Is this coyote chasing this deer?

Fork Horn

Got several videos of this coyote and a deer that seem to be related. Never got them on the same video, but from the date being the same and the time being similar, we believe the coyote is chasing this deer. If not the coyote, I'd say something has her running hard.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GeorgiaGlockMan

Can't tell from video...

I have seen 2 coyotes
running deer in my neighborhood.

Deer looked healthy.

Coyotes were working together running the deer to death.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I have seen several instances of coyotes chasing deer at a slow trot just to keep the moving and/or just hanging around them when they stop not attacking them because they know their stamina is still fresh. I think they will chase them slowly over long periods times in order to catch them at the end...

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
IMO yes. That’s how dogs hunt. They’re much more efficient at traveling distances while burning little energy. Their gait, nose, and stamina allow them to hunt this way..

Situation goes as such: Coyote jumps deer, deer goes into flight mode at 100%, coyote trails at 60-70% and uses nose to find deer again, Deer thinks it has evaded coyote and stops to rest, Then coyote jumps deer, deer goes into flight mode at 100%, repeat, repeat, repeat. Eventually the deer will run out of gas and the coyote will catch it. Dogs are the #2 predator out there. They are very good at what they do. 2nd only to cats.

I have seen coyotes in the MTNs work in teams of 3 and 4 ‘sweeping’ the hillsides. It’s pretty incredible..

Fork Horn

I had another video of a deer running up the hill before the one of the coyote. It was off to the side and was only there for an instant, which is the reason I didn’t include it. I was surprised to get the video of the coyote in the next video.

Of course you can’t see the layout of my place in the videos, but it’s a small place with cameras all across it so if something crosses my place, I will generally get photos of it on several different cameras. From the looks of that doe, I believe she’s been running for a bit. She certainly didn’t cross a creek up on the side of the mountain to get so wet looking. I’ve heard of dogs running something until they wear it down and suspect that this is what was happening in the video.

Last edited:

Wifeshusband

They kill far more deer than anyone gives them credit for. What happened to Georgia's bounty program. I know it got a lot of bad press in Atlanta area;
did the state can it?

Speaking of bounties, I believe it was Ft. Benning, years ago, that tried to get rid of the wild hog population or knock it down by offering bounties. You had to turn in a pig tail to collect. Then the local slaughterhouse in Columbus began noticing that domestic pigs brought in were missing their tails. Ft. Benning ended their bounty program shortly after this revelation.

Buckstop

Have watched packs running a deer twice. Each time the deer’s tongues were hanging out and yotes were a couple minutes behind at a trot n stop pace. Both times the lead yote was a couple minutes ahead of the pack, stopped n got shot. Shot two others both times when they walked up to sniff their dead buddy. First time that happened, I thought what are chances of shooting three in a sit, but dang if it didnt happen the same way a couple years later. That property had a bit of a problem with them.

280 Man

Banned
They kill far more deer than anyone gives them credit for. What happened to Georgia's bounty program. I know it got a lot of bad press in Atlanta area;
did the state can it?

Speaking of bounties, I believe it was Ft. Benning, years ago, that tried to get rid of the wild hog population or knock it down by offering bounties. You had to turn in a pig tail to collect. Then the local slaughterhouse in Columbus began noticing that domestic pigs brought in were missing their tails. Ft. Benning ended their bounty program shortly after this revelation.

SC proposed a bounty on coyotes but as with most things the caveat was how to pay for it.

However, the DNR tags and releases 16 coyotes per year. If you kill one they are worth a lifetime license.

Last edited:

LifeLongHunter

Might not be the exact coyote in the video, but you pretty much bank on it that a coyote is chasing her. By the looks of it she has been running for a bit, don't be surprised to find a carcass nearby.