.44 Mag

Bucaramus

Bill Ruger took one to Africa and killed the big 5 with it. My buddy and his brother have 2 that their daddy bought them when they were around 13 years old. Brand new they were $96 a piece he told me. Now when you find one they look like they been drug behind a truck and the price usually starts at around $650 plus. There’s a HUGE gun store ( Mid South Guns) in a very small town of Wagrum Nc that has them ever now and again. They had 3 last time one of my buddies was there, he bought 2 of them. They move quick.
I paid $600 for this one and there is very slight marks on the feed ramp from being loaded but other than that it's pretty pristine.

Hillbilly stalker

I paid $600 for this one and there is very slight marks on the feed ramp from being loaded but other than that it's pretty pristine.
You scored man. Never shoot a solid lead bullet. I was told shavings will get into the gas chamber. I was told to shoot jacketed. They are kinda hard to find parts for.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I guess because I can. I wouldn't say worthless. I can still feed them bullets and they'll fire when and if I decide to. 2 are put up for my granddaughter and 2 are put up for the grandson. Those will get fired when they are ready. Granddaughters is the Winchester .44 lever gun that's only been hunted by my nephew and wife. Other is a stainless, cerakoted 350 Legend. Got my grandson a 30-30 lever action, never fired by me and a sweet .308 BLR that has been hunted by me and his dad. The grandson doesn't show a whole lot of interest in hunting at 10 yo but the 5 yo granddaughter is fired up!
To each their own, I guess. I don't buy trucks that I don't drive, or tools that I don't use, guitars I don't play, fly rods I don't cast, pans I don't cook in, or houses I don't live in. I have no desire to own a gun and never shoot it.

Bucaramus

To each their own, I guess. I don't buy trucks that I don't drive, or tools that I don't use, guitars I don't play, fly rods I don't cast, pans I don't cook in, or houses I don't live in. I have no desire to own a gun and never shoot it.
Tomato, tomahto I guess. You do you and I'll do me. That's what's so great about this country. We can agree to disagree and still be friends. Cheers!
:cheers:

Jester896

Senior Clown
dang...I got 3 trucks...I live in one...others don't get used much if any...what am I to do. I have so many tools I wish that I could use them all...i bet I haven't touched some of them in 10 years...don't have gitfiddles..I have 2 fly rods...don't think I have used either of them since the kids came along..I gots pans...but some of them don't get used...guns..pfft...what a mess I am

Last edited:

Waddams

I now have an old civil war era percussion cap musket. My father-in-law bought it as an antique collectors piece. There's paperwork with that documents who carried it in the civil war, what battles he was in, etc. It hangs on a wall at the family mountain house. Probably hasn't been fired in 100+ years. I've thought about getting it inspected and if in firing condition still, or could be brought to firing condition, go run a few shots through it just for the coolness factor.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I now have an old civil war era percussion cap musket. My father-in-law bought it as an antique collectors piece. There's paperwork with that documents who carried it in the civil war, what battles he was in, etc. It hangs on a wall at the family mountain house. Probably hasn't been fired in 100+ years. I've thought about getting it inspected and if in firing condition still, or could be brought to firing condition, go run a few shots through it just for the coolness factor.
I would 100% do that... :)

slow motion

I bought something I intend to use but not for what it was intended. It's for hanging on the wall and making up lies to tell grandchildren one day. I do love an old glass rod though.
Screenshot_20240516-082853_Adblock Browser.jpgScreenshot_20240516-082858_Adblock Browser.jpg

Me n little Lucy don't venture too far out so don't need a reel that size. Course there's bull sharks in the water I fish. And one day when I grow up I'm gonna fish with @1eyefishing and @notnksnemor so might need a big reel after all. Them boys catch big stuff.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I bought something I intend to use but not for what it was intended. It's for hanging on the wall and making up lies to tell grandchildren one day. I do love an old glass rod though.
View attachment 1305862View attachment 1305863

Me n little Lucy don't venture too far out so don't need a reel that size. Course there's bull sharks in the water I fish. And one day when I grow up I'm gonna fish with @1eyefishing and @notnksnemor so might need a big reel after all. Them boys catch big stuff.

We're gonna need a bigger boat! :LOL:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No advice was offered. Just a personal opinion that differs from mine.
Really? :rofl: Your question was: "I picked up a Ruger carbine, and I still haven't shot it or carried it in the woods yet. It's from 1975 and in really good condition. Hunt it or keep it a safe queen?"
My advice was to shoot it, hunt with it, enjoy it, and use it for its intended purpose instead of locking it away in a safe. You already know what you are going to do with it, but ask on a public forum anyway, then argue with people if everybody's opinion isn't the same as your predetermined one? Don't ask for opinions if you already 100% know your answer. It's your gun to do with as you see fit. Even if it makes Bill Ruger cry to see his beautiful gun going to waste. :bounce:

Bucaramus

Really? :rofl: Your question was: "I picked up a Ruger carbine, and I still haven't shot it or carried it in the woods yet. It's from 1975 and in really good condition. Hunt it or keep it a safe queen?"
My advice was to shoot it, hunt with it, enjoy it, and use it for its intended purpose instead of locking it away in a safe. You already know what you are going to do with it, but ask on a public forum anyway, then argue with people if everybody's opinion isn't the same as your predetermined one? Don't ask for opinions if you already 100% know your answer. It's your gun to do with as you see fit. Even if it makes Bill Ruger cry to see his beautiful gun going to waste. :bounce:
I'm not here to argue with anyone, and still not sure if I'll keep the gun or not. Here was the non advice I was talking about.

"Why own a gun that you don't shoot or tote? It's worthless then, and you might as well not even own it. I don't understand the concept of a "safe queen." Buy a painting instead. :)
Those Ruger carbines are fine rifles."

The only thing useful in that paragraph was the last sentence.

I did learn some very useful info about this gun though from a lot of knowledgeable folks. On what to do and what not to do should I decide to hunt with it. That is truly appreciated and why I posed the question.

OLE ROD

My first deer rifle was a Marlin 1894 lever action 44mag.
I’ve killed a lot of deer with it.
My son took it over when he started hunting.
He killed all of his deer with it.
I shoot Hornaday 240 grain hollow points.
No tracking required.

I’ve also got a Ruger carbine and a Ruger model 77/44 bolt action.
But haven’t killed a deer with them.
44 mag is a great deer caliber for 100 yards and in.

krizia829

Anybody hunt with one? My wife has a Winchester lever gun that my nephew killed his first deer with. I picked up a Ruger carbine, and I still haven't shot it or carried it in the woods yet. It's from 1975 and in really good condition. Hunt it or keep it a safe queen?
I have a Ruger carbine that my grandfather gifted me a few years back. That thing is so worth taking to the woods for deer! I wouldn't take a long shot with it (because I may overthink it too much) but anything within 100 yards is a for sure kill. I put a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33 on mine and it's SWEET!

Coastal Tiger

First gun my Dad gave when I was 6yrs old and I took my first deer with it. It has killed a pile of them over the years. Passed it down to my boys as their first rifle and both killed their first with it as well. As stated earlier, it has only ever had 240gr JHP loads put through it (all hand loads these days because we have a ton of .44 brass). One of my all time favorite guns to take to the woods due to it's compact size/weight and the kids still let me borrow it from time to time :sneaky:.

gb1194

I’ve got one that I traded my uncle for in about 1984. It’s a mid 70’s model. Killed a few deer with, it usually dropped them where I hit them. You guessed it, stock is cracked. I pulled the action out, drilled the stock, put in some dowels and glue and sanded it down. Works great. I sure would like a new stock for it though.

Latest posts