In the market for a new tractor and would like some opinions.

shdw633

I am looking for a 35 to 40 hp tractor with a front end loader and grapple. I'm not sure if I want HST or Shuttle yet, mainly going to use the tractor for food plots and moving hay and branches at my lease and home. The best price tractors I have found new has been an RK of which I can get it with the loader and grapple for just under $30k. I am still checking out TYM/Branson, LS, Massey Ferguson and Kioti. I've checked the prices on Orange and Green tractors and they seem just out of my price range, Mahindra tractors as well. I have found a TYM 39 used for $18,500 with a loader and a grappler with 235 hours on it and am toying with going that route depending on what percentage rate and length of time they will do on the loan. What do you all think, any suggestions or tips.

Robert28

With tractors and heavy equipment I always shop the dealer. Who’s the closest, who do others recommend that you ask, try to find some reviews online, parts and service is everything when it comes to tractors. Nobody, and I mean nobody does parts better than John Deere. But, the catch is most of their dealerships are conglomerates now, so the personal relationship may not be there. Kubota dealerships are fewer but most are privately owned.

Bucaramus

I'm happy with my Kioti 3510SE. Bought in SC and got a great deal. I liked my MF1734 (I think). The Kioti has more features for the $$.

sleepr71

I would give the Kioti a hard look,if buying new. They have really stepped up their game in the last few years. If you were OK with a slightly used tractor… I would really look at a Kubota, or MF, although you won’t be able to finance it, unless it was a trade-in ,and currently at a dealer. Lastly,ALWAYS buy more tractor than you think you need! IF you are talking about picking up & transporting round bales of hay(1000 + lbs)…I would want at least a 40 hp tractor..and 4x4..minimum.

mattb78

I bought more tractor than I thought I needed and haven't regretted even 1 horsepower.

What I do regret is saving the money on HST. It's too convenient not to have.

shdw633

I bought more tractor than I thought I needed and haven't regretted even 1 horsepower.

What I do regret is saving the money on HST. It's too convenient not to have.
I have driven an HST and it seems to me that having to keep that pedal mashed to keep moving forward would get old on a long and large foodplot or am I missing something?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have driven an HST and it seems to me that having to keep that pedal mashed to keep moving forward would get old on a long and large foodplot or am I missing something?

Some have a sort of cruise control setting

Bucaramus

My Kioti has cruise but I rarely use it. Seperate forward and reverse pedals instead of a treadle pedal. Using the pedal doesn't bother me a bit but if it did I'd set the cruise.

sleepr71

I’m used to bigger tractors,and older tractors..so not much experience with HST. Will a hydrostatic trans hold up to the same level of abuse that a gear driven trans. will ?? Say..working 2-3 hours pulling a Harrow,or brush mowing for hours & hours.?

Bucaramus

I’m used to bigger tractors,and older tractors..so not much experience with HST. Will a hydrostatic trans hold up to the same level of abuse that a gear driven trans. will ?? Say..working 2-3 hours pulling a Harrow,or brush mowing for hours & hours.?
Mine has but I don't put a ton of hours on one. Branson, MF, and Kioti all have never had an issue. My main use is mowing. Harrow some and loader work.

Bucaramus

Ran a 6 ft tiller 10 hrs straight this past week behind my 1968 Ford 4000 diesel.

If I was going to spend 30 k on a tractor I would buy a worn older tractor and have it rebuilt. No emissions.

Massey Ferguson or Ford.
Knowing what I know now, if I was buying another one I'd but used or new Kioti 26HP. Same frame as the 35 and 40. No emissions and it is actually the same engine in all 3. The CK2610 can be "turned up" to around 42HP. ECM and tune prevent this on the 35 and 40.

So, 42HP tractor with no emissions sounds good to me.

Bucaramus

I am looking for a 35 to 40 hp tractor with a front end loader and grapple. I'm not sure if I want HST or Shuttle yet, mainly going to use the tractor for food plots and moving hay and branches at my lease and home. The best price tractors I have found new has been an RK of which I can get it with the loader and grapple for just under $30k. I am still checking out TYM/Branson, LS, Massey Ferguson and Kioti. I've checked the prices on Orange and Green tractors and they seem just out of my price range, Mahindra tractors as well. I have found a TYM 39 used for $18,500 with a loader and a grappler with 235 hours on it and am toying with going that route depending on what percentage rate and length of time they will do on the loan. What do you all think, any suggestions or tips.
Not sure where you're located but if anywhere near Jackson county hit me up and I'll let you test out mine in the real world instead of driving around in a parking lot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
For a new tractor on a budget, I'd get a Kioti. Couple of my buddies have them, I've ran them a good bit, and they're good, reliable machines for the money.