Is it possible to smoke(pellet grill)

outdoorlife99

Is it even possible to smoke a venison rump roast or the sort and render the sinu and silver skin down like a Boston butt? I realize venison is done around 140 degrees and I have left one on the pellet smoker for a good 4 hours keeping the temp at 200 trying to drag it out and it still has chewy places I have to cut out. Crockpot all day works better, but just wanted a Boston butt kinda meat. Thanks

Whitefeather

Management Material
It’s more so the sinu between the muscle groups, just want break down at 140 I don’t think
Probably not going to break down. On pork butts it’s the fat that renders and breaks down. On venison it is very lean so it will more than likely get dry and stringy. You could try to brine it first and see if that helps with internal moisture it so you could run the heat up a little more and longer but you may loose some flavor.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
As said above lean meat can be a challenge. You might try how I do ribs. Cook it a couple hours like you did. Then wrap in foil with apple juice. Cook another hour or so depending on size of cut. The juice steams the meat and adds flavor. Take out of foil and cook at 350 for about 30 to put a little bark on it.

The meat comes out very tender.

Core Lokt

What part of deer are you cooking? If a ham you should be able break it down to get 4 muscle sections out of it. Trim sinu prior to cooking. Can't cook a deer ham or shoulder like pork on a grill/smokeretc. . I agree with wrapping and basting as well.

specialk

We use to cook hind qtrs by wrapping in bacon, then double wrapping in foil, then on a cooker or oven for several hours like a butt....come out tender...chop and make sandwhiches....

Big7

The Oracle
There are better Deer- whisperers on here than me but I'd say the sinue ain't going to render down because it's not fat.

You can peel the outside or skin it like a fish with a fillet knife but you're stuck with the inside unless you do grind, stew or kabobs.

You can always take it out after you cook it and it does help it keep the shape.

The real thin, way down past the hide, I don't even worry about. You usually catch that on a cross cut and it's not a problem.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We use to cook hind qtrs by wrapping in bacon, then double wrapping in foil, then on a cooker or oven for several hours like a butt....come out tender...chop and make sandwhiches....
This should work well, same principle. Rendering bacon to add juice inside the wrap.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Sinew won`t render down. This won`t help with interior sinew inside hindquarters but it makes backstrap sinew removal easy. Old primitive skills trick.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very possible. Trim that roast up, get as much silverskin off as you can, put it on the smoker, and wrap it in foil when it hits about 160 internal. Keep it going until it's about 205 inside, or a probe slides in like you're sticking it in butter. Then you will have good, pull-able bbq. Deer meat either needs to be cooked medium-rare, or cooked until it's falling apart. Anything in between is tough.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Silver skin is collagen which doesn't start breaking down until 160 to 170 degrees and really needs to be held there for an extended time to to break it down effectively. There's not enough fat in venison to counter the drying effect of cooking on a grill, you're going to have to wrap and add liquid at some point as already mentioned. Meat mostly stops taking on smoke at around 140 degrees, so you can wrap at that point with no effect on the smoke flavor. I like to use bone in shoulders because the extra silver skin melts into gelatin and leaves a more moist end result. I start it on the smoker and then add beef broth and sake when I wrap it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Silver skin is collagen which doesn't start breaking down until 160 to 170 degrees and really needs to be held there for an extended time to to break it down effectively. There's not enough fat in venison to counter the drying effect of cooking on a grill, you're going to have to wrap and add liquid at some point as already mentioned. Meat mostly stops taking on smoke at around 140 degrees, so you can wrap at that point with no effect on the smoke flavor. I like to use bone in shoulders because the extra silver skin melts into gelatin and leaves a more moist end result. I start it on the smoker and then add beef broth and sake when I wrap it.
Whole shoulders make the best deerbq, IMO.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had much luck with it breaking down so I remove all of it before cooking.
The outside stuff, yeah. The stuff in between the muscle groups will usually break down.