about 100 fps slower. The only high powered rifle rounds I shoot are 30-06 and 308, I would think this should recoil a good bit less and be pretty nice in the field.

furtaker

I have a Howa 6.5x55. Very accurate rifle and a pleasant round to shoot.

The Swede is capable of slightly higher velocity than the CM in a modern rifle since it has a slightly larger case. Factory loads and load data are mild due to the original rifle it was chambered in. Europeans have been killing big game with it for many years.

Hillbilly stalker

I have a 6.55 x 55 Swedish Mauser, a model 94 I think ( aint dug it out in a while). Very accurate, very little recoil. I shot one back in the early 90's that was cut down with the bolt handle turned and a target crown, synthetic stock . At the time there wasn't a very good selection of bullets to be had and that was before the internet. A 139 or 140 grain Remington was all that was on the shelf. I had trouble with performance on deer, it would kill them but very little damage an near no blood trail. I sold it for that reason, but I still have another untouched Mauser I bought at the Pawn shop for $39. They were cheap back then and everywhere. They have a very distinct sound, I can recognize the crack of one for a good ways off.

Darien1

I have a Winchester 70 feather weight in the Swede. One of my favorite rifles and caliber. The deer I shoot with mine die pretty quick and usually right where they stand. I used to have the Ruger RSI chambered in it but I passed it down to my son a couple of years ago. That was one nice accurate little rifle and since I gave it to him I have sometimes regretted it. lol

Balrog

I shot the Swede today. The rifle has an 18" barrel with iron sights, and is light and handy. I am thinking I am not going to scope it right away, and just use it for close range shooting out to 100 yards or so, but we will see.

With that in mind, about how much difference in trajectory is there at 50 and 100 yards? Am I better to sight the irons in at 50 or 100? I am shooting 140g soft points, at an advertised muzzle velocity of 2600 fps.

Reactions: Dub

jicard3

I shot the Swede today. The rifle has an 18" barrel with iron sights, and is light and handy. I am thinking I am not going to scope it right away, and just use it for close range shooting out to 100 yards or so, but we will see.

With that in mind, about how much difference in trajectory is there at 50 and 100 yards? Am I better to sight the irons in at 50 or 100? I am shooting 140g soft points, at an advertised muzzle velocity of 2600 fps.
I bet you'll find it to be pretty flat from 50 to 100yds. Probably doesn't matter which you zero at. I plugged a 140grn going 2550fps in the shooters calculator. Zeroed at 50 it says it's .04 inches high at 100. Zeroed at 100 it's giving .03 inches low at 50.
The couple of 6.5 Swede talks lately have inspired me to dust mine off and take it for a spin. I think I'll order a set of dies and play with reloads this spring and summer then hunt with it next deer season.

sleepr71

I saw a (nice) Sako Model 75 Finnlight in 6.5 x 55 a few years ago at a pawn shop for $700…and talked myself out of it. Told myself that it was an odd caliber & I’d regret it. Wish I could do that one over….:(

WaltL1

Have several Swedish Mausers and also hunt with a Ruger M77 in 6.5x55.
Great round, light recoil. 140gr. CoreLokts have always worked for me.
Handloading will get you max performance.

WaltL1

I saw a (nice) Sako Model 75 Finnlight in 6.5 x 55 a few years ago at a pawn shop for $700…and talked myself out of it. Told myself that it was an odd caliber & I’d regret it. Wish I could do that one over….:(
On the flip side of your story -
About 25 years ago I got a great deal on my Ruger 6.5x55 because it sat on the shelf because nobody wanted that odd caliber.
Fortunately I was already familiar with the 6.5 Swede so I snapped it up right quick.

Drykilned

I have a 100 year old Swede model 94 carbine converted to a custom sporter, full length stock, modern bolt handle, timney trigger, buehler type safety and sig romeo5 red dot or nikko 2.3x10 post-dot scope. Shoots 123 sst @ 2630 fps and 156 norma or 160 Hornady @ 2300. Love that heavy load and red dot for swamp deer.

Redbow

I had a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser that I bought for Roses back in the eighties. The old military rifle was made in 1919 but it was in perfect condition. Never hunted with it but did quite a bit of target shooting with it. I gave the rifle to my cousin for preaching my Mom's funeral in 2019.