Long range shooters, couple of optics questions

DYI hunting

Is aluminum picatinny bases okay or should I only use steel? The aluminum bases are so much cheaper.

Will a standard 3-9x40mm 1 inch scope work with 20 MOA bases or is there not enough adjustment to get it zeroed? I am thinking of putting a basic scope on it till tax time then upgrading to a nicer long range scope.

I know these are not really long range good scopes, but the budget it tight. I am spoiled since I used to have a 6500 and Mark 4 and I doubt anything will stand up to the Mark 4 I had to part with. But out of the lower priced options, which is best or do you have any suggestions?

-Nikon Prostaff Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Mil-Dot Reticle Matte $164.99

-Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte $199.99

-Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 5-15x 40mm Adjustable Objective Mil-Dot Reticle Matte $389.99

jmoser

What caliber are you shooting? I have cheapo Weaver 2 PC bases on my 700 Tactical .308 and it shoots sub-MOA just fine. A 1 pc steel base is best for benchrest type work but if you don't have the $$ don't sweat it, can always upgrade later.

In most cases aluminum bases are fine - just make sure your rings have square cross bolts [Standard Weaver brand rings are also great] and push the ring FORWARD against the cross slot before clamping in place. This ensure the recoil transmits directly to the cross bolt. [A round cross bolt can 'peen' aluminum bases.]

HINT: 'Bed' the base to the receiver with JB Weld or similar quality metal filled epoxy. Just a little bit, use masking tape and wipe off the excess before it cures. Snug the base screws down until cured, then remove and retighten with Loctite.
[Check out www.kenfarrell.com

20 MOA is a lot; if you are only shooting at 600-1000 yards it may be good but don't forget you can run out of adjustment the other way as well if you want to practice on a 100-200 yard range also. Biggest issue is if the vertical adjustment is maxed out you don't have any windage adjustment left - helps to keep vertical adjustment near center using a 'MOA' base or ring shims.

Last edited:

1ncamo

I picked up this scope for my 6.5 grendel build after reading some reviews on snipershide and other sites. Very inexpensive and good for the price:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=119010

The Bushnell fixed 10 power with mil/mil adjustments wouldnt be a bad choice either if you are ok ith a fixed power scope. As for bases, I think that EGW makes decent bases for a good price that will do the job until you decide to drop some more cash.

cmshoot

Aluminum will work if they are made well. I highly recommend Seekins Precision for rings and bases, for folks on a budget that don't mind using aluminum. Glen Seekins makes some top drawer stuff for not a lot of dough.

I recommend going with a 20MOA base. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Depending on what scope you end up with, you may run out of adjustments when reaching out around 1k, especially in cooler weather when the air is denser and bullet drag is greater.

In the top end of your price range I recommend the Super Sniper scopes from SWFA.com. I've yet to see one fail, purty dang tough, and plenty of adjustment. They are fixed power (10x, 16x, or 20x), which cost less to build than a variable. If you're looking at doing distance shooting with it, you will usually be operating at the top end of your adjustment range anyways.

I recommend the Bushnell Elite 6400 to folks in that price range ($650 or so), but don't like the 3200 line near as much. Seen a bit of problems out of that line that the 6400 doesn't seem to have, although I recommend the Vortex Viper or Sightron SIII over even the 6400 in the same price range.

DYI hunting

It is going to be impossible on my budget to top my old long range rig which started with a 6400 in 4.5-30x-50mm and ended with an illuminated Leupold Mark 4. I saw a good difference in the quality of the glass between the 6500 and the Mark 4 and could kick myself for getting rid of the Mark 4. Then had to part with the FN PBR. The budget can't handle anything that nice anymore. Never got to shoot past 500 yards, but it was a sweet shooter.

rifle.jpg

deerrifle.jpg