I had forgot how much work it was to butcher a hog. Much less two.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Yes sir some fine eating in your future ! Nice work , and you mentioned the cull peanuts . I’ve got a freezer full of wild pork that’s been eating cull peanuts and you are correct , makes a ton of difference

I couldn't believe the difference they make in the meat, the marbling, but expecially the taste. Blindfolded I"m not sure I could have identified it as pork the first time I tried it. It has a buttery, nutty taste.

SemperFiDawg

For anyone who is interested, he has a few more. I may get another one this weekend if I'm up to it. Would like to do some canadian bacon and have some Boerwors sausage which is actually the best sausage I've ever eaten. You take red wine and mix this in with the wine and let it sit for several hours, then grind it all together. It's so aromatic when you are grinding it the neighbors will come to see where the good smell is coming from, but you may have to shoot them when you start cooking it.

819Gr4zuGdL._SL1500_.jpg

That's what it is, Leggs.'s bulk form. I've tried a lot of seasonings over the years, and it's far and away the best to me.

Gotcha! Yes sir! It does make some great tasting sausage!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We used to kill several every year, it's a lot of work for a group of people, much less one.

SemperFiDawg

That’s the way we did at least 2 every Fall when I was a chap. We had cold enough weather in November in NEGA back then.
Congrats to you on being able to whip that job out with no rest.

Is this the knife you like?

https://radakitchenstore.com/collections/all-knives/products/regular-paring-knife

That’s it. I have several that were my grandmothers and used them for decades before I found out they still make them and they are just as good as the old ones. They are all I use for cleaning deer and hogs, boning, ets and they work great for any kitchen job as well. I cleaned and boned them 2 hogs with one and never touched the blade other than strike it on the sharpening steel a few times to realign the edge.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Try one on your next deer. Just don’t try to cut bones. I use a sawzall for the brisket and to halve the carcass

I use them to peel apples for applesauce. They are so thin and you can get them so sharp, I shaved off the tip of my thumb one day and didn't even notice it till after the fact.

deermaster13

Yes sir you done a fine job and by yourself on top of it! I'm shaking my head thinking about doing one no less 2 of them by myself. Be some fine eating though.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
That’s it. I have several that were my grandmothers and used them for decades before I found out they still make them and they are just as good as the old ones. They are all I use for cleaning deer and hogs, boning, ets and they work great for any kitchen job as well. I cleaned and boned them 2 hogs with one and never touched the blade other than strike it on the sharpening steel a few times to realign the edge.

I just ordered 3 from EBay for $19. Thanks for the recommendation.

pop pop jones

Glad to know I didn't have to do what you did. Our new administration may cause me to have to give it a try, but there's still hope.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Make it, pack it, eat it. We love deer and hog sausage homemade. flatten the packs and they will freeze quick. Ya just can't beat good help

Attachments

• deer sausage.jpg
    deer sausage.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 18
  • butchering.jpg
    butchering.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 20

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a couple of those old Rada knives. They're good quality.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
We have a few of those Rada knives too. The pairing knife is my fav.
Anybody like the Cutco knives? I think H22 has what they call a Salmon knife and likes it pretty good.