Kansas road trip. A little advice please.

The Rodney

I’m headed out with my 16-year-old son and a year and a half old GSP to Kansas. We will hunt public land and I’ve got lodging set up. The Kansas upland bird forecast looks pretty good and we will hunt for quail with some likelihood of kicking up a rooster. This is my first time owning a pointer and he does very well with liberated birds, for a youngster. So it’s a learning experience for all of us and the trip of the season the week of Thanksgiving. Here are some questions:

What things do you take with you for your dog? I’ll have a small kennel plus food and water. What types of things might you carry by way of an improvised first aid kit, do you supplement their food with anything.

I have an F150 and he will just ride in the backseat I don’t have a dog box and he is such a part of the family he would hate being back there, any potential problems with this?

How often do you give them a pee break?

I usually just keep his food bowl topped off all the time, I know that it’s not the usual, I’ll try and make sure he eats in the morning but would you give him any calories in the middle of the day? I understand he needs to not eat or drink immediately before or after exerting himself, is there a magic number like 30 minutes or an hour?

As for me and the boy we’re going to bring three shotguns and some number six shot, I understand the wild birds up there need a little more than the southern 7 1/2 or 8. But down here number six would be too much… Any thoughts? The other thing I thought was if we do kick up a rooster it would be nice to have the heavier payload.

Here is my biggest concern, I’ve only ever put a little bell on him and I like dogs that huntclose, would you hunt Kansas having never been there without a GPS collar? I just don’t feel like dropping the $700 so I’m wondering if there are people that rent GPS collars by the week.

Not new to the hunt but new to owning the dog… Not that I’m a master of the hunt either but I’m comfortable enough to step out and do this. It’s kind of been a decades long dream to have a pointer and go after some wild birds so I decided this was the year, maybe turning 50 had something to do with that. I don’t care if we put any on the ground, though I would like to seal the deal out of respect for my dog, I just wanna spend time with my son and dog going after some wild birds. Your expertise and advice is much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Gator89

Your dog should be able to go as long you can between pee breaks, my lab does when I take her on long road trips. Otherwise watch for signs of fidgeting/nervousness.

Gator89

Unless you are concerned about your dog chasing a deer or coyote out of the country, a GPS tracker is not needed. A shock collar may be appropriate.

Beagles N Boykins

Your dog can out last you on the trip. Look at the Garmin Alpha 10. It’s new and a simplified version of the 100/200 and cheaper. I would put any dog I valued on the ground without a gps. Just too many variables that can lead to a missing dog. We are taking our first trip to Kansas this year too. Staying at Kanapolis State park and doing walk in hunts. There is an interactive map of al public land. Just search Kansas public land Atlas. We will be out December 8-15th. Give me a shout if you are out then.

tucker80

Always with me on hunts-
Blue lotion, emt gel, that elastic tape, maybe a staple gun. Never know where a piece of metal or glass will he laying...

Know how to open a trap before you go. Hopefully you wont have to, but just in case.

Gundog supply has some pre made first aid kits available.

Dont feed him while he's running, that can be bad news. I personally feed late evening after everything has settled down and normal amounts just like we were at home. Always have water available, for y'all and the dog.

catch22

Im certainly no expert, but 6s seem too much for quail (we use 8s and 9s out of a 20ga down here)....if thats your target species. Id go with a 7.5 at most. That should handle a rooster that flushes close. Ive killed a bunch of pheasants using 7.5s on tower shoots (I know flushing may be different)

I may be speaking out of line, but thats just what I would think

Good luck...sounds like a fun trip!

Jetjockey

Yes, you want a GPS. The cover can be thick and KS has some BIG country it’s easy to lose a dog even when they are close. Bring pre-wrap and Duck-tape and watch your dogs pads. By Thanksgiving, you will be covering some country to find quail as they get pushed off the public land pretty quickly, and you don’t want to ruin your dog after traveling that far to hunt. Shoot 6’s or even 5’s if you’ll be in pheasant country. 6’s aren’t too much for quail, and it’s as small as you want to go for pheasant. Concentrate on Northern/Central KS for a mixed bag. Id start around a Hill City and head North toward Norton along 283. There will be more pheasants the further West you go from there, and more quail to the East. Also, download Onyx maps, and make offline maps since there will be areas out there with no cell coverage. Good luck, and don’t burn your dog out. That’s a long way to go with only one dog, but it can be done. I hunt that area a lot, and you will find birds. Sometimes it’s epic, and sometimes it can be frustrating, but that’s wild bird hunting.

If you wind up in a small one caution light KS town with just one eating place that's a combination honky tonk/pool hall/restaurant and you see beef fries, hog fries, or turkey fries on the menu . . those aren't the same as chicken tenders in GA.

NCMTNHunter

Yes, you want a GPS. The cover can be thick and KS has some BIG country it’s easy to lose a dog even when they are close. Bring pre-wrap and Duck-tape and watch your dogs pads. By Thanksgiving, you will be covering some country to find quail as they get pushed off the public land pretty quickly, and you don’t want to ruin your dog after traveling that far to hunt. Shoot 6’s or even 5’s if you’ll be in pheasant country. 6’s aren’t too much for quail, and it’s as small as you want to go for pheasant. Concentrate on Northern/Central KS for a mixed bag. Id start around a Hill City and head North toward Norton along 283. There will be more pheasants the further West you go from there, and more quail to the East. Also, download Onyx maps, and make offline maps since there will be areas out there with no cell coverage. Good luck, and don’t burn your dog out. That’s a long way to go with only one dog, but it can be done. I hunt that area a lot, and you will find birds. Sometimes it’s epic, and sometimes it can be frustrating, but that’s wild bird hunting.

Do any of the walk in areas in kansas require non toxic shot that you know of?

Gator89

Each area will have to be checked on an individual basis.

NON-TOXIC-SHOT-ONLY AREAS
In these areas, non-toxic shot is the only shotgun load allowed, whether ducks, upland game, or other small game are being hunted.
  • Benedictine Bottoms WA
  • Cheyenne Bottoms WA
  • Cherokee Lowlands WA
  • Flint Hills NWR
  • Gurley Salt Marsh WA
  • Herron Playa WA
  • Isabel Wetlands WA
  • Jamestown WA
  • Kirwin NWR
  • Marais des Cygnes NWR
  • Marais des Cygnes WA
  • McPherson Wetlands WA
  • Neosho WA
  • Otter Creek WA
  • Quivira NWR, Slate Creek WA
  • Stein Playa WA
  • Talmo Marsh WA
  • Texas Lake WA
  • Wild Turkey Playa WA
  • other areas as posted

The Rodney

That is good info. The map The state of Kansas has online allows you to look at the requirements for each area and I'm good with leg shot.

Jetjockey

Most of the places where you hunt upland birds, the WIHA areas, don’t require non toxic. I shoot good old fashioned lead in KS.

Stonewall 2

I’m headed out with my 16-year-old son and a year and a half old GSP to Kansas. We will hunt public land and I’ve got lodging set up. The Kansas upland bird forecast looks pretty good and we will hunt for quail with some likelihood of kicking up a rooster. This is my first time owning a pointer and he does very well with liberated birds, for a youngster. So it’s a learning experience for all of us and the trip of the season the week of Thanksgiving. Here are some questions:

What things do you take with you for your dog? I’ll have a small kennel plus food and water. What types of things might you carry by way of an improvised first aid kit, do you supplement their food with anything.

I have an F150 and he will just ride in the backseat I don’t have a dog box and he is such a part of the family he would hate being back there, any potential problems with this?

How often do you give them a pee break?

I usually just keep his food bowl topped off all the time, I know that it’s not the usual, I’ll try and make sure he eats in the morning but would you give him any calories in the middle of the day? I understand he needs to not eat or drink immediately before or after exerting himself, is there a magic number like 30 minutes or an hour?

As for me and the boy we’re going to bring three shotguns and some number six shot, I understand the wild birds up there need a little more than the southern 7 1/2 or 8. But down here number six would be too much… Any thoughts? The other thing I thought was if we do kick up a rooster it would be nice to have the heavier payload.

Here is my biggest concern, I’ve only ever put a little bell on him and I like dogs that huntclose, would you hunt Kansas having never been there without a GPS collar? I just don’t feel like dropping the $700 so I’m wondering if there are people that rent GPS collars by the week.

Not new to the hunt but new to owning the dog… Not that I’m a master of the hunt either but I’m comfortable enough to step out and do this. It’s kind of been a decades long dream to have a pointer and go after some wild birds so I decided this was the year, maybe turning 50 had something to do with that. I don’t care if we put any on the ground, though I would like to seal the deal out of respect for my dog, I just wanna spend time with my son and dog going after some wild birds. Your expertise and advice is much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Carry a leather man or pair of pliers for pulling sand spurs and or burrs out of his/her pads.

I take an old Coleman 18 cooler filled with water in the back of the truck and sit it out evertime we stop for a break hunting and driving. If going to be away from the truck for awhile hunting I will throw my collapsible water bowl in my vest and two water bottles.

Good luck I’m leaving for South Dakota in a week and a half.

Last edited:

The Donk

If I was driving all the way out West with one dog, I would make sure that it was in top shape before heading out. A lame dog could put a damper on a trip like that. My particular GSP is terrible around wire, which is my only real concern when taking her hunting on new ground. She is used to hunting super thick cover for Woodcock and just plows through everything. Needless to say a first aid kit with wound care essentials is always with us now.

cowhornedspike

Hunted Fort Riley at Junction City KS...lots of birds and ground...also lots of razor wire pieces randomly scattered around half buried. Fortunately we had no dog injuries but I snagged my boot on a piece and ripped it wide open across the toe.

HuntJS

If it rains the dog will have gumbo mud all over it's legs and between toes. As far as riding in the backseat. Keep an old bedsheet or something disposable to save your seat covers. It doesn't wash off easy. We went last year with one dog. Had a great time.

Nimrod71

I didn't read all of the above so I don't know if someone included dog boots. I would carry boots for the dog in case they are needed. There are stickers in the western states we don't have here and they can stop a dog cold, he can't hunt if he can't walk. Good Luck and have a good time.

Gator89

Good luck I’m leaving for South Dakota in a week and a half.

I fly out to meet my padnah in Minneapolis on Thursday 10/14. Will drive to Pierre on Friday.

I am told it is best to bring ammo with you if you have it, shells are sparse in SoDak like everywhere else.

I have 5 boxes from the last time I drove in 2018 I am going to carry in my checked bag.