If God Held a Gun to Your Head....

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
...and told you that to atone for your wickedness, you could only fish one pattern of dry fly and one pattern of nymph the rest of your life, what would yours be?

I'd say mine would be a Yellow Palmer and a Pat's Rubber Legs.
I'd have to be honest with the Lord and tell him that I didn't know the difference between a dry fly and a nymph but would love to learn! :LOL:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pat’s rubber leg for me. I Would probably go hungry with it in the Wintertime though!!:(
They still hit 'em in the winter here if they're hitting anything. Better than they hit most traditional patterns.

turkeykirk

They still hit 'em in the winter here if they're hitting anything. Better than they hit most traditional patterns.

What size and color do you use in the Pats Rubber Legs?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What size and color do you use in the Pats Rubber Legs?
Mostly two variations: a #10-#12 (3x long curved hooks,) in coffee/black with black spanflex legs is the best all around. If I'm targeting bigger browns, I'll use the same sizes or sometimes bigger in yellow/black with black legs.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I mean really, is this a real question?

As Norman Maclean says, it's pretty certain that God is a dry fly fisherman...no nymphs needed...

I know that's now exactly how the story goes but it sounds good...
Norman McLean wanted to catch 7" fish instead of bigguns. :)

I love catching fish on dry flies, but I also like catching fish.

Tight Lines

The first trout I ever caught on a fly rod was with a prince nymph. So that's my favorite nymph.

If I had to pick a favorite dry, I'd pick a yellow humpy.
The biggest trout I've ever caught on a nymph were all #22-26 little bitty things...not even much of a fly...can barely see them...

Personally I love big old stimulators and for streamers, a simply white clouser minnow...I caught about 25 browns in a single day on the same fly on the Henry's Fork once...it finally unraveled about 3:30 and we took out about 4...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest trout I've ever caught on a nymph were all #22-26 little bitty things...not even much of a fly...can barely see them...

Personally I love big old stimulators and for streamers, a simply white clouser minnow...I caught about 25 browns in a single day on the same fly on the Henry's Fork once...it finally unraveled about 3:30 and we took out about 4...
I don't think I have a single fly in my box smaller than a #16, and I almost never use the #16s. Most of the stuff I use looks like half a chicken tied on a hook. :bounce: