Jigger fishing

There used to be a group of guys came down from Tennessee in February-March when Lanier was muddy up above Ed Cox's place, maybe 30 years ago.
They had those long heavy cane poles, tied on maybe 3-4 feet of 100 pound test line, a big hook and a huge gob of live worms.
They'd move along the steep banks and drop that gob of worms into the little clear spot that's about 6 inches wide near the dirt of the bank before the muddy water.
The catches those guys made were something to behold.
I've fished behind them with the usual rig of a rod and reel and a jig and pork rind.
Never got close to what they could accomplish with those long poles and that gob of worms.
Stone cold deadly.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We used to do it at night while I lived in Texas. We used about a foot or less of line and would constantly tat-tap-tap the water with the tip of the pole. Gets your heart racing when the water erupts at your rod tip. This is that version:

I jumped about six inches out of my chair when that fish hit. :bounce:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Growing up we did it some on creeks and ponds where you couldn’t cast but we did it from bank.

I would rather shake that bob than any other kind of fishing

little rascal

A guy on Chattahoochie above Morgan Falls used to do that with a buzz bait and run it back and forth and catch some real nice ones.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
We used to do it at night while I lived in Texas. We used about a foot or less of line and would constantly tat-tap-tap the water with the tip of the pole. Gets your heart racing when the water erupts at your rod tip. This is that version:

The last time I saw anybody jiggerfishing was on the Oklawaha in the mid 70`s.

little rascal

That was me.
Cool, that was back in the day. We would sometimes anchor in the river and trout fish, but mostly fished down on the lakes for bream, perch, crappie and several other species. I also know of another guy who used to wear hip waders and walked the shorelines in the lakes and fished under the bushes with a rapala and used to catch some BIG TROUT.

The last time I saw anybody jiggerfishing was on the Oklawaha in the mid 70`s.
There arnt many folks doing it anymore. And never was alot of people doing it. I have been shaking the bob for about 30 years now. I have done it all over the state of florida. And would love to hear about some new spots around south ga and south alabama .