Josie's First Turkey! River Creek WMA

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
We were so excited when Bryce and Josie were drawn for the first youth quota hunt at River Creek WMA this year! Jamey and I scouted several times prior to the hunt. Opening morning called for rain so we set up blinds for both of them to help keep us dry. Josie hunted with me and Bryce with Jamey the first morning. We were in the blinds well before daylight and Josie fell asleep listening to the rain on the roof of the blind while we waited for sunrise. When the rain finally stopped we heard a turkey gobble and that gave us hope. I called a few times and he answered me once. We saw a hen come in the field. She fed across and left. I called again and a few minutes later saw a gobbler making his way up the far side of the field. Our hearts were both pounding so hard I just knew he would hear us! She got her gun up and I called again. It seemed like forever and we thought he would never get close enough. He would take a couple of steps then fan out and strut, he'd take another couple of steps and stop to peck at the ground. I was afraid he was going to see or hear us before he ever got close enough to shoot. I have never seen a gobbler so nonchalant but it was obvious he was so very slowly coming our way. When he finally got in range I called again and he stuck his head straight out and gobbled! There went our hearts, pounding again. I prayed Josie could hold the gun steady. I called again to get him to put his head up then told Josie to shoot him. She aimed, pulled the trigger and he hit the ground :fine: "I got him Granny and he's a gobbler"!!! She had the biggest smile on her face :love: Josie has been turkey hunting with me for 3 years now and missed a beautiful gobbler when she was 5 years old sitting in my lap and shooting a single shot .410... This time she didn't miss and it was awesome! :yeah: I shot my first turkey on March 30, 2009, and Josie shot her first March 30, 2018, 9 years to the day. I was so happy and proud to share this with her. Bryce and Jamey saw 26 turkeys opening morning, hens, jakes, and gobblers. They were all too far away to shoot. We hunted hard the next 2 days and enjoyed every minute of it. It's been a wonderful season with Bryce and Josie both getting their first turkey this year! God has surely blessed our time in the woods together, making memories :)

I'm a couple of weeks late posting this due to a death in my family but I really wanted to share what a great hunt we had at River Creek.

Attachments

• hunt6.JPG
    hunt6.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 733
  • hunt6a.JPG
    hunt6a.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 726
  • hunt6b.JPG
    hunt6b.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 737
  • hunt6c.JPG
    hunt6c.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 737
  • hunt6d.JPG
    hunt6d.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 741
  • hunt6dd.JPG
    hunt6dd.JPG
    381 KB · Views: 740
  • hunt6f.JPG
    hunt6f.JPG
    410.7 KB · Views: 738
  • hunt6g.JPG
    hunt6g.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 739
  • hunt6h.JPG
    hunt6h.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 742
  • hunt6i.JPG
    hunt6i.JPG
    423.4 KB · Views: 735
  • hunt6k.jpg
    hunt6k.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 732
  • hunt3h.JPG
    hunt3h.JPG
    480.3 KB · Views: 727
  • hunt6m.JPG
    hunt6m.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 726
  • hunt6o.JPG
    hunt6o.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 717
  • hunt6p.JPG
    hunt6p.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 723
  • hunt6r.jpg
    hunt6r.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 719
  • hunt6s.JPG
    hunt6s.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 719
  • hunt6t.JPG
    hunt6t.JPG
    434.7 KB · Views: 714
  • hunt6v.JPG
    hunt6v.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 713
Last edited:

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Congrats to granny and the happy little lady. And prayers for the family.

whatman

great pics

Way to go Josie! You have nerves of steel to watch one for that long and still be able to make the shot. Congrats on the limb hanger.

Gaswamp

congrats and thanks for sharing

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
:clap: Beautiful pictures!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

wvdawg

Staff member
Congrats to both of you. Well deserved bird for that cute little lady! Way to go granny!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Congratulations to Little Miss Tomboy Boots. Great bird for a purty little Lady.

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Let me say this... if you have the opportunity to introduce a child to hunting, do it. I was in my twenties before I shot my first deer. I was 43 before I shot my first turkey. What I would give to have been given this opportunity when I was 8 years old. I had to teach myself how to hunt. I'm making sure my grandchildren (all 6 of them!) learn to love the outdoors and hunting. The 2 four year olds and the two year old all beg me to take them hunting and fishing. The memories we make together will be with them long after I'm gone.