Internet options in the sticks

stringmusic

Needing options for internet at my new house. Currently there is no fiber network so I guess we will have to go wireless?

We have a jet pack from Verizon but only get 15 gigs a month and the kids use that up in about a week streaming shows.

Are there any other options for somewhat fast internet and plenty of gigs?

I’ve checked satellite internet but it’s like $100 a month for 50 gigs. I’ll pay that if I have to but would like to hear any other options I may have.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Check the Sprint coverage map to see if you are in their area. If so, Google Calyx Institute. For $500, you can get a wireless hotspot with unlimited data that does not get throttled. Plus $400 of that is tax deductible. That's for a full year of wireless access.

Last edited:

stringmusic

Check the Sprint coverage map to see if you are in their area. If so, Google Calyx Institute. For $500, you can get a wireless hotspot with unlimited data that does not get throttled. Plus $400 of that is tax deductible. That's for a full year of wireless access.
Thanks, I’ll look into that. It only works on the sprint network?

660griz

Not sure what the kids are using data for but, I live in the sticks and have a T-Mobile hotspot. Unlimited data for YouTube, Amazon, Netflix and Spotify.
Google their Binge On plan.
If the kids play online games, well, you are stuck unless you pay for an unlimited data plan from Verizon, T-moble, etc.
Avoid satellite internet.

stringmusic

Not sure what the kids are using data for but, I live in the sticks and have a T-Mobile hotspot. Unlimited data for YouTube, Amazon, Netflix and Spotify.
Google their Binge On plan.
If the kids play online games, well, you are stuck unless you pay for an unlimited data plan from Verizon, T-moble, etc.
Avoid satellite internet.
Thanks. I should have said the kids and me/wife. We don’t watch in the mornings and we are gone all day, it’s just an hour or two of tv in the evenings, no video games yet.

We have unlimited data on our hotspot now but it slows down a lot after the 15 gigs, it’s still usable but it’s not great, especially trying to watch on two different TVs.

KDarsey

Does AT & T wireless work where you are? I had the same problem. Verizon didn't work so I bought a sim card off ebay for $10. I had a 5 day trial to see if it worked for me. After that I am paying $50 per month. Unlimited, no throttle. I am on my 3rd month & have had absolutely no problems or regrets. If it goes away I am only out $10. I already had the wifi device ( AT & T Velocity) No, I don't know the speeds nor do I do the gaming thing & have no kids at home but I use all the 'internet TV' with no buffering. If you need more info on the seller let me kno.

stringmusic

Does AT & T wireless work where you are? I had the same problem. Verizon didn't work so I bought a sim card off ebay for $10. I had a 5 day trial to see if it worked for me. After that I am paying $50 per month. Unlimited, no throttle. I am on my 3rd month & have had absolutely no problems or regrets. If it goes away I am only out $10. I already had the wifi device ( AT & T Velocity) No, I don't know the speeds nor do I do the gaming thing & have no kids at home but I use all the 'internet TV' with no buffering. If you need more info on the seller let me kno.
What did you put the SIM card in?

KDarsey

An AT & T Velocity mifiAT & T.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Avoid Hughes net by satellite it was basically worthless whenever the wind blew or if raining. Worst internet we ever had. And then they double charged us for the receiver when we canceled and moved on!!! Hate em!

stringmusic

Thanks for the answers! I’ll be checking in on all of these

Darien1

Here on the cheap, East Side of Lake Sinclair we have fiber cable for most neighborhoods but mine didn't make the cut. The provider was able to get me hooked up to their wireless receiver system and it works really well. Had to work out some bugs in it but once we got it figured out I get good speed and unlimited for about $50 something a month. I have seen other companies offering it too. It works on radio signals so you have to be in a location that you can get a good signal. My receiver is up in a pine tree behind my house.

specialk

I got viasat....3 months in ...satisfied so far....i live so far out we dont have sewer,water,gas, or cable.......

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the middle of nowhere in the Smoky Mountains, and I have AT&T DSL. With the top tier, I can't really tell much difference in speed between it and the top-of-the-line fiber optic stuff I have at work.

stringmusic

I'm in the middle of nowhere in the Smoky Mountains, and I have AT&T DSL. With the top tier, I can't really tell much difference in speed between it and the top-of-the-line fiber optic stuff I have at work.
You still have to have cable at your house right? I called at&t and was told the only option I had with them was a “hot spot” witless with 10 gigs a month. That ain’t gonna do me any good

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member

I think it depends on how far you are away from the switch with the DSL. I am so far out that the line coming to my house looks like a sewing thread. I am very slow with lots of drops.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You still have to have cable at your house right? I called at&t and was told the only option I had with them was a “hot spot” witless with 10 gigs a month. That ain’t gonna do me any good
Nope. You can't even get cable here where I live. It comes on the phone line. And I don't even have a landline any more.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think it depends on how far you are away from the switch with the DSL. I am so far out that the line coming to my house looks like a sewing thread. I am very slow with lots of drops.
I don't know about the switch, but it takes me nearly half an hour to drive to town from here.