Is it possible to be 'saved' and then turn away from Christ?

Can someone reject Christ after being saved?

• Yes, once saved, you can later reject Christ

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, it's not possible to believe in Him and then reject Him

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Maybe. I'm not sure

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Madsnooker

Double Barrel BB said:
Madsnooker,

Do you believe that you had anything to do with your Salvation?

DB BB

Absolutely, I did not just wakeup one morning to find myself saved.

I had to first believe with my heart and then confess Jesus as my saviour. Salvation is always dependent on someones decision to follow Christ.

As far as by works. Absolutely not. It is his great GRACE that abounds.:cool: ;)

Madsnooker

SBG said:
First of all, I pray that our discussion here, and the posts that I have made, are in no way misconstrued as being an indictment on Bandy personally, nor is a question of his salvation; it is not. It is evident from his conduct here that he is a Christian.

I tend to ask questions on here as if we were talking face to face. Obviously, a lot of the communication is lost in this format.

I think that I will heed Brother David Mill's advice on this subject. It has been discussed over and over without anyone having their positions change. I think for the sake of friendships, I'll just back out. Perhaps it would be a better subject for the chat room.:)

I hope I didn't imply you were judging Bandy. I enjoy our discussions and I would say we probably agree on most all issues here.

To be honest, this topic is really irrelevant to most of us as we strive for a Godly life. I do enjoy discussing these matters in a friendly format as I view this is. I do understand that alot of times the implications are other than what is meant.

I do understand both sides of this issue but I would just have to side with caution based on some of the New Testament scriptures.

I hope you continue to discuss such issues as I appreciate your insight.;)

gordon 2

Yes it is possible. I do it everyday. Jonas had a famous three days bout of it! along with the odd coniption in that place called Ninivah, we are told. Peter is said to have had a few moments. The early chuch had a few yellow livers, being some did not care to be toys for the forums.

In my case, adultry has crossed my mind a few times to be quite honest. Now and then, my hormones still fire up my eyes when Eve shows up with her famous apples. And that is just one example.

SBG

Madsnooker said:
I hope I didn't imply you were judging Bandy. .

Nooooooo! I didn't take it that way; I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't.:)

Yes it is possible. I do it everyday.

Gordon...this brings up another point to contend with. In the "fall from grace" camp, there are actually three different beliefs on the subject.

Some believe that you can come to a realization that Christ is not who the scriptures say He is. At this point, you renounce your faith and are lost.

Others believe that it is a incremental loss of faith. One day you are saved, and then, because of whatever reasons, you go back to the world. After time, you ignore the chastening of the Holy Spirit, and you are back to your original sin-state, as if you were never saved in the first place.

Then others believe that it is an individual sin thing. Any sin can separate you from God. In other words, you are saved and then you sin. Because you sinned, you are now lost again. You confess your sin to God, now you are saved again.

Just some food for thought.

Flintlock1776

I agree

BANDERSNATCH said:
Seems like the 'eternal salvation' debate centers around if it is possible to turn away from Christ after believing in Him.

Just curious as to where viewers stand...

Bandy

You got to stay in touch and keep working on it. Life ain't easy but staying on the right side has its latter rewards.

Tn_Extreme

Banned
BANDERSNATCH said:
Just wondering who believes that someone can confess Christ, then come to a point in their life where they 'deny Christ to men'.

Bandy
Several of the apostles denied Christ before men when they were questioned shortly after the crucifixion.

One cannot lose their salvation...You can become cold, complaceant, and indifferent to the church and God but you can never lose your salvation if it is real. The Bible says itis a fire that cannot be hidden.

Those who are "saved" and then fall back into their sinful lifestyle and feel no remorse or condemnation were never saved in the first place.

The Bile says I am sealed and hid in him. No man can luck me from his hand. I am a new creature...Old things are passed away, all thing become new. I still fight with the outer man and the flesh daily, and sometimes it wins, the difference is I know it is wrong and in my heart the new man inside me struggles to overide my outer man.
'I am not perfect but strive for perfection..I wont be perfect until christ gives me my new body and no sin willcross my mind.

Dixie Dawg

Tn_Extreme said:
Those who are "saved" and then fall back into their sinful lifestyle and feel no remorse or condemnation were never saved in the first place.

Interesting....

So if someone was 'saved' and left their 'sinful lifestyle', but then later on decided Jesus wasn't God and didn't die for their sins, but they didn't go back to their 'sinful lifestyle', then in your opinion they are still 'saved'? :pop:

And in response to SBG's post that says it is evident from Bandy's actions on here that he is a Christian... I just want to let you know that 5 years ago, you probably would have said the same thing about me... so you can't always judge a book by it's cover!! :bounce: :bounce: (not intended to be in any way related to Bandy's character... just a general comment about 'acting' Christian)

Tn_Extreme

Banned
Dixie Dawg said:
Interesting....

