Turkeys in the chufa too early

Got my chufas planted about a week and a half ago and it is sprouting pretty good. The turkeys found it a few days ago and are scratching it up. Will they stop scratching once it has all sprouted, or do I need to put up a fence?

poorcountrypreacher

They will usually stop scratching up the tubers once the plants get about 4" tall. That makes the amount of damage very dependent on growing conditions. If you have good soil and good moisture they will grow out of that vulnerable stage quickly. If it's unusually dry, I've had so much damage that I've had to replant.

They will usually stop scratching up the tubers once the plants get about 4" tall. That makes the amount of damage very dependent on growing conditions. If you have good soil and good moisture they will grow out of that vulnerable stage quickly. If it's unusually dry, I've had so much damage that I've had to replant.
The turkeys raked it over pretty good, but I think they have moved on. I’m going to try to replant when I see a good rain coming. The chufas they left are very thin. I’ve heard you can harrow old chufa patches to thicken them up. Will what I planted last month come back up when I disc, or should I start completely over?
IMG_2239.jpeg

tr21

The turkeys raked it over pretty good, but I think they have moved on. I’m going to try to replant when I see a good rain coming. The chufas they left are very thin. I’ve heard you can harrow old chufa patches to thicken them up. Will what I planted last month come back up when I disc, or should I start completely over?
View attachment 1312064
just do a deep discing before a rain and it will come back thicker.

Riverrat84

I have tied the feed sacks to stakes where they move around like a wind sock. Have also left the tractor parked there to keep them spooky.

tr21

the tractor wont bother them 1 bit. I was discing the dove field at Standing Boy Creek and there were 3 longbeards that would stand there until I got real close, then they would go just inside the wood line until I passed and come right back out when I was about 50 yds past them. they did it until I was finished not just 1 or 2 passes.

poorcountrypreacher

View attachment 1312064
I would disc those prior to a rain and add more seed, especially covering the bare spots. Those plants are getting tall and there may not be enough energy left in the tubers to grow new plants.