It ain't much..BUT...

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
It's the first fish I've caught on a fly rod since 1978...may be the first ever since I can remember "trying" to use a fly rod when I was 12 to 13, but can't remember actually catching a fish back then. After reading Nic's and a few others post (and finding a good deal) I bought a new rod and have been "playing" with it in the front yard for a few months. Broke it out on the pond this morning, and after "several" cast..well..

100_3180.JPG

I'm as hooked as he was now.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
It's the first fish I've caught on a fly rod since 1978...may be the first ever since I can remember "trying" to use a fly rod when I was 12 to 13, but can't remember actually catching a fish back then. After reading Nic's and a few others post (and finding a good deal) I bought a new rod and have been "playing" with it in the front yard for a few months. Broke it out on the pond this morning, and after "several" cast..well..

View attachment 980510

I'm as hooked as he was now.
Right now..that fish is worth $100.00, granted IF I catch any more fish on this rig his value will diminish, but right now he's worth every cent.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Most awesome Batbro, anytime you see sumpin blow up on a fly is a dang good day !!!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Really healthy pond there buds,,,,great catches,,,,if I tried a fly rod,I'd probably hook myself,,,,
Oh...from what I've gathered...that's just part of the learning curve.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Dang, can't hardly walk, gotta grill some filets and ribeyes . . Can you say burn sumpin up ??

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! Those redbreasts pull like a fish twice their size!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Nice! Those redbreasts pull like a fish twice their size!
And since that being my first fish...I had the "drag" set WAY too low. I reeled and reeled till I could get the little rascale in.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Try just pulling line in with your hand. Much quicker for red breast and smaller
fish.
Thank you. That never ocured to me. Just figured one held the line till you caught up. This is learn as I go project.

Jrpc16

Welcome to the dark side of warm water fishing, nothing beats panfish on the fly! Used to fish the flats for trout, reds, and snook mostly with top water plugs just to see the explosive hits. Bluegill are just as fun and yes it can get expensive (luckily wife approves of this vice), but nothing beats slaying them with stuff you tie. That’s where the $$$ can add up, not to mention the mess on the floor!

Taxman

Hold your line picnched between your finger and the rod with the hand that
holds the rod. Pull the line through your pinch point with the free hand. Also,
great way to move the fly In small increments is by rolling line on free had in small
amounts:))