Ling are showing up

Cmp1

BANNED
Ling love eels.
I'm a cheapskate, if I'm sight casting to them, I throw a Mann's 12" jelly worm on a 7/0 Mustad hook and swim it by them.
I've heard great things about those Manns jelly worms for bass,,,,I've got two Manns shallow crank baits that I like,,,,a craw one especially,,,,

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I could have been 1st on Monday in Pensacola... had about 30 shots on 8 to 12 fish. Some could have been duplicate as they moved in-and-out of my sight. Mostly singles but did see one group of 3. Couldn't get any takers. Very exciting and frustrating at the same time…
The pier there picked one off on the 17th.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I remember about 30 years ago I found a nice hanging around a buoy off Mexico Beach. I fooled with that fish for over an hour for nothing. When I went back in an old man at the slip gave me some good advice. Said to tie a white jig on and tip it with a small squid, ease up to casting distance of the buoy right at daylight, and when I cast, make sure to bounce the jig off the side of the buoy. Next morning I did that very thing and soon as the jig bounced off the buoy and hit the water, that cobia nailed it. Since that time I`ve used that trick to trick more than once.

Geffellz18

One of the best to me, ranks right up there with flounder, grouper, and mullet. They`re a fun fish, you hunt them.

Agreed 100%. One of the best eating fish in the water IMO.
It’s been many years since I’ve fished for them, but they are definitely fun to mess around with!
I’d love to get back home during the run someday to fool around with them.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I remember about 30 years ago I found a nice hanging around a buoy off Mexico Beach. I fooled with that fish for over an hour for nothing. When I went back in an old man at the slip gave me some good advice. Said to tie a white jig on and tip it with a small squid, ease up to casting distance of the buoy right at daylight, and when I cast, make sure to bounce the jig off the side of the buoy. Next morning I did that very thing and soon as the jig bounced off the buoy and hit the water, that cobia nailed it. Since that time I`ve used that trick to trick more than once.
And I thought I was doing something original bouncing crickets off of flooded tree trunks. That works very well by the way.Floating double taper flyline,tiny cork,b split shot,and a rolling cast.

live hardtail (blue runner) is hard to beat. Early in ling season they will take a ling jig readily.

Last word panama City beach piers are both open and Fort Walton Beach, fishermen only, no walk ons.

catch22

They will absolutely tear a boat to pieces if you throw a big one in the bottom of the boat. They go directly into a ice chest and then sit on the ice chest until they quit bouncing