So if someone was 'saved' and left their 'sinful lifestyle', but then later on decided Jesus wasn't God and didn't die for their sins, but they didn't go back to their 'sinful lifestyle', then in your opinion they are still 'saved'?
DD, Your s lost as a ball in high weeds...When someone gets saved it is a permanent thing...they cant forget who Jesus is because he loves inside of them. They have a inner man that cintrols and directs their lives...yes we can seem to forget and not listen to it at times but in noway can we laster decide Jesus isnt who he said he was.

If we do it is evidence the profession was false and not real and genuine.
Simple Bible 101.

DD...The Bible says those who arent saved cant begin to understand the simple plan of salvation laid out for us by Jesus Christ...Why not submit to it instead of rebel against it?? Dont you see you are only harming yourself and those you have influence over ??

Dixie Dawg

Tn_Extreme said:
DD, Your s lost as a ball in high weeds...When someone gets saved it is a permanent thing...they cant forget who Jesus is because he loves inside of them. They have a inner man that cintrols and directs their lives...yes we can seem to forget and not listen to it at times but in noway can we laster decide Jesus isnt who he said he was.

If we do it is evidence the profession was false and not real and genuine.
Simple Bible 101.

DD...The Bible says those who arent saved cant begin to understand the simple plan of salvation laid out for us by Jesus Christ...Why not submit to it instead of rebel against it?? Dont you see you are only harming yourself and those you have influence over ??

Been there, done that... didn't work for me.

I guess then, if what you are saying is true, it would have been better for me to have died 5 years ago when I still believed in Jesus with 100% of my heart and soul. Sure, I had questions, most Christians do. But I would have died for it. In fact I remember sitting my daughter down on her bed 6 years ago and telling her that we needed to be strong in Jesus and that if anyone ever came at us and threatened to kill us for believing in him, we had to tell the truth and say we believed in him. And I meant every word of it. Looking back now, that is one of the most shameful things as a parent I have ever done, and I have apologized to my daughter for ever having said that to her. I truly believe I was brainwashed... programmed. 32 years of being a Christian, well, I was never perfect but dang, I sure DID believe, regardless of what you or anyone else says. I can't think of many things a person would be willing to give their life for if they didn't truly believe it. All those altar calls I went up for, starting at age 9, gosh, hard to believe I didn't really 'mean' it at age 9, actually kind of sad, really, that a 9-year old who went up to the pastor in tears with love and gratitude and who believed they just got 'saved' really wasn't 'saved' at all.... never would have thought that God would mess with the emotions of a child like that... but since you say so, must be true, right?

Anyway, back to your question.... :) How can you submit yourself to something you don't really believe anymore? I'm pretty sure God would know in your heart you weren't being honest. I could attend church every Sunday and Wednesday for the rest of my life, do you honestly think that will please God if I don't really believe in it? :huh:

I guess it's possible I have turned into one of God's 'reprobates'... but I've not participated in sodomy or homosexuality.... what else was on your list of unforgiveable/reprobatable sins? :huh: Maybe I did one of those and didn't realize it..... :rolleyes:

rocket rob

First of all we are all born sinners form the seed of adam.If you truly belived that jesus is the son of god and the holy gost and the father than you were saved. Can you back slide, yes you can and if you die before asking the lord to for give you you will burn but once your saved your always saved you may back slide but if you ask for forgiveness than your are for given.Go and sin no more. You must try and follow jesus. Jesus was pure, God sent him he was not from the seed of adam. The devel is strong and rules this earth he wants you to turn away from our lord. I am a sinner just like you would i die for him I shurly hope i could. We are all going to die today maybe tomarrow we dont know when. If you turn away for God then do you turn to the devil or do you not belive in him any more either. You can not work your way into heven If you do good deads and dont go around bringing about what you did than you will recive your rewards in heaven. No sin is greater than another. You have to try your best to follow jesus and turn away from your sin the devil knows where your weakness is. Turn to the lord and ask for forgiveness for he has not left you he will never leave you trust in him. May God bless us all........

SBG

Dixie Dawg said:
Interesting....

