Lely spreader

7 point

I picked up a lely spreader today it needs a little work all the mechanics work on it it just needs some metal work a little rusted I only paid $100 for it looked in line used its $3900 anyone have any experience with these I'm going to use it for foodplots. 20221029_152107.jpg

buckmanmike

With those small turf tires I dont think it would work for food plots unless you really smooth out your dirt.
Go luck with it.

earlthegoat2

The open/close mechanism is the weak link. Usually these were used for fertilizer apps and were never rinsed down after use which leads to corrosion of the moving parts that is pretty difficult to repair without replacing a bunch of parts.

The “fix” is to drench it in penetrating oil and then some other on hand lubricant while working the open close lever which is usually attached to a rope. This should get you by for your app but you will need to rinse and repeat before every use.

Also, if it was ever in the “engage” mode while being transported at high speed, it will have premature wear to the drive mechanism. I have replaced one before and it is doable but expensive.

Where did you buy it from or what was its history? Golf courses or other turf maintenance outfits often use these. If it was on a golf course then they usually use them hard and put em up wet and there was probably a reason they got rid of it.

Your pictures don’t show the open/close parts directly but I can see there is rust in all the usual places.

For $100 bucks I think you will still be able to get your money worth even if it has all my mentioned problems.

7 point

With those small turf tires I dont think it would work for food plots unless you really smooth out your dirt.
Go luck with it.
It needs tire I can put a bigger atv type tire on it I know it would change the ratio a little

7 point

The open/close mechanism is the weak link. Usually these were used for fertilizer apps and were never rinsed down after use which leads to corrosion of the moving parts that is pretty difficult to repair without replacing a bunch of parts.

The “fix” is to drench it in penetrating oil and then some other on hand lubricant while working the open close lever which is usually attached to a rope. This should get you by for your app but you will need to rinse and repeat before every use.

Also, if it was ever in the “engage” mode while being transported at high speed, it will have premature wear to the drive mechanism. I have replaced one before and it is doable but expensive.

Where did you buy it from or what was its history? Golf courses or other turf maintenance outfits often use these. If it was on a golf course then they usually use them hard and put em up wet and there was probably a reason they got rid of it.

Your pictures don’t show the open/close parts directly but I can see there is rust in all the usual places.

For $100 bucks I think you will still be able to get your money worth even if it has all my mentioned problems.
Not sure of its history the guy did have a horse ranch I assume he used it on his property .

7 point

Go luck with it.
The tires are 18inches bigger than most pull behind spreaders there like golfcart tires

7 point

Did some work on the spreader today , put tires on it 20 inch a little bit bigger welded a ball coupler and some patches over 2 holes that was in the hopper.

Latest posts