What size mold

Geezer Ray

I'm wanting to give powder coating cast bullets another go. My mold is for .356 casting 124 gr. What size mold should I use.to cast 9mm? How much thickness is added when powder coating?

trial&error

.356 is the size for lead 9mm after you run it through the sizing die. I have bought the powder coat, but haven't actually used it. So no idea what it adds.

Dub

i may be wrong but i think @rosewood coats his and maybe @Dub

This Dub guy you mentioned……he has dies, sizing dies, molds, lead, HiTek powder, melting pot, modified super awesome spout, dedicated toaster oven, etc,etc.

This guy Dub has cast an exact total of zero boolets.

He sucks.

He works, sleeps, works,sleeps…..and when a day off comes around he wastes it doing time draining chores and resting aching bones.

Well…..he recently did get back in with his doctor….so some of the aches and low energy are hopefully improving.

And he also just got off a call with his financial planner guy who revisited investments, tweeked a few things, scolded Dub for being outa balance>heavy on guns and low on cash.……but he also kicked around the numbas….Ole Dubs can retire at 59.5, 60, 61, or 62 and live his dream to hunt, fish, shoot and have a house full of German Shepards & Rottweilers.

Ole Dubs sucks…..but he is stepping easier today than yesterweek…..and will be slowing down at work and speeding up on fun. :rofl:

4 more years.

PS……the financial guy was grooving over the 1911 aspects of financial irresponsibility. He was ‘miring….and said to throttle back in other areas if Dubs must acquire moar 1911s.

———————-

I will check my gear and post up what the mold & die sizes are for the 9mm / .38 Super

Geezer Ray

I have .356 ,124 gr molds, goodwill dedicated toaster oven- up to 450 degrees with timer, sizing die .356, Eastman or Eastwood powder coating or something like that.

Dub just remember, once you retire like me, you are no longer a producer , but become a spender like me.

Dub

I have .356 ,124 gr molds, goodwill dedicated toaster oven- up to 450 degrees with timer, sizing die .356, Eastman or Eastwood powder coating or something like that.

Dub just remember, once you retire like me, you are no longer a producer , but become a spender like me.
You are well provisioned with the .356, powder and four fiddy oven.

Spot on about the transition from earner to spender.
That is the tricky part.

I must:

A) maintain stout discipline throughout my remaining earning & saving years

B) get in shape so I can pursue the financial windfall of being a senior male stripper on ladies night at the BINGO lounge…..nothing like being pelted with dimes, nickels and a few quarters. It‘ll at least cover the expense of new fishing line and fresh off brand treble hooks…..I’d have ta make it rain to buy the Gamakatzu stuff…..gotta be careful, don’t wanna throw my back out while busting a move…

:rofl:

rosewood

.356 is the size for lead 9mm after you run it through the sizing die. I have bought the powder coat, but haven't actually used it. So no idea what it adds.
It seems to add about .002" or so. I coat mine then size afterwards. Makes for a perfect boolit! I use the Lee push thru sizers.

Really nice if you have a mold that drops the boolits a tad undersized, the PC bumps it up, then you size back to where you want it. Also, if your cast is by chance not perfectly round, the sizer straightens it up.

I use the .356 sizer for 9mm/357 sig and the .358 sizer for .38/357 mag. .401 for 40/10mm. .430 for 44mag and .452 for 45acp/45Colt. And .380 for my .38-55 Marlin 93, my new favo-rite toy. :)

I have detected 0 leading with PC'd boolits.

Rosewood

Dub

It seems to add about .002" or so. I coat mine then size afterwards. Makes for a perfect boolit! I use the Lee push thru sizers.

Really nice if you have a mold that drops the boolits a tad undersized, the PC bumps it up, then you size back to where you want it. Also, if your cast is by chance not perfectly round, the sizer straightens it up.

I use the .356 sizer for 9mm/357 sig and the .358 sizer for .38/357 mag. .401 for 40/10mm. .430 for 44mag and .452 for 45acp/45Colt. And .380 for my .38-55 Marlin 93, my new favo-rite toy. :)

Rosewood
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

rosewood

Instead of acquiring a used toaster oven. I just bought a new/upgraded one for the house and retired the old one to the shop. :) You get in less trouble that way.

Geezer Ray

Rosewood
Outstanding info there Mr. Rosewood,
I size .356 after pour, preheat at 200 degrees, into coffee can with Eastwood Hot Powder Coat. Tumble by hand while oven preheats to 450 degrees, allow coating to melt and flow. Turn oven to 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then 375 for 20 minutes. Cold water quench.
I can't seem to get full coverage. I don't know how to induce a static charge into bullets for powder covering.

The bullets in the pictures are what I turned out today. Not total failure but far from perfect.

