Is it possible to be 'saved' and then turn away from Christ?

Can someone reject Christ after being saved?

• Yes, once saved, you can later reject Christ

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, it's not possible to believe in Him and then reject Him

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Maybe. I'm not sure

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock1776

I don't know. They evil ones never rest and the assualt can be constant. Since we are not perfect if someone slipped I would not condem them as I am not the final judge. Maybe just better to put your hand out and help up the one who slipped.

Hunting Teacher

John 10:27-29
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My father who has given them to me is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my father's hand.

Romans 8:29-30
For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined he also called, those he called he also justified, those he justified he also glorified.

Madsnooker,
I believe the bible teaches that God drew you to Him through the Holy Spirit. God was the author of our salvation. We didn't choose him, he chose us.

Can anyone who has truly experienced the life changing salvation of Jesus Christ say that anything would seperate you from him?
Teacher

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Hunting Teacher said:
Can anyone who has truly experienced the life changing salvation of Jesus Christ say that anything would seperate you from him?
Teacher
SIN will, sin is of the devil.

He also went as far as saying, IF you sin, you have an advocate to go to the Father for us.

I know that no man can pluck you out of his hand, but you yourself can walk away. Then there are those that would say, "they were never really saved to start with". I cant judge that, only that person and God knows that.

I think in James, we are told to help the fallen Brother, the one that has erred in his way?

What about being "lukewarm"? Jesus said either be hot or cold, but if your "lukewarm" I will spue you out.

What about the talents? The one that hid his, God cursed him and cast him out.

Those are a few things that can seperate you.

SBG

Hunting Teacher said:
John 10:27-29
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My father who has given them to me is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my father's hand.

Romans 8:29-30
For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined he also called, those he called he also justified, those he justified he also glorified.

Madsnooker,
I believe the bible teaches that God drew you to Him through the Holy Spirit. God was the author of our salvation. We didn't choose him, he chose us.

Teacher

Great post!:clap:

And to answer your question...no.

A "truly" saved person cannot lose their salvation. The debt that is required of all because of sin, has been paid by a loving God.

Romans 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Pretty simple biblical truth.

Thank God for the simplicity of His gospel and the power of His promises.:)

RPD#99

One can forfeit their salvation. Paul writes about it in most of his writings. Hebrews says that it can be forfeited. Romans says the same thing; especially in chapters 11-12.

Salvation can not be lost! The same way you are saved is the same way you forfeit it. By believing/having faith and confessing, a person is saved. Therefore by refusing to not believe/have faith after salvation and confess that Jesus is not Lord, is how you forfeit your salvation. When your earthly father gives you a gift, you can keep it and cherish it or you can throw it away and no longer want it. It's the same way with your Heavenly Father! You can enjoy the gift or throw it away once it is given. Why someone would do either is unexplainable! God has not removed our "free will" once we are born again. We still have the ultimate and final say in our lives. If we don't want Him before or after salvation, He will not force us to believe on Him. He will certainly not force us into Heaven if we do not want to go! His love will reach out to us as we cross over into pinkiepinkiepinkiepinkie. But, the decision is ours. Nothing shall separate us from the love of God but sin will separate us from God! Sin is unbelief...a refusing to believe. Paul said that "which is not of faith is sin." Nothing has separated the lost from God's love and nothing will separate us from His love. He loves both equally. But the lost is separated from God through sin. The same is true for us. If we renounce the name of Christ and the finished work of the Blood, we shall be separated from Him, but not His love.

This is a debate that I have had countless times. My personal "study" of the Word has taught me these truths. I do not believe what I believe simply because someone else believes it or says that it is so. I study the Word for myself. I do not read a passage of scripture alone to make a case. I take in the whole counsel of the Word. Using a single obscure verse, or even two, on either side of the coin proves no ones case. I also do not subscribe to a Church doctrine or Tenet of faith just to believe what it may say. If I can not find a scriptural basis for whatever the issue may be, I disregard it.

I also do not allow strife to come into play when looking at issues as this one. I will discuss my viewpoint and love you if you disagree!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
RPD#99 said:
One can forfeit their salvation. Paul writes about it in most of his writings. Hebrews says that it can be forfeited. Romans says the same thing; especially in chapters 11-12.

Salvation can not be lost! The same way you are saved is the same way you forfeit it. By believing/having faith and confessing, a person is saved. Therefore by refusing to not believe/have faith after salvation and confess that Jesus is not Lord, is how you forfeit your salvation. When your earthly father gives you a gift, you can keep it and cherish it or you can throw it away and no longer want it. It's the same way with your Heavenly Father! You can enjoy the gift or throw it away once it is given. Why someone would do either is unexplainable! God has not removed our "free will" once we are born again. We still have the ultimate and final say in our lives. If we don't want Him before or after salvation, He will not force us to believe on Him. He will certainly not force us into Heaven if we do not want to go! His love will reach out to us as we cross over into pinkiepinkiepinkiepinkie. But, the decision is ours. Nothing shall separate us from the love of God but sin will separate us from God! Sin is unbelief...a refusing to believe. Paul said that "which is not of faith is sin." Nothing has separated the lost from God's love and nothing will separate us from His love. He loves both equally. But the lost is separated from God through sin. The same is true for us. If we renounce the name of Christ and the finished work of the Blood, we shall be separated from Him, but not His love.

This is a debate that I have had countless times. My personal "study" of the Word has taught me these truths. I do not believe what I believe simply because someone else believes it or says that it is so. I study the Word for myself. I do not read a passage of scripture alone to make a case. I take in the whole counsel of the Word. Using a single obscure verse, or even two, on either side of the coin proves no ones case. I also do not subscribe to a Church doctrine or Tenet of faith just to believe what it may say. If I can not find a scriptural basis for whatever the issue may be, I disregard it.

I also do not allow strife to come into play when looking at issues as this one. I will discuss my viewpoint and love you if you disagree!
Good post, and Paul even went as far as saying after all he has done, he could become a cast away himself. If people think they can not sin after salvation, Jesus said to them that know to do good and they do it not, to them it is sin. No where did he seperate sinner and saint in that scripture. With the love of God in your heart, you are not going to want to rob, steal and the things that stand out shamefully. We were told to strive, endure and David even prayed search my heart. The story of the ten virgins is a good story to read. I know no man can pluck you out of his hand, very true, satan could not touch Job unless God allowed it, but Job had every opportunity to curse God.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Hunting Teacher said:
Teacher
I already quoted this before but I left out something.

Matthew 10:33
"But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father........."

Double Barrel BB

Spotlite said:
I already quoted this before but I left out something.

Matthew 10:33
"But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father........."

I believe that a Truely Saved person would never deny Christ, in any situation.

DB BB

SBG

Double Barrel BB said:
I believe that a Truely Saved person would never deny Christ, in any situation.

DB BB

I can only speak of my personal salvation experience. After feeling the Holy Spirit speak to my spirit, and having no doubt that Jesus Christ is indeed who He says He is; there is no possible way that I would ever deny Him in my heart.

Romans 8:16
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

I don't mean to offend with this next statement; but, I feel led to post this. In consideration of the text that I have provided above, how could anyone that has TRULY been born again by the grace of God, turn away and reject him, and by doing so, lose their salvation?

The text says plainly that God Himself speaks to our spirit that we are his child. He doesn't say we might be. He says we are!

Someone that has experienced that, and then reject it, must be insane. Literally

PWalls

I believe that a Saved Person will sin. I also believe that a Saved Person can be seperated from God. However, that seperation is only in a relational aspect. Nothing can take you from God's hand once your name is written in the Book. Your sin will seperate you from the joy of a relationship but not from an eternal paradise.

Jesus died once for sin. Jesus died once so that I might have eternal life. If you believe that you can lose your salvation, then what do you do, ask Jesus into your heart again? Implicate that His sacrifice wasn't sufficeint the first time?

P

pfharris1965

Christians are not perfect...just forgiven and saved through the Saviour.

This holds true regardless of what any worldly zealot will tell someone that does not believe exactly as they do....I think the zealots are the ones that will pay the ultimate price through their lack of understanding that God never said that everyone must believe exactly the same or they will got to an eternity of fire....

I have often found that my spirituality and salvation is a personal matter to me and that ANYONE of this world telling me that I am wrong is merely speculating on what they think God intended....

God will have final say....

Last edited:

Hunting Teacher

SBG said:
I can only speak of my personal salvation experience. After feeling the Holy Spirit speak to my spirit, and having no doubt that Jesus Christ is indeed who He says He is; there is no possible way that I would ever deny Him in my heart.

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

I don't mean to offend with this next statement; but, I feel led to post this. In consideration of the text that I have provided above, how could anyone that has TRULY been born again by the grace of God, turn away and reject him, and by doing so, lose their salvation?

The text says plainly that God Himself speaks to our spirit that we are his child. He doesn't say we might be. He says we are!

Someone that has experienced that, and then reject it, must be insane. Literally

Amen, SBG!
Well stated. Backed up by scripture!
teacher

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
SBG said:

True, but what happens when a "truly" saved person walks up out of anger and kills someone before he has time to think. Does not repent of that murder and dies? As far as the "truly" saved person, that is almost like being pregnant, either you are or your not.

But we are still in the flesh, and was told to anger but sin not. So we are above and beyond not getting all upset over something.

But that same spirit that draws us to an alter will again p r i c k our hearts and warn us, guide us and even convict us from sinning. But Jesus said "IF" you sin, you have an advocate to go to the Father for you.

Had to type p r i c k that way because it came up as pinkiepinkiepinkiepinkie every time

FESTUSHAGGIN

you have to understand that the outward man and th einner man are two different beings. the outward man is not saved and never will be saved. it will turn to dust. the inner man is where salvation lies. and once that inner man is saved he will sin no more. sin is of the flesh and the outward man can and will sin daily. if you go kill someone it is the outward man that sins. once saved you will go to heaven. yes you can fall away from god. but if you were truly saved, and you will know, you will ALWAYS be saved.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
FESTUSHAGGIN said:
you have to understand that the outward man and th einner man are two different beings. the outward man is not saved and never will be saved. it will turn to dust. the inner man is where salvation lies. and once that inner man is saved he will sin no more. sin is of the flesh and the outward man can and will sin daily. if you go kill someone it is the outward man that sins. once saved you will go to heaven. yes you can fall away from god. but if you were truly saved, and you will know, you will ALWAYS be saved.
Thats not scripture, are you saying you can murder and not repent and still make it?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Was the story of the ten virgins just something to overlook? They didnt keep their lamps full.
What about the talents?
What about being lukewarm?
What about Pauls writings, restoring a fallen brother?
What about Paul himself, after doing all he had done, could become a castaway himself?

There would be no need to go back to church, no need to be a soul winner, pay tithes, and keep his commandments or even study the Bible if all you had to do was get saved and that was it. There would even be a need for the Great White Throne Judgement. Would not have to give an account for every deed or word. You could just say I was saved and I can scoot right on thru. I mean the sinners aint gonna make the rapture to begin with right?

P

pfharris1965

Spotlite said:
There would be no need to go back to church, no need to be a soul winner, pay tithes, and keep his commandments or even study the Bible if all you had to do was get saved and that was it. There would even be a need for the Great White Throne Judgement. Would not have to give an account for every deed or word. You could just say I was saved and I can scoot right on thru. I mean the sinners aint gonna make the rapture to begin with right?

But I thought that salvation through Christ washed our sins away and they are forgiven. Additionally, I thought that even though saved, it is a given you will still sin while in this world...and that through prayer we continually ask for forgiveness of sins. Is this not so? After salvation, are we all building up a big account of sins for which we will pay? Was the price that Jesus paid a one shot deal?

I have always been taught that once you have accepted Christ as your Saviour then the Kingdom of Heaven is yours and it will never be taken away. Of course you must continuously repent your sins and you will answer to God in the end. I have also always been taught that blasphemy (sp?) is the only unforgiveable sin...

Certainly, even though saved, I sin...we all do...I was taught there was only ever one person to walk the Earth that was free from sin....I think the salvation and subsequent life we lead comes into play in our conscience and the content thereof....

Any insight is welcomed on ANYONE'S worldly interpretation of God's intent.

Thanks.

SBG

Spotlite said:
True, but what happens when a "truly" saved person walks up out of anger and kills someone before he has time to think. Does not repent of that murder and dies? As far as the "truly" saved person, that is almost like being pregnant, either you are or your not.

But we are still in the flesh, and was told to anger but sin not. So we are above and beyond not getting all upset over something.

But that same spirit that draws us to an alter will again p r i c k our hearts and warn us, guide us and even convict us from sinning. But Jesus said "IF" you sin, you have an advocate to go to the Father for you.

Had to type p r i c k that way because it came up as pinkiepinkiepinkiepinkie every time

Chris, your for instance would prove that the person was not truly saved. Would a person that is equipped with the fruits of the Spirit walk up and murder someone?
If they could/would they did not have the same salvation experiene that I had.:huh:

I will not limit God by my shortcomings. I will not consider His blood an unholy thing.

If one unconfessed sin can separate you from God, then His yoke is certainly not easy nor His burden light. And surely all things would not work together for the good of someone that could with one misstep lose their salvation.

Please PRAYERFULLY read the 8th chapter of Romans.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
pfharris1965 said:
But I thought that salvation through Christ washed our sins away and they are forgiven. Additionally, I thought that even though saved, it is a given you will still sin while in this world...and that through prayer we continually ask for forgiveness of sins. Is this not so? After salvation, are we all building up a big account of sins for which we will pay? Was the price that Jesus paid a one shot deal?

I have always been taught that once you have accepted Christ as your Saviour then the Kingdom of Heaven is yours and it will never be taken away. Of course you must continuously repent your sins and you will answer to God in the end. I have also always been taught that blasphemy (sp?) is the only unforgiveable sin...

Certainly, even though saved, I sin...we all do...I was taught there was only ever one person to walk the Earth that was free from sin....I think the salvation and subsequent comes into play in our conscience....

Any insight is welcomed on ANYONE'S worldly interpretation of God's intent.

Thanks.
The whole point of this debate is some believe you can sin afterwards and still make it without repenting. Sure we are all going to sin at some point, we are human. It only takes a minute to say God Im sorry. Some believe that you can not literally sin at all after salvation.

P

pfharris1965

Spotlite said:
The whole point of this debate is some believe you can sin afterwards and still make it without repenting. Sure we are all going to sin at some point, we are human. It only takes a minute to say God Im sorry. Some believe that you can not literally sin at all after salvation.

I think you and I are on the same page then...maybe not....

IMHO, Sin will continue regardless of a Saved or Not Saved status....

In addition to Salvation, asking forgiveness and remaining aware of God as a presence and a guiding force is the key. I guess repenting is what I am saying...Anyone that thinks they do not or cannot sin after salvation is mistaken IMHO.

If they were not mistaken then that would mean that everyone who is saved and sinned in their eyes is not saved at all...I have known and do know many "Christian" individuals that sin....

Maybe I am just a novice here, but I have comfort in my Salvation and that is bteween me and God not me and a human....any human that sits in judgement of another human is sinning IMHO....