Legality?

slow motion

Now this pertains to hunting because I always carry a pocket knife and of late I prefer the assisted opening type. Flip the lever that is a part of the back of the blade and it opens up. Carried one every trip up to Illinois last season. Are assisted opening pocket knives legal in Illinois? According to what I have read they may fall under switchblades which are legal if you have one of their state FOID permits. If you are not a resident only 2 circumstances allow you to obtain one. Active duty military stationed in IL. Or work in IL and your job requires it. So probably will carry something else if I go back. Those that hunt other states might want to check your states laws. Illinois has confusing laws about transporting firearms and ammo too.

20230511_095902.jpg

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Milwaukee has a knife I liked. It opens with the flick of the wrist easy. Push a button on the side to unlock blade to close. And it is a tool.

earlthegoat2

The advice about keeping up with different states general weapons laws is just as prudent as keeping up with the game laws and hunting devices.

Illinois is a special snowflake unto itself when it comes to general weapons laws and since so many folks from around the country hunt there, it is wise to familiarize yourself with the nuances…and lunacy, at times.

There are odd “switchblade” laws in MI also, where I hunt a few weeks a year. Assisted openers are allowed though either by statute or institutionalized lack of enforcement. Which is funny because I can bring my carry gun with me and carry it concealed in MI with my GA carry license.

The bigger thing I worry about though is having a 5 round magazine in my semi auto since they restrict cartridge capacity for hunting in MI. Of course there are straight wall cartridge regs to where I hunt.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Nice little tool you got there slow……I’d keep it in my pocket and not worry about it. I’d just make sure keep my firearm legal. I had to put the plug back in my shotgun to hunt KY, for example.

slow motion

I prefer to err on the side of caution. Their laws also have allowances for intent. Meaning it's open to interpretation by the officer. I've got a whole drawer full of other knife options.