Hunting Permission-Knock day.

Chris6294

Short back story, a friend and I have permission for two separate properties already.

Today after nailing down a list of properties to go after, to have one more local spot I set out for the morning to do some door knocking. Im not afraid of people and can really talk to anyone who will at least smile back. BUT MAN when theres a dog or multiple dogs at the top of that driveway that start barking, I tuck my tail and do a 180 and today was actually run off by two at once. Anyone dealt with this while trying to get permission? I have this sick picture of the homeowner looking out the window and laughing at me while his dogs get rid of me!

Hillbilly stalker

Best time to get permission from a land owner is when you see him hanging bags around his small garden or re-planting flowers in their flower bed:rockon: You know he is cussing them deer that ate them and will be in a mood to get rid of them, don’t wait until right before season when everybody else does. Strike while the iron’s hot ( hillbilly philosophy ) .

Luvntheoutdors

I am blessed and glad I finally was able to lock some Buckhead property inside the perimeter near the Chattahoochee river this week! They are already horning trees and scraping real good. Neighborhood hunting is wayy to easy. Seen 5 doe the first hour hunting on the ground and they don't mind you stinking in the woods.

Chris6294

I am blessed and glad I finally was able to lock some Buckhead property inside the perimeter near the Chattahoochee river this week! They are already horning trees and scraping real good. Neighborhood hunting is wayy to easy. Seen 5 doe the first hour hunting on the ground and they don't mind you stinking in the woods.

I would be all over this If i lived closer. I live about 20 minutes from Athens, so most doors I knock are pretty spread out, so obviously it takes time to hit a handful of them. Naturally it can get discouraging quickly

ssramage

I've slowed way down on door knocking recently, and have resorted to letters instead (without any success). I have found that with COVID, a lot of people get uncomfortable with strangers coming to their houses.

Luvntheoutdors

I am blessed and glad I finally was able to lock some Buckhead property inside the perimeter near the Chattahoochee river this week! They are already horning trees and scraping real good. Neighborhood hunting is way to easy. Seen 5 doe the first hour hunting on the ground and they don't mind you stinking in the woods.

Well it's not all cracked up to be neighborhood hunting like I thought in Atlanta. I have access to 2.8 acres. All the high dollar homes surrounding have about the same acreage. It's still very stressful knowing a wounded deer may run onto another property and the drama that comes with it. My second hunt Saturday morning, I was green lighted while climbing up the tree at dark from a neighboring property. Then I was green lighted again at dark while waiting for the sun to come up 20min later. I flashed back and they stopped. I didn't see any other hunters when I got down at 11:00. I told the landowner I will help with a hot fence to protect his muscadine vineyard and I'll be selective about what I shoot, which will be a quality buck only. To sum it up. I don't enjoy neighborhood hunting. It's not for me.

JROESEL

Get some spray, in the days of line work with the telephone company, we carried spray, and trust me, they want be coming back to bark at you, they’ll be rubbing there face and nose in the dirt, just have to be sneaky about getting them, don’t let the door your knocking on see you pepper his dog, those little cans would shoot twenty feet out, and yes it burns, I got caught in a down wind incident thanks to a co worker, I couldn’t even see the truck

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Get some spray, in the days of line work with the telephone company, we carried spray, and trust me, they want be coming back to bark at you, they’ll be rubbing there face and nose in the dirt, just have to be sneaky about getting them, don’t let the door your knocking on see you pepper his dog, those little cans would shoot twenty feet out, and yes it burns, I got caught in a down wind incident thanks to a co worker, I couldn’t even see the truck
You would pepper spray the dog of the landowner you intend to ask permission to hunt from? That's the most disrespectful thing I've ever heard.

Hunter922

Let's see..
-Spraying a dog while it is on the owner's property and your not invited.
- Bow hunting on 2.8 acres and expecting the deer to expire on that small piece of property.
- Not knowing a stranger from Adam , Covid or not , coming In the house is a big NO.
?

Long Cut

Get their address and write a letter.

I’ve mailed out 200 letters to landowners in Urban, Suburban and Rural areas of Georgia. I had 4 different letter formats with a liability waiver, down to personal information with referrals.

Of those 200 letters mailed out, I’d receive around a 4-6% return in the form of a text, phone call and even one email. An overwhelming majority were unpleasant, some went as far as stating if I stopped by I’d be prosecuted for trespassing, the deer are their pets, killing deer is immoral to “you can’t deer hunt a neighborhood?!”.

All tracts larger than 20 acres in size were already being hunted by family, friends or the owners themselves.

I’ve since given up. My letter sending is currently at 0/200 in regards to landing hunting permission. Maybe others will have better luck but my experiences have not been good.

Marylander

My letter writing experience has been the same. Approx 1 out of 30 response rate, 100% "NO" to date. Still, it's almost turned into a fun little off-season project. Digitally scouting properties, writing letters (how often does anyone get the chance to do that anymore...), dreaming of taking down monster suburban bucks. Will probably keep plugging away at it for the foreseeable future.

Chris6294

It sucks to see all the lack of success, but also sort of makes me feel better. Im sure you guys get discouraged like I do.