I'm getting the itch to set some traps again...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I keep riding my ranger around the perimeter of The Railroader Ranch, and on the rare occasion that it's dried out a bit, I've seen a few new tracks and wheelspins...

It's cooling off a bit at night, and when I leave for work at Odarkthirty, I am wishing I had a few traps to run and check.

Facing another storm tomorrow, and more water I don't need, I'm thinking that after it's done, I will set a few in the high spots and hope to get lucky....

These would be in places he will HAVE TO travel if he comes thru, but without the benefit of fresh sign.

Fool's errand, or good plan?

Last edited:

2dye4

All 3 could see each other from where they were caught. My strategy this year is to set a lot close together in about 4-5 different places and rotate every few weeks so they don’t get trap smart.

2dye4

If you don’t have them in the ground now I’d wait til after the rain of course and set as many as I could. I had a customer today tell me he had traps he didn’t use and I am wanting to buy them. I like picking up cheap traps that folks aren’t patient to let a predator to put their paw on.

CritterCatcher

If I waited to see sign before setting, more than half of my traps would never be set. I have never been of the opinion that you should only set on sign. If it's there, by all means, set it and set it heavy, but if it ain't, that's where experience comes in knowing where to set.

Doug B.

If I waited to see sign before setting, more than half of my traps would never be set. I have never been of the opinion that you should only set on sign. If it's there, by all means, set it and set it heavy, but if it ain't, that's where experience comes in knowing where to set.
There are times I might set where I can't see sign, but for the most part I set on sign. And I encourage everybody to set on sign. If they are not using a spot then setting a trap there will not make them start using it. The few times I set where I can't see sign it's usually cause they can't leave sing there whether the ground is too hard or its rocky or something like that. Then I might set because of a gut feeling that I could catch one there. They don't always use the exact same places every year.

By the way CC, I'm not posting this to argue with you. I value your opinion and methods and if setting where there is no sign works for you then by all means set it! I'm just posting what works best for me.

2dye4

Well, my decision has been made for me.

After today's monsoon, I have exactly ZERO viable options... Ol' Digger ain't coming thru my place unless he's got a snorkel and swimmin' flippers. :cautious:(n)
A lot of rain usually dampers the mood. I’ll probably have to reset some. I know I’ll have to reset 3 because they had caught 3 yotes. My dad can’t reset them because he doesn’t have the experience, but he can shot them and get them out.