If I find bait for turkeys I will report it, period. Will you?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Common sense tells me something is going on each turkey season that don't pass the smell test. During deer season, we see plenty turkeys, gobblers included. Just about two weeks before open spring season, those birds leave and don't come back. Opening weekend I hear shots coming from the same farm fields. Even if I hear a roosting gobbler near our property line, when he flies down, he goes to those fields. My calling means nothing to them. Probably because they follow the hens. Near the end of season, hens are nesting. Then some gobbler sign will show up on our property again, because they are roaming. Trying to connect with feeding hens off the nest midday. But there's not many gobblers left by that time. And if I do manage to get one or two, they might have shot turning green in the meat. We didn't have that problem when most adjacent properties were wooded around us. Lots of habitat loss around us now, with pastures and farming. Sure takes the enjoyment out of turkey hunting. After the season closes in May, we begin seeing turkeys again. We have about 15 plots with oats, wheat and clover planted. But no feed is put out during turkey season. In fact nobody puts out any feed after deer season. Tight wads save their feed money for next deer season.

lampern

1. It shall be unlawful for any person to place, expose, deposit, distribute, or scatter any corn, wheat, or other grains, salts, apples, or other feeds or bait so as to constitute a lure or attraction or enticement for any game bird or game animal on or over any area where hunters are or will be hunting.

1. Except as otherwise provided by law or regulation, it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt any game bird or game animal upon, over, around, or near any place where any corn, wheat, or other grains, salts, apples, or other feed or bait has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered so as to constitute a lure, attraction, or enticement to such birds or animals. It shall also be unlawful to hunt any game animal or game bird upon, over, around, or near any such place for a period of ten days following the complete removal of all such feed or bait.

1. Any person who takes any big game animal, other than deer, within 200 yards of any place where any corn, wheat, or other grains, salts, apples, or other feed or bait has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered so as to constitute a lure, attraction, or enticement for any game bird or game animal shall, upon conviction of thereof, be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature and shall be punished as provided by Code Section 17-10-4
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2020/title-27/chapter-3/article-1/part-1/section-27-3-9/

OK game wardens and lawyers does this mean 200 yards or not?

bigblocktransam

Heck with, let em bait. The turkeys are on their way to extinction, the DNR and WRD wont do anything about it. I say let’s finish em off.

Mexican Squealer

Heck with, let em bait. The turkeys are on their way to extinction, the DNR and WRD wont do anything about it. I say let’s finish em off.

You seem “wise” from previous posts...what should the govt be doing to “save the turkeys”....what are YOU doing to help?? Bet I know the answer....

turkeykirk

No, unless I want the meth addicts to burn down my cottage that they break into every few months.

If they burn it down, that would solve your breaking and interning problem.:biggrin3:

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
If they burn it down, that would solve your breaking and interning problem.:biggrin3:
Modern problems require modern solutions. I thought about calling the warden and police, but what do you do with people who literally stole underwear and a used tooth brush after they carted off everything else?

Their technique is to throw corn out in every bottom that they can get an atv to and then ride from bait site to bait site and shoot from the wheeler or try to hear one nearby.

TomC

Kentucky has a good law. You have to stop putting feed out before turkey season. Two weeks or 30 days before, I’m not sure which but I think that’s what all states should do. That eliminates any alibis or excuses.

More like a month and half. KY turkey season opened April 16th and the regulations regarding baiting / feeding states, " From March 1 through May 31, it is illegal to feed wildlife with grain, seed or manufactured animal feed....." Takes the ambiguity out of it!