I surprised em down to the Walmart

Baroque Brass

I went to Wally World today to get staple items because they’re way cheaper than Publix and I had a case of water on the bottom of the buggy. I don’t like buying water but my wife takes it to work because she says the water there is awful. Anyway, I checked out hurriedly (I’m always in a hurry to get out of Walmart) and was putting things in the truck when I realized I didn’t pay for the water. The day was already sweltering and I had cold stuff I needed to get home. I started to just take the water and call and let them know I’d be back to pay but I hustled back in with the water and paid for it. I told the self checkout watchdog what I was doing and he was surprised, saying not many folks would do that. I’m no saint by any means but my conscience wouldn’t let me steal the water. I could’ve put it in the truck and not said a word but I just can’t do it. I kinda figure most of us here would do the same thing.

Redbow

You are a good man to take the water back in and pay for it. I had that happen to me one day years ago with a bag of dog food. I checked my check out list and sure nuff the dog food was not on there. I always shopped on Friday mornings right after wally world opened so the next Friday I went to the manager and told him what had happened the week before with the dog food. He told me to go ahead and shop for what I needed and he would meet me at the cashier's station when I checked out. He did just that and he told the cashier to charge me with two bags of dog food.

The manager did thank me for being honest about the mistake. I had no intentions of stealing the bag of dog food, I just ain't built that way.

Lilly001

If I’m going to be a thief, and shame my family and myself, it won’t be for something trivial.
And I much doubt it’ll be for anything in this mortal world.
Thats just the way I was raised.
And even if it’s not your intent, once you become aware of it, it’s on you.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
i have done that same sort of thing at Lowes. I think it was a breaker that was around 30 bucks

I worked for a man once that was offered $100 bucks to tell his boss a part wasn't worth as much as they wanted for it, and get the man that wanted the part a better price. I told him, I bet that ticked you off, to think you could be bought like that. He said, well, it wasn't the thought that I could be bought, It was the thought I could be bought so cheap

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I went to Ace today and picked up two electric items that screw together. Cashier only rang up one when I said that total isn't right there are two items she rang up the second. Then didn't say thanks for being honest, kiss my grits, or even have a nice day. Felt good to be honest even for a 4.50 item but was disappointed in the clerks no response.

K80Shooter

I did that with a bottle of spice one day, I got home before I realized it.

I drove back and took it out of my pocket and scanned it and paid.

I then walked over to customer service and told them what I did and showed them receipt then left. Nothing was said, the clerk just stood there looking at me and didn't know what to do or say, I guess.

Reactions: Dub

oldfella1962

I have paid for things and left them behind in the store before! facepalm:
I guess it would even out (Karma wise) if I ever forget to pay for something
in the future! :unsure: Seriously though, I am paranoid about accidentally forgetting to pay for something. I check then double check when I am using the self-checkout when shopping. Here in Columbia County, they would very likely arrest me for shoplifting. :( In Augusta (Richmond County) the cops have serious/violent crimes to worry about. They won't waste their time on what they know would be chalked up to an honest mistake anyway.

Disappointing though when a store won't even acknowledge a customer doing "the right thing" by being honest. Apathy is contagious in the workplace.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
The Walmarks around here have a door guard that wants to see your receipt when you walk out.
I walk past them and smile. If they say something, I tell them to call security and keep on walking.

They haven't yet.

Liberty

Years ago, I put gas in my car, went inside and paid for a drink and then accidentally left without paying for the gas. The cashier didn’t mention anything, but it dawned on me as I was getting on the highway. I turned around at the next exit, went back inside and paid for the gas. A Troup County Deputy pulled in the parking lot as I was walking out, I waved at him and he drove off with a chuckle at realizing the “thief” was just a kid that forgot to pay for gas while he was inside buying a drink. The Hogansville attendant didn’t even bother to call the cops off me. I’ve thought about that over the years and though about how close I was to getting into trouble by accident and what a witch that cashier was not to call them back when I showed back up. I reckon being honest saved me a trip to the pokey that evening.

Jim Baker

Staff member
It works both ways at least some of the time.

Got home after a visit to the local Walmart to discover all my groceries weren't their. Went back and looked for the clerk that checked me out. She wasn't at the register so I went to the customer service. Told the CS clerk what had happened. She ask me what was in the bag. I told her and she handed me the bag with everything in it. The check out clerk had turned it in before she went off duty.

oldfella1962

Years ago the young lady at the bank drive thru gave me too much cash back.
They were surprised when I walked in & returned it.
I told them I would have come in if she sorted me. I didn't see any difference.
A couple of years ago at a local Wells Fargo a drive-thru a clerk put a container of around 8,000 dollars into the wrong tube. Hilarity ensued when one of the customers drove off with somebody else's 8,000 dollars never to return. :(

LTZ25

I've never seen a bank that would let anyone have that much cash without coming inside .

Reactions: Dub

oldfella1962

I've never seen a bank that would let anyone have that much cash without coming inside .
I just researched it - sort of - the site had an adblocker has to be disabled thing. But it was Dekalb County where it happened (no surprise) and the bank did pay the person back thankfully, since it was their screw-up. But I did get it right sort of - it was all a drive-thru deal for about 8 or 9 grand.

Latest posts