Turkey baiting dilemma

RatherB

BANNED
So the club next to me just got a new group of hunters this year. The previous group of guys were always great and I never had any issues.
Since this new group took over I have found litter on my land that was not ours and suspect these guys have trespassed. they target practice across a clearcut which our camp sits across. And they shot a button head at a feeder last season right on property line and the bullet would have traveled right down into the woods where my thirteen year old son hunts. We actually watched this little buck get killed after he walked past me and made his way to their feeder.
The property manager refuses to give me their contact info even after I mentioned the above concerns.

Now to Turkey season. The feeder is still full. It’s 40 yards from my line and I see corn all over the ground. They have a pop up ground blind 20 yards from feeder. Sunday morning while I was hunting other side of property I heard them shoot near this blind/feeder. I went over to see if I could catch them but they were already gone.

So I called the property manager again to let him know this is illegal, unethical and unsafe.
He tells me to call DNR which I said I was going to as soon as I hung up.

Here is the dilemma..

Dnr is going to (hopefully) stake it out and catch them in the act. In meantime, I won’t be able to hunt turkeys on at least a portion of my property. I only have 100 acres which even if they tell me I can hunt some of my property, just not this corner, it’s going to take out a big part of my land the rest of the season.
Turkeys have historically roosted in this corner and now with their stupid feeder, they go to and from this area everyday.

What would you do?

Dean

Let the DNR handle it. And would keep calling to report until they do. Much better to "give up" a few weeks of turkey season for hopefully better neighbors in the long term. I know it is not always the case, as some folks simply never choose to do the right, ethical thing. Ethics are rarely covered and protected by laws however if they are hunting over any type of feed, they should get caught breaking a game law. Hopefully when they do, word of mouth will get out that your tract and the neighboring tracts are "actively" watched by DNR and just maybe that will help....

Report it, they will be super grateful. DNR told me turkey baiting is very tough to stop without tips and its become extremely rampant.

Cell cams, wheat seed or similar grains in random flats or spots, plus the normalization of year round deer feeders (meaning they sit empty or full during turk season, its normal to see a feeder body in a plot now during spring) have made it very, very difficult to stop turkey baiting.

Killing turkeys over or headed to/from a bait pile is pathetic.

Big7

The Oracle
DNR and let the Sheriff's office know as well.

ddd-shooter

Yep, easy call. Call the DNR. I would’ve done that before coming here, lol

What’s your choice? Keep hunting a baited area? Come on, that’s not gonna pay off in the long run.
At least if you let DNR know, you can also get a clear line of where you CAN hunt in the meantime.