Interesting Website

DannyW

One line of my Mom's family, I traced back to Sweden. The earliest record I could find at the dead end of it was a Swedish Military feller in the late 1600s named Olaf the Musketeer. He ain't on yours, is he? We might be Viking cousins. :)

Most of my family lines I've researched go back to Scotland, with a good bit of England and fairly good amount of Ireland, a good dose of German, and a touch of French and Dutch, and one Tuscarora woman in the mid 1700s. Surprisingly, given where I live at, I have found absolutely no Cherokee that I can verify in the mix.
I have found a lot of Cherokee blood on my dad's side of the family. Using Ancestry I have found my family tree back to the mid-1600's. When I get some time, I may use this site (familysearch.org) to see what else I can find.

There are several prominent Cherokee leaders in my family tree but the most famous was probably Young Tassell. In the 1700's he was the Principal Chief of the Eastern Tribe of Cherokee Indians. I take his title to mean he was the man who what was in charge. I have forgot exactly, but he was like my 7-8 GG. Lot's of other Cherokees in my family tree. None in at least 2-3 generations but I think I am still around 3-4% Cherokee.

Sometimes on questionaires or surveys, just to screw around with them, I will claim my race to be Native American. :rofl:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Mine crapped out in 1690, with a feller named James.

Nothing special about any of us, except a son of James, that was named Jehu Styles, which I thought was cool.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mine crapped out in 1690, with a feller named James.

Nothing special about any of us, except a son of James, that was named Jehu Styles, which I thought was cool.
My grandpa was named Jehu Ledger Parker.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If you’re researching yourself don’t limit yourself to census and birth records. Some documents that provide proof of a name in a location can be quite mundane but important in your search for evidence. One record in the study of my family is payment on wolf bounty. A receipt for collection of the bounty on several wolves was on file at the county.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I have found a lot of Cherokee blood on my dad's side of the family. Using Ancestry I have found my family tree back to the mid-1600's. When I get some time, I may use this site (familysearch.org) to see what else I can find.

There are several prominent Cherokee leaders in my family tree but the most famous was probably Young Tassell. In the 1700's he was the Principal Chief of the Eastern Tribe of Cherokee Indians. I take his title to mean he was the man who what was in charge. I have forgot exactly, but he was like my 7-8 GG. Lot's of other Cherokees in my family tree. None in at least 2-3 generations but I think I am still around 3-4% Cherokee.

Sometimes on questionaires or surveys, just to screw around with them, I will claim my race to be Native American. :rofl:
Found my Dad's Grandfather on the Baker Roll of the E.B.o.C. Now I have to drive up there and get a blood test to prove my lineage.

B. White

If you can find some back to Wales, that is the furthest I've seen so far, but took a while. Lots of names I can't pronounce, but looks like they had better records. Ran of patience at that point.

1716744452037.png

1716744478623.png

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Part of my family made the leap and went along Oregon trail. Speaking of finding the unexpected, this is from a diary of a family member after another family member made the trek and decided not to stay in Oregon.

“Well Jake and wife came out here last summer...but did not stay long. His wife was very much dissatisfied. It seames that she did not like the country ore the people and I pity the one that liked her. She is so blame ugly she makes the cold chilles run up a fellows back every time he looks at her! Poor Jake. I feel sory for him.”

transfixer

Problem I had is that it wouldn't let me make the changes I needed to due to there were more than 2 references on said subject. Once I finally got to talk to someone that understood what I was talk'n about it got real easy.

I messed up when I was trying to figure out the site , and put my mom's name in the box where my Dad's parents were supposed to be , not sure how I did that ? but it won't let me change it , or at least I can't figure out how to change it ? I've emailed them and explained what I did, hopefully they can tell me how to fix it .

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Part of my family made the leap and went along Oregon trail. Speaking of finding the unexpected, this is from a diary of a family member after another family member made the trek and decided not to stay in Oregon.

“Well Jake and wife came out here last summer...but did not stay long. His wife was very much dissatisfied. It seames that she did not like the country ore the people and I pity the one that liked her. She is so blame ugly she makes the cold chilles run up a fellows back every time he looks at her! Poor Jake. I feel sory for him.”
How ugly was Jake?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I messed up when I was trying to figure out the site , and put my mom's name in the box where my Dad's parents were supposed to be , not sure how I did that ? but it won't let me change it , or at least I can't figure out how to change it ? I've emailed them and explained what I did, hopefully they can tell me how to fix it .
Click on her name, when it shows up in the box on the right.. click on it again. When the next page opens you'll see little "pencils" to the right of each data point.. click on that and edit to the correct name and info. Then go back and add her name and info where it belongs. You can't "delete" info, but you can change it.

transfixer

Click on her name, when it shows up in the box on the right.. click on it again. When the next page opens you'll see little "pencils" to the right of each data point.. click on that and edit to the correct name and info. Then go back and add her name and info where it belongs. You can't "delete" info, but you can change it.

I just left the site, not sure how I got to where I did? but I was able to remove her name from that box, and put my Dad's parents in the correct place, there are a lot of different areas that when you click on them will open up a completely different window, now I've just got to figure out how to find my great grandparents on my Dad's side ? as evidently no one in that side of the family has searched them out ?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I just left the site, not sure how I got to where I did? but I was able to remove her name from that box, and put my Dad's parents in the correct place, there are a lot of different areas that when you click on them will open up a completely different window, now I've just got to figure out how to find my great grandparents on my Dad's side ? as evidently no one in that side of the family has searched them out ?
Have your Grandparents passed? If so, go to findagrave.com and put in their info.. once you find them "if" anyone has added a obit it'll give their parent's names.