I don't care who the new Pope is

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Then why does it take so long and more than one person? Why do they vote if all are inspired? Shouldn't they all be inspired equally? Will they ever fall to political correctness?

Good point. Do a blind vote, as they did for Justus, and Matthias. Leave it totally to chance (rather, totally to God for the choice).

Don't know if any of us have that sort of faith these days.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
If the Pope is voted on and so hard to pick, can we really say the choice is inspired by God?
It is no different than saying the Bible (insert any version) is the inspired word of God.

It is no different than saying a preacher/elder/deacon/priest (insert denomination) is inspired by God.

It is no different than saying a true Christian is inspired by God.

Et cetera...

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
The media keeps reporting that the "world" is waiting to hear who the new Pope is. I could care less who the new Pope is and I'm not sitting around waiting for smoke to come out of a smoke stack. I have one mediator between me and God: the Lord Jesus Christ, and that is scriptural

You must care. You started a thread. :bounce:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Then why does it take so long and more than one person? Why do they vote if all are inspired? Shouldn't they all be inspired equally? Will they ever fall to political correctness?

If inspired by all the same God the "vote" would always be unanimous.

rjcruiser

Good point. Do a blind vote, as they did for Justus, and Matthias. Leave it totally to chance (rather, totally to God for the choice).

Don't know if any of us have that sort of faith these days.

There's a reason that the last time lots were cast was in Acts 1 and it has nothing to do with faith.

You must care. You started a thread. :bounce:

:bounce:

rjcruiser

Well...maybe the white smoke now coming out of the chimney will not only signal the fact of a new pope....but that this thread is done for as well. :D

bigdawg25

Uh...yeah. LOL
Figureheads are just "blowhards" that make a living off of their ego, are they not?
Folks literally pay them money to get smoke blown up their posterior sphincter...plain and simple. Who is the ho', and who is the john? :bounce:

I know what you are alluding to, and let me just say that millions of "normal" church going Catholics are deeply disturbed by all those scandals not only because its their priests who did it, but they all indirectly funded their legal defense in last two decades against legitimate complaints. I hope that in future enough amends are made so disillusioned folks like me become at peace with catholic church.

bigdawg25

Well...maybe the white smoke now coming out of the chimney will not only signal the fact of a new pope....but that this thread is done for as well. :D

not so soon :hammers: once we know who is elected then we can go back to fighting over who else could have been a better choice. :biggrin2:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

Artfuldodger

It is no different than saying the Bible (insert any version) is the inspired word of God.

It is no different than saying a preacher/elder/deacon/priest (insert denomination) is inspired by God.

It is no different than saying a true Christian is inspired by God.

Et cetera...

The only thing that threw me off was the voting. Now maybe they do use dice to cast their lot, then it would be divine intervention. A person becomes a Christrian without a committee.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
The only thing that threw me off was the voting. Now maybe they do use dice to cast their lot, then it would be divine intervention. A person becomes a Christrian without a committee.

Why would that throw you off? The Bible was a vote on inspired books. Many preachers are "voted" in for a church. A vote is a safe way of keeping personal prejudices from infiltrating a decision. Once that prejudice dictates a direction, more often than not the direction is more man (singular) inspired than God inspired.

Artfuldodger

Why would that throw you off? The Bible was a vote on inspired books. Many preachers are "voted" in for a church. A vote is a safe way of keeping personal prejudices from infiltrating a decision. Once that prejudice dictates a direction, more often than not the direction is more man (singular) inspired than God inspired.

Cleromancy is a form of divination using sortition, casting of lots, or casting bones or stones, in which an outcome is determined by means that normally would be considered random, such as the rolling of dice, but are sometimes believed to reveal the will of God, or other supernatural entities.

I would only consider voting the same as casting lots if one was to say every vote was 100% inspired by God. I would also consider it a strange way for God to intervene.

bigdawg25

we have the first pope outside Europe in the modern world. I hope this is the change we all crave so much.

I know some folks are prejudiced against catholic church, some due to past historic divides, many due to all the current scandals. I just want to remind them the good stuff the church does for millions of folks everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QYeST_9FUg

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Hopefully he picks the name Peter.