So if someone was 'saved' and left their 'sinful lifestyle', but then later on decided Jesus wasn't God and didn't die for their sins, but they didn't go back to their 'sinful lifestyle', then in your opinion they are still 'saved'? :pop:

And in response to SBG's post that says it is evident from Bandy's actions on here that he is a Christian... I just want to let you know that 5 years ago, you probably would have said the same thing about me... so you can't always judge a book by it's cover!! :bounce: :bounce: (not intended to be in any way related to Bandy's character... just a general comment about 'acting' Christian)

I dunno about that. I have spiritual discernment that you cannot understand.

I don't mean that to be mean to you...there really ain't no other way to say it.::; :)

Jody Hawk

I was saved in 1993 and went to church every Sunday. I started putting other things ahead of the Lord. It got to the point that instead of getting my family ready to go to church on Sunday morning, I'd get up and head to the woods or lake. Before I knew it, I was living a life style no better than the one that I was living before I was saved. I can remember laying in bed at night and looking at the ceiling and asking the Lord to make me right again. I started going back to church last October and I gave my testimony at church one night and called Katelyn up there and appologized to her for the "wasted years" that I didn't take her to church and I promised her that we'd never leave the church again. I'm gonna keep that promise too !!!!

leroy

rocket rob said:
First of all we are all born sinners form the seed of adam.If you truly belived that jesus is the son of god and the holy gost and the father than you were saved. Can you back slide, yes you can and if you die before asking the lord to for give you you will burn but once your saved your always saved you may back slide but if you ask for forgiveness than your are for given.Go and sin no more. You must try and follow jesus. Jesus was pure, God sent him he was not from the seed of adam. The devel is strong and rules this earth he wants you to turn away from our lord. I am a sinner just like you would i die for him I shurly hope i could. We are all going to die today maybe tomarrow we dont know when. If you turn away for God then do you turn to the devil or do you not belive in him any more either. You can not work your way into heven If you do good deads and dont go around bringing about what you did than you will recive your rewards in heaven. No sin is greater than another. You have to try your best to follow jesus and turn away from your sin the devil knows where your weakness is. Turn to the lord and ask for forgiveness for he has not left you he will never leave you trust in him. May God bless us all........

this would mean that to get into Heaven You would have to ask forgiveness for every single sin that you comit. I hope I have ask forgiveness but I'm sure there are some that were missed.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
leroy said:
this would mean that to get into Heaven You would have to ask forgiveness for every single sin that you comit. I hope I have ask forgiveness but I'm sure there are some that were missed.

Yes you would, and this the reason David said search my heart.

Now if you dont believe you can backslide, read 1 Corinthians 9: 23 -27. After all the preaching, if Paul had to keep his body under subjection lest he became a castaway himself. How could that happen?

rocket rob

leroy said:
We sin every day. We need to ask for forgiveness all through the day. People take this for granted every day. How meny times have you heard some one say help me lord out loud, just another saying to them. If your hart is right and you know if its right or not then you will enter into heven. If you comit the same sin over and over than your hart is not right. You have to fight the demons every day. No sin is greater than another sin repent and try not to comit that sin again. Jesus knows you and your hart. No one said it is going to be easy as a matter of fact it gets harder. You are living in the devils world and fighting his demons every day. Pray, Pray and Pray. we were born a sinner into sin. Ask for forgivness every day say your prayers. If you comit a sin that feeling inside that saying this is wrong is the holly gost, ask for forgivness and keep fighting the demons....

FESTUSHAGGIN

SBG said:
Based on what you are saying then, is it possible that you weren't truly saved until you came under the preaching of the Zacharais ministry? I believe that the sensible answer must be yes.

You say now that it would be "hard to imagine." Let me present a hypothetical scenario:

The United States continues down its current path of liberalization and its rejection of Christ. The time comes that the government outlaws evangelical Christianity. You refuse to obey the law that makes it illegal to profess Christ. At the risk of death, they pose the question. Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God? Based on your salvation experience, would you reject Him?
look at what happened to shadrach mishak and abendnego(sp?) nebuchadnezzar asked them to deny God and worship his idol that he had created. when thet denied to worship an idol they were thrown into a fiery furnace. they were unharmed because they were protected by the power of God. if i was asked to deny god or be killed yes i may die but i would not deny him. if it is his wish that i die upholding his name then so be it. because i guarantee that if you do deny him you are no safer from death than you were if you didnt deny him. some people say that is a tough call to make but i would not even have to flinch. i would very proudly die for my god. there is no greater love than to give your life for a friend. i consider God to be my best friend so why not die for him if it were required.

Bones

There is a difference between head knowledge and having Christ in your heart. Head knowledge does not save you only having Jesus Christ in your heart will.

Bones

SBG

1 John 2:19
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.