In Training

cj580guitar

How is she doing on staying within range and coming back to you when called? I'm not ready to let my 7 month old off the check cord yet....
She does good so far. She will run out in front 50-75 yards but she doesn’t go much more then that. If I whistle she will turn and make her way back. This is my first bird dog pup so I hope what I’m doing is the right thing to do.

ghadarits

It sounds like you’re heading in the right direction. I’ve been working with a Drahthaar so know what you’re going through. With my dogs I do as little correction as I can mostly keeping her within a reasonable range other than that she’s pretty solid with out much direction from me. They’re bred to point so they mostly do it on their own.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I haven’t been able to hunt or do much physically the past two years so my GSP has got to get a thorough restart. I have woodcock in the front yard now showing up. Walking down the driveway this morning Bullet pointed a woodcock the
Broke point and went after the bird. I’ve got two weeks before my next shoulder replacement so I’ll work him the best I can before the surgery.

cj580guitar

I haven’t been able to hunt or do much physically the past two years so my GSP has got to get a thorough restart. I have woodcock in the front yard now showing up. Walking down the driveway this morning Bullet pointed a woodcock the
Broke point and went after the bird. I’ve got two weeks before my next shoulder replacement so I’ll work him the best I can before the surgery.
TB I hope you have get through your surgery easy and quick.
On a side note I took a friend of mine out to the farm to deer hunt this morning and I thought I saw a woodcock flying across the field a daylight this morning. Not 100% sure. My pup is going to a trainer this weekend. So I’ll be without her for a couple of weeks.
What part of the state are you in ? Thanks CJ

trad bow

Middle Georgia. Putnam county

coachdoug87

Hope the surgery goes well and you will be able to get back out there before too long.

trad bow

Maybe but you are closer to the basin in Louisiana

trad bow

Thank you sir. This will be my fifth shoulder surgery since September of 2022. Three rotator and both shoulder replacement surgery

spring

Pretty cool when a young pup makes a big step forward. As I mentioned a few posts back, I've been reluctant to let my 7 month old English setter pup loose when I hunt so she can get out and learn as the simple ability to get to her come back when called has been slow coming. She's a hunting fool and simply loves it when released; hearing my calls when way on out has been optional....
I finally introduced an electronic collar, but have only set it on vibrate. We worked on that a bit and it worked in close range... So yesterday, while letting her hunt with my older and experienced French Brittany, I finally got tired of holding the check cord and let her go... And of course, soon she was 200+ yards away, out of sight, and loving the freedom. So I hit the button. I called out for her to return. Immediately she was at 180 yards, 150 yards, and in short order she came running to me with the excitement of a pup that has suddenly found her purpose. We hunted for another hour or so and she positively responded exactly as I wanted from distance over and over. Progress!
Oh, and we found 4 coveys. My older dog did the hard part, but she got in there and helped. Fun times!

Tired!

zykHRM8W_o.gif

cj580guitar

Pretty cool when a young pup makes a big step forward. As I mentioned a few posts back, I've been reluctant to let my 7 month old English setter pup loose when I hunt so she can get out and learn as the simple ability to get to her come back when called has been slow coming. She's a hunting fool and simply loves it when released; hearing my calls when way on out has been optional....
I finally introduced an electronic collar, but have only set it on vibrate. We worked on that a bit and it worked in close range... So yesterday, while letting her hunt with my older and experienced French Brittany, I finally got tired of holding the check cord and let her go... And of course, soon she was 200+ yards away, out of sight, and loving the freedom. So I hit the button. I called out for her to return. Immediately she was at 180 yards, 150 yards, and in short order she came running to me with the excitement of a pup that has suddenly found her purpose. We hunted for another hour or so and she positively responded exactly as I wanted from distance over and over. Progress!
Oh, and we found 4 coveys. My older dog did the hard part, but she got in there and helped. Fun times!

Tired!

zykHRM8W_o.gif
Glad to hear she did good when you released her. My pup did just about the same thing the first time or two I let her go. Only difference we didn’t have any birds !!