Interesting Website

B. White

I've never been interested or had time to mess with the ancestry type websites. I've had some family members spent hours on them, but I usual can find something else to do.

I saw a couple of screenshots from this one on another forum and it looked interesting and is free, so tried it out this morning. I went to create family tree and put in about two names of deceased folks and it populated way on back, like around 900-1000 for some lines.

Edit: It appears to hide folks who are still living.

oldfella1962

Yup. It's great
I sort wish I could research my family history. But my mom was adopted, and my "dad" might not be my biological father. Thus, finding my roots is a dead end. :(

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I've done a lot on both that site and ancestry.com. I've got most of my family lines traced back several hundred years.

B. White

Yeah, I've done a lot on both that site and ancestry.com. I've got most of my family lines traced back several hundred years.

I probably benefited from the work done by kin, since I waited until now to look at it. My wife isn't getting near as much info on her side. I spent about 5 mins and got a lot.

She looked at this one and said she didn't know I was mixed

1716591557451.png

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
The Redhead has spent long years doing geneological research on both our families. She`s found that she`s related to Robert The Bruce, Harold Bluetooth, and several other bloodthirsty, notorious makers of history. All she has found about me is that I have a lot of moonshiners, turpentiners, and hog thieves in my line. What can I say? We did steal the best. :)

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Very cool. Thanks for posting Was able, within a few minutes, track back my lineage on my grandmother's side to year 1273 in Sweden! I could go down a rabbit hole with this!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool. Thanks for posting Was able, within a few minutes, track back my lineage on my grandmother's side to year 1273 in Sweden! I could go down a rabbit hole with this!
One line of my Mom's family, I traced back to Sweden. The earliest record I could find at the dead end of it was a Swedish Military feller in the late 1600s named Olaf the Musketeer. He ain't on yours, is he? We might be Viking cousins. :)

Most of my family lines I've researched go back to Scotland, with a good bit of England and fairly good amount of Ireland, a good dose of German, and a touch of French and Dutch, and one Tuscarora woman in the mid 1700s. Surprisingly, given where I live at, I have found absolutely no Cherokee that I can verify in the mix.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I'll have to spend a little more time digging around. I did see one name that started with "Lord".

Hillbilly stalker

Saw a program the other day where people found out some things they wished they didn’t. They found out the bull done got out of the pen and had to ask some hard questions. Some things better left alone. Mite not be enough forks in the family tree as should be. :rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to spend a little more time digging around. I did see one name that started with "Lord".
The only sophisticated feller I found in my family tree was on my main paternal Parker line. He was a feller named William Parker who was the Archdeacon of Cornwall back in the early 1600s. One of his grandsons was the first Parker of my line to flee to America, after getting crosswise with Oliver Cromwell in the English Civil War. His other descendants, many of whom were "Sir" so-and-so, still live in a fancypants estate in England that looks like the Biltmore House. They probably wear neckties to eat supper. I've threatened to fly over there and show up knocking on their door in a pair of camo shorts, Reef flipflops, a Skynyrd Tshirt, and a Carharrt cap, telling them I'm their long-lost cousin. :rofl:

Tblank

The only sophisticated feller I found in my family tree was on my main paternal Parker line. He was a feller named William Parker who was the Archdeacon of Cornwall back in the early 1600s. One of his grandsons was the first Parker of my line to flee to America, after getting crosswise with Oliver Cromwell in the English Civil War. His other descendants, many of whom were "Sir" so-and-so, still live in a fancypants estate in England that looks like the Biltmore House. They probably wear neckties to eat supper. I've threatened to fly over there and show up knocking on their door in a pair of camo shorts, Reef flipflops, a Skynyrd Tshirt, and a Carharrt cap, telling them I'm their long-lost cousin. :rofl:
Love my Reef flops. The bottle opener on the bottom has come in handy a time or 2.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Started on those sites chasing my Dads side. It led to the name of a historian in Texas who had been studying the family. Digging after documents from him led to a distant cousin who had spent 15 years of her retirement mapping out the family linage. Turns out she had published her studies and that got me from the boat to my great great grandfather. The rest was easy as census records picked it up at my Great Grandfather. No Lords or Dukes, just plain Scots Irish folk that helped settled the wilderness of VA, KY and TN.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
The Redhead has spent long years doing geneological research on both our families. She`s found that she`s related to Robert The Bruce, Harold Bluetooth, and several other bloodthirsty, notorious makers of history. All she has found about me is that I have a lot of moonshiners, turpentiners, and hog thieves in my line. What can I say? We did steal the best. :)
Can only get back to Hiram Kirby Sr. on the Kirby side but Mama Dell's mama's side (Barrs) goes way back. Came over from Warwickshire England some time after 1749.
I've been able to go back on the Stanley/Watts side pretty far into English/Scottish roots.
Wendy has roots on her momma's side going back to clan chiefs of Scotland.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Folks are right, you’ll find stuff that surprises you. Some interesting, some unsettling.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I was on there a mere 30 mins. before I started finding mistakes that they won't let me change without calling them. And my reference beats theirs hands down.. quite sure my Mom knows who her Sisters are. Not too sure about the info on this site.

georgia_home

My son did his/ours as a school project. Same site mentioned by op. Found his grandparents and ggp on both sides. And a whole lineage on my wifes side.