Hunting with "little" cartridges...

AjaDog

The .300blk is used by special units in the military, using subsonic ammunition with suppressors, mainly in CQB and covert missions, the cartridge was originally developed for use as a subsonic easily suppressed round, it has its limitations, but is an excellent round for certain situations, and is capable of very good accuracy as well, the 16in barreled AR I had would consistently put 125gr ballistic tips and btsp's into a 1 to 1 1/4in group at 100yds off a sandbag rest
Yeah I really am not that familiar with that weapon I know nothing about it's ballistics muzzle velocities MOA, none of that stuff, I am a long gun person, if I could have the space to do it, I would not hesitate to take a shot on a deer at 500+ yds with my 300WM, Remington 700, or my 30-06, I'm a lil disappointed in my .223 right now I shot a big ole doe Sunday with it, 75 yds knocked her down, she got up and ran, tail between her legs, and my tracking dog couldn't find it, we looked all day, Aja my German shepherd lost scent 30 yds in, I hated it, only the 2nd deer I've lost in 50+ years

menhadenman

My first two rifles were inherited (Marlin 35 Rem and Winchester 7 RM) or from santa (22 LRs/Mossberg 500)...

But my third was my first "new" one. A Savage 111 in 25-06 I purchased in 2007 heading into my first pronghorn hunt. I've since stacked at least a dozen critters out to 350 yards including a few heavy mule deer. The flat shooting and light recoil is really nice. The 117 SST is devastating on an animal.

Somehow no one will acknowledge it's the "OG" long range 6.5mm with experimental versions dating back to the 1910s :).

@BriarPatch99 posts makes me want to shoot a deer with one of those 80 gr monos he's zinging at light speed from a quarter bore.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 093708.png

175rltw

BANNED
No quarter note love anywhere. I do love my Robert’s with 115 ballistic tips. Or the old federal premium plus p load with 120 partitions.

Have killed bunch of deer and a black bear with it. But it gets used only on a whim because I really only ever use my 7mm08 and 120 ballistic tips.

AjaDog

My first two rifles were inherited (Marlin 35 Rem and Winchester 7 RM) or from santa (22 LRs/Mossberg 500)...

But my third was my first "new" one. A Savage 111 in 25-06 I purchased in 2007 heading into my first pronghorn hunt. I've since stacked at least a dozen critters out to 350 yards including a few heavy mule deer. The flat shooting and light recoil is really nice. The 117 SST is devastating on an animal.

Somehow no one will acknowledge it's the "OG" long range 6.5mm with experimental versions dating back to the 1910s :).

@BriarPatch99 posts makes me want to shoot a deer with one of those 80 gr monos he's zinging at light speed from a quarter bore.

View attachment 1273340
Oh yeah it's been on the table for some time between that 25-06 out perform the 6.5 in distance and accuracy,had a friend who had a Marlin 35, what chunk of lead out of that beast

Buckman18

My 16 year old daughter has killed a truck load of deer and hogs with her Mossberg 243. Most actually drop in their tracks with the winchester XP bullets. However, pencil hole in, and IF there is an exit its also small. I dread the day WHEN tracking is required, because the blood trails are gonna be tough.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

View attachment 1273340
The 6.5 sweed has it beat by 20 years :flag:

basshappy

BANNED
My 16 year old daughter has killed a truck load of deer and hogs with her Mossberg 243. Most actually drop in their tracks with the winchester XP bullets. However, pencil hole in, and IF there is an exit its also small. I dread the day WHEN tracking is required, because the blood trails are gonna be tough.

Different bullet, but often the blood is good and easy to follow. Even with small holes. My boy's .243 had never failed.

20231201_224822.jpg

buckpasser

We had that scenario with a fusion last year. My son made what I’d consider a perfect shot at 170 yards. 100 yard +\- trail with tiny drips and drops until right at the pile up. Wasn’t fun and a wet trail or light rain would have been a trail dog fee for sure. We are shooting copper now.

AjaDog

As soon as I get my old phone back on line, I shot a six pointer near the end of the season last year, my processing guy text me and wanted to know what kind of rifle I shot the deer with, wasn't nothing but a lil ole .223, why I asked, you wanted a neck roast, there nothing left in the neck, and he sent me a pic, wow!! It was tore up really bad,

wm742

I like the XPs. I hit one with a .308 that painted the tree beside it red up over my head. It looked like some one shot a fawn at point blank with a 12 gauge slug

I usually like core-lokt the best, but between the two i usually grab the one that's cheaper at the time. Neither cartridge has ever failed me.
We do use XPs religiously in the 6.5 creedmoor. But that's more because my 16yo daughter likes the look of the bullet more.

Liberty

I have this coming for Christmas for my 9 yr old. I’ve been reading up on it. 6.5 Creedmore looks very impressive compared to my .308. Can’t wait to try it on one while he’s at school. Lol
I like to poke fun at the adult hipsters and their “magic” rifles, but the 6.5x55 has been killing big game well for over 100 years and the Creed gives you about 100 more FPS. I’d have no reservations about using one with good ammunition if I wasn’t happy with what I already have. That’s a GREAT Christmas present, and your son will always have great memories of his dad holding that rifle after your hunting days have passed. Merry Christmas.

smitty

I have a TC Contender set up with a 20" heavy barrel in 6.8 with 110 grain SSA bullets. Its my go to gun and has taken deer up to 214lbs, no magic just good shot placement !

175rltw

BANNED
The creed is great. They all are. I mean- I don’t think that cartridges that provide muzzleloader velocities and ballistics curves IE 300BO is my style anymore than muzzleloaders are but…too each there own. In real life I only ever ran a suppressed m4A1, but did plenty of range days with suppressed 416s and SCARs prior to adoption- all in 5.56. And never needed anything more covert - or less capable at 400
Otherwise they’re all about the same for at least 250 yards and most of them about the same to about 600 yards if there’s no wind.. Give or take a a few 10ths of a mil.

The greatest achievement the creedmore has to its credit so far is that it finally bestowed a sense of adequacy on 270 shooters.

Last edited:

Latest posts