Idaho Elk trip - Long read, pic heavy

pasinthrough

I just got back from the Selway Bitterroot region of Idaho. This was a fly in on a small Cessna from Hamilton, MT and horseback ride about 12 miles that took us about 45 miles total away from civilization. We contracted with 51 Ranch Outfitters to setup a spike camp for us and get the three of us back to the camp with their stock. Daily, I hiked between 9-14 miles climbing 1,200 - 1,500' or more through the ridges and draws.

We all had been working real hard on conditioning for the past year but that country is the roughest I've ever encountered in the lower 48. Everywhere seemed uphill and very steep. The week we were there, the moon was full and the bulls bugled very little. A good rain event and lower temps came through on Saturday and I ended up finding a bull that wanted to play the game on Sunday, just before noon. He was working a ridge left and right about 300 yards out. I dropped off the point I was on and setup in the middle of a burned hillside about 3/4 the way down on a small bench. I had a guy calling behind me about 90 yards and after a bit of cat and mouse, the bull broke off and started my way. He stopped at the bottom of the hill about 150 yards away and bugled. I've setup on enough turkeys to know he was committed at that point and it shouldn't be much longer before I could see him. About a minute or so later, I saw his tines start to appear from below the bench as he approached. I drew just before his eyes made it above the horizon. As he topped the bench at 23 yards, he turned towards me and bugled for the last time. Screaming in my face with that gutteral and high pitched note at the same time made my hair stand on end. I put an arrow through the near shoulder but as he ran off, I noticed I did not get as much penetration as I would have liked due to the heavy muscle and bone of that shoulder. He stopped after a cow call at 40 yards and faced me. I put a followup arrow through the base of his neck and took out his heart. He crashed downhill about 115 yards and fell a few seconds later.

I gave him a few minutes and picked up the trail. Where he went downhill, it looked like a skid steer went through there. The trail was easy to follow and we found him after only a few minutes of searching. We had to clear a good amount of brush so we could take photos and have room to start quartering him up.

He was shot at 1pm and when he was caped, quartered and hung, it was 6pm. It took a total of 7 trips to get everything out of that draw and up to the main trail to where we could get it on the horses. Roughly 500 feet of vertical travel over 600 yards of distance. Moving around in the thick reminded me of navigating a 5 year old clear cut.

Our group had other close calls, but none of them panned out. This was one hunt I have been dreaming of for about 25 years now. The first elk tag I've ever purchased and the most challenging environment I've ever been in.

The outfitter we used will do a spike camp or you can add a guide. I will tell you, they told us that most bowhunters come and bowhunt for one day, then pick up the rifle due to how difficult it is there. That wasn't our style. We all worked very hard and will be back in the elk woods very soon.

The 7x7 bull should easily make P&Y. I'll have him scored in November once the skull dries per the rules.

If any of you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Attachments

• IMG_6674 resized.jpg
    IMG_6674 resized.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,801
  • IMG_6685 resized.jpg
    IMG_6685 resized.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 1,819
  • IMG_6703 resized.jpg
    IMG_6703 resized.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 1,794
  • IMG_6712 resized.jpg
    IMG_6712 resized.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 1,795
  • IMG_6717 resized.jpg
    IMG_6717 resized.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 1,826
  • IMG_6810 resized.jpg
    IMG_6810 resized.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 1,798
  • IMG_6751resized.jpg
    IMG_6751resized.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,773
  • IMG_6783 resized.jpg
    IMG_6783 resized.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 1,797
  • bull 1 rezized.jpg
    bull 1 rezized.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 1,823
  • IMG_6778 resized.jpg
    IMG_6778 resized.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 1,820
  • IMG_6808 resized.jpg
    IMG_6808 resized.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 1,806
  • IMG_6820 resized.jpg
    IMG_6820 resized.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 1,781
  • IMG_6805 resized.jpg
    IMG_6805 resized.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 1,807
  • IMG_6855 resized.jpg
    IMG_6855 resized.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 1,792
  • IMG_6875.JPG
    IMG_6875.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 1,787

BornToHuntAndFish

Whoa, what an incredible trip, story, & photos. Congrats on your very impressive, well earned rocking bow bull success. Thanks for posting, Sir.

:cool:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Great pics and story. Congrats

Mudfeather

awesome...happy for you...

uturn

Wow!! Just Awesome...great read, photos and bull!!!

Hunt of a Life Time...Congratulations!

On My Bucket List...right at the Top!!

countryboy27012

Congrats on an Awesome Bull!

This hunt, along with the scenery, the landscape & the experience must have been truly something!

I bet those Elk Back Straps were good that night!

pasinthrough

Man that is awesome! No doubt the trip of a lifetime. Just curious... What broad head did you use?

Idaho is very basic. No mechanical heads, no battery devices on you bow, period. No sight lights, cameras, lighted nocks, etc.

I went with the Ramcat Diamondback 100 grain due to the fixed 1 1/16" three blade cut. The hole in the neck was as large as a baseball when we skinned him and the penetration was full length of the arrow, about 29".

This is the arrow and hole in the skinned shoulder. Lots of damage.

Attachments

• IMG_6779 resized.jpg
    IMG_6779 resized.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 1,548

Stump06

Thats awesome! Congrats on your bull. I went elk hunting for the first time this year, Colorado public land DIY. Those mountains aint no joke!