Invisible Copperhead

Redbow

Great picture! It takes a trained eye to spot that snake in its natural habitat!

The snake is only doing what comes natural for it to survive, hunting for food!

huntfish

Awesome photo! As a recipient of two strikes on the buttocks from Mr. Copperhead, I can relate to their camo.

BTW, both strikes were dry. Might have been due to me sitting on him. And yes, snake was left alive.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Awesome photo! As a recipient of two strikes on the buttocks from Mr. Copperhead, I can relate to their camo.

BTW, both strikes were dry. Might have been due to me sitting on him. And yes, snake was left alive.

Now that's a story we gotta hear!

FX Jenkins

He knew not to touch it because I have told them ANY snake outside is poisonous until I see it.

here here...I'm going to go home and tell my boy that this afternoon...

FX Jenkins

:hair:

you ..

:eek:

are ..

:crazy:

and

a bad dude...

DCHunter

He knew not to touch it because I have told them ANY snake outside is poisonous until I see it.

Very good idea! My nephews were over at my house playing with my sons. My nephews like to hunt bugs and lizards and such. Well, I overhear them talking about how they've found a snake and that they were trying to figure out how to catch it. I walked over and told them not to be picking up any snakes when my nephew (8 years old) turned to me and said, "don't worry, it's not a poisonous one". I asked him to show me the snake and when he pointed into a small drainage pipe, there was a copperhead sitting there just inside of it.:hair: I told them it was in fact a poisonous snake and to not EVER pick up ANY snake again. That was a close one for sure. Needless to say, the boys got a lesson in how to remove a snakes head that day.

JohnK3

Banned
We used to have a cat named Maxine. When we got Heckle and Jeckel, the two orange cats, Jeckel bullied Maxine until she left to go live at a neighbors' house. The neighbors weren't real "cat people" and didn't let Maxine in the house very often, but they'd feed her and let her lounge around their yard.

One day, my wife got a call from Laura, one of the folks Maxine had "adopted." Laura said "Stephannie, your cat brought me a snake!"

"A snake? What does it look like?"

Laura proceeded to describe what sounded like the description of a baby water moccasin. (There's a creek right behind our property.) Stephannie asked her where Maxine was right now.

"By the playset, pacing back and forth."

"Where are the kids?"

"Playing on the playset."

"Get the kids off the playset and have your husband check under the playset when he gets home."

A few hours later, Laura's husband got home and found a nest of baby water mocs underneath. He took a shovel and killed them all. Maxine now sleeps on their bed.

USbowhuntr

As I am sure most of the military members down in the south have experianced, I had a very close call 2 years ago in Louisiana.

I was doing night land navigation. I had just walked through a shallow creek and was coming up the other side when I felt something theat felt like a branch hit my boot. Almost like when you walk through some brush and the branches pull at your boot laces. The problem was my boot laces were tucked in. As I looked down and was able to get my eyes to adjust a little I thought I spotted something moving so justto be safe I didnt move my feet and pulled out a chem light. As soon as I cracked it I saw it. Right there next to my right bood laid a very young copper head. Maybe 12-13" long total. I was a little concerned because of how close he was. So with one quick movement I used my right foot and quickly pushed him and all the leaves in the area well away.

To this day I dont really know exactly what I felt that night. A few of my buddies seem to think that he actually struck my boot and thats what I felt. My boots were so torn up that night that I never would have know even if he did hit them and leave a mark.

In my five years I spent in Louisiana I had more encouters with "cottonmouths" and "copperheads" then I care to remember but what I found is that what they say is true. Most of the time they are more afraid of us then we are of them. They just want to get out of there. I watched a soldier step right on the tail of a cottonmouth as we were moving through the swamps and the snake just moved a little faster after that.

I understand what most of you are saying though. If I found one around my home its either dead or going for a very long drive.

:flag:
Jason
"USbowhuntr"

roscoe p.coletrane

I was stationed in Camp Pendelton and working with the US Border patrol along Interstate 5 Pacific Coast Highway . We had a reservist unit attached to us from Pa. After a short briefing from the brass and local border patrol agents that worked in the area. We were working in fireteams of 7 and there were 2 reserve units attached to my particular squad . We were following the pacific coast railway because a lot of illegals like to travel that route . While sitting in the scrub brush taking a break from looking for illegals , a buddy sitting next to me leans over and jokingly says "I Know you like sitting next to me , but you rubbin my leg is a little much".
I ask him what he was talking about and we had a light discipline order to keep all lights off unless we made a significant catch .

He was from S.C. so he knew what the deal was if you did not hear it when it moved . Turned out a 4 foot red rattler had crawled over his legs while he reclined on his ruc sack A Capt. from the reservist had killed the snake while turning his light on to look in his own 782 gear.

seen quite a few snakes in Cali alot more there than in our home state

Jeffriesw

The Bible said that the the serpent will strike man's heel and man will crush the head of the serpent. To me, when I kill them, I'm just doing my part. :bounce:

Amen Brother! :shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot:

DocHoliday

Snakes creep me out and I have lived in these North East Ga. Mountains all my life!! Great pics by the way.

dutchman

Reckon' what ol' Muddyfoots would say if he happened up on one of these dudes?:bounce: