load recommedations Barnes ttsx 150gr 308

city boy gone country

I picked up a box of Barnes ttsx bullets today in 308@150 gr.
Barnes website list very little load data for free however if you join their copper club for 50 bucks a year I can get more data and I aint spending that.
The powders I have are Varget, and Accurate 2460 but their websites do not list the particular type of bullet I got but other makes of 150 gr bullets.
I should be able to use the starting load data for any 150gr bullet right?
Thanks in advance for y'alls help.

chuckdog

If you're loading Barnes bullets my advice is to get the latest Barnes manual.

Barnes bullets build pressure and behave differently than standard jacketed bullets.

Flaustin1

Take the 150s back and get the 110s. Barnes perform better when pushed to high velocities. Im sure some will argue, but from my experience, using light for caliber barnes bullets yields better performance.

SakoL61R

I've gotten fast responses about Barnes load data from Ty Herring in the past. Shoot your questions to him @
TyH@barnesbullets.com

If he doesn't respond, try
email@barnesbullets.com

FWIW, I'm shooting 130 TTSX's over CFE 223 in my Remmy .308 LTR. MV is 3050 fps over the Oehler and 100% pleased with the accuracy/terminals on 7 deer so far.

I've used Varget in the same rifle with 168 TTSX's.

Have no experience with 2460 and .308 loads

Hodgdon's site might be of use.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

308fan

Take the 150s back and get the 110s. Barnes perform better when pushed to high velocities. Im sure some will argue, but from my experience, using light for caliber barnes bullets yields better performance.

i agree, higher speeds and hit bone (shoulder) to help initiate expansion...

ive killed 7 deer with the 130 TTSX in 308 win launched at 3000FPS

although I havent had a problem, i got more reliable expansion/ larger exits on average, internal trauma, and much better blood trails (when shooting double lung) with Accubonds and will most likely switch back to the 150 or 165 Accubond

the TTSX do well with HIGH speeds and bone impacts

the 308win just doesnt generate those speeds with its case capacity unless you use the 110TTSX but its Ballisitic coefficient is horrible... I have no doubt it would work well though

city boy gone country

Thanks for the info guys, heres a little info on my equipment.
Ill be shooting .308 from a Savage 16/116 weather warrior bolt action 1:10 twist and 22" barrel length topped with a Nikon scope.
I picked this rifle up earlier this year and have been extremely happy with it.It has both the accutrigger and accustock. I chose this rifle after reading an article from a magazine that I found in a bin at the local recycling center.
It shoots 1" groups at 100yds with the cheap Federal 150gr soft points that I picked up at wally world and have made at least one sub 1" group when I really concentrated on my shooting form and have taken 3 deer so far this season.I have shot 180gr ,175gr and 165gr bullets thru this rifle but the 150gr gave the best groups.
I picked up these bullets on a whim yesterday at the BPS in Savannah and they were the only 30 cal bullets on the shelf and since a lot of people on the forum seem to like them I thought I would give them a try. I have only assembled @100 rnds since I started reloading and have only used the data from my Lyman reloaders manual and data from the powder manufacturers for the exact type make and weight of bullets that I put together so far.
The Hogdon site does list reloading data for a 150gr Nos bt and 150gr Nos e tip using Varget powder.http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
The accurate powders site has data for a 150gr Barnes MRX bt and Barnes website states that data for the TTSX is the same as the TSX and MRX so there is really no issue with using the 2460.
I have an unopened can of Varget in the shop and about a 1/2 can of Accurate 2460.
My question is could I use load data from any of the two 150gr cartridges listed for the Varget powder? I have been wanting to use it since a lot of people have raved about its use in the LR 308 platform(which loves 165&168gr bullets) that I also have.

bevills1

although I havent had a problem, i got more reliable expansion/ larger exits on average, internal trauma, and much better blood trails (when shooting double lung) with Accubonds and will most likely switch back to the 150 or 165 Accubond

the TTSX do well with HIGH speeds and bone impacts

the 308win just doesnt generate those speeds with its case capacity unless you use the 110TTSX but its Ballisitic coefficient is horrible... I have no doubt it would work well though
Very good point about a good blood trail. A couple of seasons ago I took my best buck to date, and there was no blood trail from where he was shot to where he was found. Fortunately that was only 30 yards, and I saw him fall. However, I once shot a lesser deer that I never found due to no blood trail, and it's not worth it to me to risk losing another deer by using bullets that don't leave good blood trails.