Lake Burton record brown trout caught

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Wow what a beautiful fish , thanks for the thread Lampern ! I’ve never fished Burton but have some of the creeks close by . May try my luck this fall when I’m in the area hunting .4A6D306E-325A-4E5A-B6FC-35A45F57A233.jpeg

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wild & BIG Brown Trout exist and thrive in many N. GA trout streams. I have fished several “small” headwater brook trout type creeks high up in elevation that surprisingly have produced many nice 14” to 16” naturally occurring Browns. Many trout fishermen are unaware of these Browns in these creeks because they are too noisy and and spook these ultra wary Browns. Larry Padget, the former Lake Burton WMA Manager who rode around in his Jeep with his friendly Golden Retriever from decades ago, told me, believe it or not, that the heavily stocked trout streams had some bona fide monster Browns that fed on stocked trout in most of the very popular “put & take streams”. Fishing for these big Browns is more hunting than fishing. A very stealthy and thoughtful approach is needed.
That is very true here in western NC, too. In the stocked creeks, almost every bridge stocking hole has a resident big brown that eats the doughbellies.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Wild & BIG Brown Trout exist and thrive in many N. GA trout streams. I have fished several “small” headwater brook trout type creeks high up in elevation that surprisingly have produced many nice 14” to 16” naturally occurring Browns. Many trout fishermen are unaware of these Browns in these creeks because they are too noisy and and spook these ultra wary Browns. Larry Padget, the former Lake Burton WMA Manager who rode around in his Jeep with his friendly Golden Retriever from decades ago, told me, believe it or not, that the heavily stocked trout streams had some bona fide monster Browns that fed on stocked trout in most of the very popular “put & take streams”. Fishing for these big Browns is more hunting than fishing. A very stealthy and thoughtful approach is needed.

That is very true here in western NC, too. In the stocked creeks, almost every bridge stocking hole has a resident big brown that eats the doughbellies.
rainn-wilson.gif

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
One of my great uncles from Batesville up there above Helen had one the wall that was 34".
Said he caught it out of a hole in a creek that wasn't 34" wide.
Had a 'state record' 19" brookie also…

Last edited: