Led strip lights for navigation

Big7

The Oracle
Been a while since I had a lake boat but used to be the one in the back had to be on a pole of a certain height.

Prob in the free reg book at Walmart or on E- Regs.
It would obviously be safer if they were on a pole. IMO. ?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
You may be able to get away with it for a while until you come up against an authority that knows the rules and the purpose of the lights. They are designed not to to be seen at certain angles around the boat.
The red and green portions of the light should not be visible simultaneously. This is the way bow lights are designed to work.

"Arc of visibility "...
arc-of-visibility-of-lights-680x491.png

Basic Rules and Definitions
Port sidelights are red, starboard sidelights are green and both shine from dead ahead to 112.5° aft on either side.
Stern lights are white and shine aft and 67.5° forward on each side. (Thus, the sidelights and stern light create a full circle of light.)
All-round lights are white and shine through 360
The Stern light mentioned here is not applicable on most recreational boats until they are of a certain length. The all around light is required...

Last edited:

harderthansoft

I've seen others with this setup. Just never took the time to notice if they had a pole also. Basically when I installed my ulterra, it hid the pole light. I looked on line for a longer one. But didn't see where there was a longer option

Attachments

• 5543b038-0971-478e-b7a0-a7809885f4fe.jpg
    5543b038-0971-478e-b7a0-a7809885f4fe.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 24

JROESEL

I’ve got them on my rig, flip of a switch and we’re running, I’ve been checked several times, and one even said he’s going to set up his boat the same way, they are mounted about ten inches on each side of the center of the bow, and they are bright, I will get a picture if you need one

TroyBoy30

I ran led strips and no pole for years. Never had an issue on Lanier. In fact I had 2 agents tell me how much they liked them

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Another indication of enforcers of the law not knowing the law and understanding the reason for it. The law about lighting is written to allow a boater to determine which boat has the right of way at night by what lights of what color are visible to each boat.

1eyefishing

Another indication of enforcers of the law not understanding the law and the reason for it. The law about lighting is written to allow a boater to determine which boat has the right of way at night by what lights of what color are visible to each boat.
Yep, If you want to meet the nav light requirements, all you need to do is Google 'nav light requirements'

I didn't highlight these 2 paragraphs...

.https://tradewindssailing.com/wordpress/?p=2099#:~:text=All vessels must display proper,be mistaken for navigation lights.

Screenshot_20220603-045209_Chrome.jpg

Not trying to flame anyone or start an argument, but public waters require
USGS approved lights.

harderthansoft

Well the picture I posted is mine. I did it and removed my pole. Then as I was getting gas the other day a older gentleman than (myself) lol ask me about it.

I had did it cause I have seen other boats with it. But then I got to wondering if they had removed their pole.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We aren't trying to flame anyone but to answer the question in the original post. You can remove the pole but your lights would not be legal and you could get a ticket any time there was a requirement for running lights or an anchor light.

On LEO telling you that it looks great and not giving you a ticket does not prevent another LEO who actually knows the law and the reason for it from giving you a ticket.

BoosterC

I had did it cause I have seen other boats with it. But then I got to wondering if they had removed their pole.

To clear things up a bit, the Key is: what do you mean by"removing the pole"?
Are you talking about the white anchor light that is on the rear of the boat? Or are you talking about a front pole on your boat that has the red/green lights and plugs in at the bow?

If your talking only about the bow pole, then you should be good to go. If you are talking about eliminating your rear pole white running/anchor light then NO you are not legal.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
To clear things up a bit, the Key is: what do you mean by"removing the pole"?
Are you talking about the white anchor light that is on the rear of the boat? Or are you talking about a front pole on your boat that has the red/green lights and plugs in at the bow?

If your talking only about the bow pole, then you should be good to go. If you are talking about eliminating your rear pole white running/anchor light then NO you are not legal.

Good post.
A lot of people don't realize what the white light is actually for.
Scenario:
Night fishing and on the power poles or trolling motor spot lock.
You do not have to have the red/green lights on (it's actually confusing to other boaters).
You do have to have the white light on.

1eyefishing

And a lot of people don't know why it's important for both colors of the bow light not to be visible simultaneously.. If you cross the heading of a lit boat at night a couple hundred or more yds away you will see the light change color suddenly as you cross. This is because the light of the strong side overpowers the little bit of light from the weak side. The sides are divided. This lets a knowledgeable boater underway assess very quickly whether or not a vessel approaching him from the beam side is headed in front of him or behind him. With only a glance. This is pertinent with quickly deciding who is the give way vessel.The vessel on the right should stay on course.

I would have thought that all LEOs operating a patrol vessel would be as studied and tested in this at least as much as those of us who have acquired a USGS Captain's license (6-pack), Even if they don't have to document the hundreds of hours navigating outside of inlets, rivers, and passes. After all, they are working on a boat...

skiff20

Think about it this way. How many pontoon boats have you ever seen with a pole nav. light on the front of the boat. They all have a red light on the left front corner and a green light on the right front corner.

1eyefishing

And those lights, if installed correctly by the manufacturer, will not show both simultaneously.
You will not be able to see the opposite side from anywhere off to the side in front of the boat.

1eyefishing

I have 2 single LED lights in the stainless rub rail around my bayboat. They are set up correctly so you can only see one at a time.

1eyefishing

> 2 mins....
Note the lights on the Coast Guard vessel at the 1 minute mark.
You CAN see both but one obviously brighter...

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
There is no regulation that the bow lights be on a pole. They are mounted that way because that is probably the easiest and least expensive way for the manufacturer to rig the boat.

They can be replaced legally by lights that are in compliance with the regulations, ie. they show from dead ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam.

dang

DANG !!!
There is no regulation that the bow lights be on a pole. They are mounted that way because that is probably the easiest and least expensive way for the manufacturer to rig the boat.

They can be replaced legally by lights that are in compliance with the regulations, ie. they show from dead ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam.
Yes the pole is not a requirement. Here’s an example of mine they are built into the hull but you can see how they’re angled (from factory) to meet the requirement. I do a lot of nighttime boating and I’ll say regardless of what the actual law says it is very frustrating to other boaters when folks have all sorts of non compliant lights shining every which way. The intent of the lights is to ensure other boaters can determine from a safe distance that there is another boat present, which direction that boat is facing or angled, and if the boat is under power or anchored. Just keep that in mind, I’ve had a few very scary instances in the past where I almost hit smaller boats due to a lack of compliance. I’m sure accountability is probably a lot more lax on some of the smaller inland lakes but I can promise there would be tickets being written left and right out on the coast for some of the rigs I’ve seen floating. Whatever you do, stay safe out there!

image.jpg