Knife blade length

ucfireman

So I'm working with a guy who is asking about knife carry. Specifically the length of the blade. Does Ga have a law on how long is too long for a knife to be carried. Either in a sheath or not and either concealed or not. He has contacted the courthouse, sheriff, and police and no one seems to know of knife laws. I say just carry and be done but he wants to be legal. We are not talking a pocket knife. Its a k bar style knife with 7 inch blade and 11.8 overall.

Donal

These laws change often and i cant remember the code section of the ga code.
When I carry such, its open carry for any fixed blade.

DAVE

The old law in Georgia was any knife over 5 inch blade required permit to carry. New law passed in 2021 says any knife 12 inches or under may be carried without permit concealed or otherwise. Your friend needs to research this himself and not take my interpretation. I am guessing if he cannot legally carry a gun in Georgia, then he can't legally carry a knife such as a k-bar.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
The old law in Georgia was any knife over 5 inch blade required permit to carry. New law passed in 2021 says any knife 12 inches or under may be carried without permit concealed or otherwise. Your friend needs to research this himself and not take my interpretation. I am guessing if he cannot legally carry a gun in Georgia, then he can't legally carry a knife such as a k-bar.
Yup

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
There is a specifec 2" blade limit for schools, school functions, etc.

ucfireman

This is what we found yesterday, but the dates showed 2017.
Then I got to thinking about "constitutional carry" and does it apply to all "weapons" or just firearms.
He is able to get a a CWP but doesn't have one at this time.
He doesn't really have a desire to carry his gun just his knife, in public. So he says.

Thanks everyone.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
This is what we found yesterday, but the dates showed 2017.
Then I got to thinking about "constitutional carry" and does it apply to all "weapons" or just firearms.
He is able to get a a CWP but doesn't have one at this time.
He doesn't really have a desire to carry his gun just his knife, in public. So he says.

Thanks everyone.
In short, any knife with blade of greater than 12 inches is covered under the new law. However, anything under 12" blade doesn't have any restrictions on carry, as I understand it. (see "Georgia Knife Law Reform Bill, SB 49")

The new law applies to "weapons" which are defined as "knives" and "handguns." In this context, a knife isn't a "knife" unless it has a blade greater than 12".

Obviously, I ain't no laywer, and this ain't no legal advice...

ucfireman

Here is the simple version.

If the blade is less than 12", Georgia couldn't care less what it is, or how you carry it...
Hospitals do care also, They have signs posted everywhere saying no weapons, guns or knives.
I know it all boils down to "private property" with them.
I assume that part of the law has not changed?
Private property owners can still deny access to persons with weapons if they want?
Just cant press charges unless the person denies to leave, then its trespassing.

Am I correcet?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Hospitals do care also, They have signs posted everywhere saying no weapons, guns or knives.
I know it all boils down to "private property" with them.
I assume that part of the law has not changed?
Private property owners can still deny access to persons with weapons if they want?
Just cant press charges unless the person denies to leave, then its trespassing.

Am I correcet?

"No weapons" signs on private property do not carry the force of law in Georgia. Ignore them. Carry if you want to. If asked to leave, do so.

It ain't trespassing UNTIL there has been a police report filed, and you have been served with a trespass notice forbidding you to be there any longer.

Most places won't go to the trouble of calling the law to serve you the notice... ?

Latest posts