Dub, I've already tried the male striper route. Thought they was going to kill me before I could run out of Sunny Acres. Those rascals can move on those walkers.

Attachments

• 20240510_135704.jpg
    20240510_135704.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240510_135655.jpg
    20240510_135655.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240510_135646.jpg
    20240510_135646.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 6

Dub

Forgot to add another trip through the sizing die after quench.

I'd read up over on Cast Boolits site about the powder coating methods.

One of the universal best practices seemed to be to shake the lead projos in a certain composition plastic tub with a handful of airsoft bb's in there to help with the agitation and building of a static charge that aided in coverage.

If I remember correctly the type of plastic they recommended was "#5". Cool Whip container ??? There will be a universal mark on the bottom side of the various containers stating what type composition it is. #5 or type5 was the ticket.

There is a guy on YouTube, FortuneCookie45LC. He has a pile of videos on his bullet casting and resizing.

I'll see if I can find some of them.

Enjoyable videos, too.

He's got a heap of info.

Supernice hombre.

This guy goes about it with a lower temp and doesn't water quench. Not sure why. The quench seems to be universally liked.

Here's a good un.

recycle symbol #5 containers.

Airsoft BB's.

Great powders from "Smoke" over on CastBoolits.

Last edited:

Liberty

I'm wanting to give powder coating cast bullets another go. My mold is for .356 casting 124 gr. What size mold should I use.to cast 9mm? How much thickness is added when powder coating?
Ray, I’d go with .356. 1 to 2 thousandths additional growth of the bullet is to be expected. I’ve been powder coating for years. Normally cast bullets have some size inconsistencies when cast. Keeping the heat source level helps with that. Quality powder coating has worked better for me than the Harbor Freight offerings. After powder coating, the bullets are slicker than just a plain case bullet, and I run them thru the Lee push thru die. I’d rather shoot powder coated than sized lubed bullets. You should wind up with .356 diameter, great shooting, clean bullets. I won my single stack division in a USPSA match once with my home cast 452 bullets. It made the W that much better. Good shooting to you sir.7F4DD33C-E8AD-4E34-A0A6-49812C9C05F4.jpeg

Liberty

Instead of acquiring a used toaster oven. I just bought a new/upgraded one for the house and retired the old one to the shop. :) You get in less trouble that way.
Same here!

Liberty

Outstanding info there Mr. Rosewood,
I size .356 after pour, preheat at 200 degrees, into coffee can with Eastwood Hot Powder Coat. Tumble by hand while oven preheats to 450 degrees, allow coating to melt and flow. Turn oven to 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then 375 for 20 minutes. Cold water quench.
I can't seem to get full coverage. I don't know how to induce a static charge into bullets for powder covering.

The bullets in the pictures are what I turned out today. Not total failure but far from perfect.

Dub, I've already tried the male striper route. Thought they was going to kill me before I could run out of Sunny Acres. Those rascals can move on those walkers.
I use a plastic container to get the powder to stick. Back in my HarborFreight powder days, I used an old tumbler to make enough static to get coverage.

rosewood

I bought my powder from smoke on castboolits. I use the clear. I shake in a cool whip bowl with black air soft bbs. Pick out boolits with plastic gloves and place on non stick Al foil on baking tray. I bake at 400 for 15min. Let cool and remove from tray, ready to load. Never had any coverage issues with that powder. My first attempts was using HF red and it didn't cover completely.

Rosewood

Geezer Ray

Ray, I’d go with .356. 1 to 2 thousandths additional growth of the bullet is to be expected. I’ve been powder coating for years. Normally cast bullets have some size inconsistencies when cast. Keeping the heat source level helps with that. Quality powder coating has worked better for me than the Harbor Freight offerings. After powder coating, the bullets are slicker than just a plain case bullet, and I run them thru the Lee push thru die. I’d rather shoot powder coated than sized lubed bullets. You should wind up with .356 diameter, great shooting, clean bullets. I won my single stack division in a USPSA match once with my home cast 452 bullets. It made the W that much better. Good shooting to you sir.View attachment 1304926
Thank you so much. I do have the Lee push through sized die and use it. Like I mentioned my issue is better coverage for the powder. Looks like I'm fixin to eat some cool whip which I don't like and buy me some air soft bb's.

One more question, do you separate and stand your bullets up before heating and curing?

rosewood

I do stand mine up, but have seen some folks that just toss on tray. I have had them stick if they touch and some times have flashing hanging off. After baking, let cool to touch, then knock them over, tend to stick a bit to tray.

Rosewood

Geezer Ray

I do stand mine up, but have seen some folks that just toss on tray. I have had them stick if they touch and some times have flashing hanging off. After baking, let cool to touch, then knock them over, tend to stick a bit to tray.

Rosewood
Do you use parchment paper. They don't stick to it. At least that's been my experience so far.