In need of a new cam…

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Been out of the game for awhile. I know cell cams are hot but not sure I want the added expense. Any advice on good quality trail cam? Thanks in advance.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have had the best luck with the cheapest ones with the least amount of features. Every fancy one I buy conks out or gets stolen. Most of the places I run them don't have a cell signal, and I don't want to pay extra monthly for a cell plan anyway. I have some cheap WGIs that have been running 24/7 for years and do a good job.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I have had the best luck with the cheapest ones with the least amount of features. Every fancy one I buy conks out or gets stolen. Most of the places I run them don't have a cell signal, and I don't want to pay extra monthly for a cell plan anyway. I have some cheap WGIs that have been running 24/7 for years and do a good job.
My Cabelas brand ran great for 3 years but just all died this year at the same time.

rosewood

Had Spypoints and they kept breaking. Customer service was awful. Switched to tactacam and have been happy. Have 1 original still running, had a 2.0 that ants got in and shorted out. Just replaced with the same cam. So far looks good. They rolled my subscription to new cam without issue. I screwed up the swap myself. They fixed it over email.

Wireless cams are addictive. Once u get used to the photos without driving to the woods and being able to monitor critters 24/7, you feel lost without it. Wearing out the mineral blocks now.

Rosewood

Attachments

• 13689af7-45c9-4dd3-9235-3dbb5b82fc62.jpg
    13689af7-45c9-4dd3-9235-3dbb5b82fc62.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 27
  • dc4b2300-3dcd-4590-86a4-7d7667ef9ae3.jpg
    dc4b2300-3dcd-4590-86a4-7d7667ef9ae3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

rosewood

I am kind of partial to the cams that just have switches instead of a menu to muddle thru. Much easier to setup. Usually cheaper too.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Been out of the game for awhile. I know cell cams are hot but not sure I want the added expense. Any advice on good quality trail cam? Thanks in advance.

This should be an easy choice on one hand, just go buy the most expensive one you can find, maybe call Daniel Defense and see if they make one, or have a suggestion...

Knowing your disdain for anything Chinese, I hope you can find a US made camera with good Google reviews, that will take 6000 pics in an afternoon with zero malfunctions.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
This should be an easy choice on one hand, just go buy the most expensive one you can find, maybe call Daniel Defense and see if they make one, or have a suggestion...

Knowing your disdain for anything Chinese, I hope you can find a US made camera with good Google reviews, that will take 6000 pics in an afternoon with zero malfunctions.
Not sure but ridge tech maybe one.

bullgator

In November of ‘21 I stopped at Bass Pro in Macon with a bunch of rewards points. Since I wanted a camera for my 5 acre homestead I wasn’t looking for a cell cam. I bought a Browning for about $175. Spec Op, Dark Op, or something like that. It’s still on its first set of lithium batteries. It has very few false video takes and will record a cow at 50 yards!. It sits on a stake just inches behind a barbed wire fence and will trigger fast enough to catch a moving mouse on the wire just 4” in front of it. The camo cover is already starting to sun fade and I haven’t even swapped batteries.

transfixer

;) I started to go there earlier this morning ,,

Arrow3

Im a big lover of cell cams. Stay away from Moultire and Spypoint. Tactacam makes a dang good camera. I am still running 3 of the 1st generation with zero problems. I also have a spartan go cam which is great if you want video with sound sent to you.

As far as non cell cams go, for quality Browning makes great cameras. For cheap disposable types I run a good many of the cheap tasco cameras that Walmart sells . Mainly on public land in case they grow legs and walk off.

rosewood

transfixer

For non cell cams I used to like Bushnell Trophy cams, but after buying a Browning Strike Force I liked the pictures much better, clearer both night and day, if I buy any more non cells it will probably be those, batteries last longer also, I have two tactacams, one original and one X, for cell cams I'll buy those if I need another