Looking for a job in degree field

hunter922jr

Hey everyone, I just graduated this past spring from KSU with a bachelors in biology with the focus of environmental science, and I am very well oriented with anything outdoors or biology related. I don’t have a whole lot of job experience in the field, however, I’m looking for a good stable job in my field. Within 45 minutes of Dallas Ga would be preferred. If anyone has any suggestions or leads please let me know or even PM me.
Any help is amazing and it would be greatly appreciated!

Big7

The Oracle
Contact the GDNR Headquarters in Social Circle and see what they have to offer. I live pretty close to there and talked to biologists in the office several times but can't remember any names.

Whoever answers the phone there will be very helpful in getting you through to the right person.

They have offices all over Georgia and I'd almost bet they have something within that 45 minute commute you need.

DNR is a great place to work according to everyone I've ever talked to from the Receptionists, Biologists and Rangers.

If I were your age and had the degree you have, I'd hit DNR up hard. GOOD LUCK.

hunter922jr

Contact the GDNR Headquarters in Social Circle and see what they have to offer. I live pretty close to there and talked to biologists in the office several times but can't remember any names.

Whoever answers the phone there will be very helpful in getting you through to the right person.

They have offices all over Georgia and I'd almost bet they have something within that 45 minute commute you need.

DNR is a great place to work according to everyone I've ever talked to from the Receptionists, Biologists and Rangers.

If I were your age and had the degree you have, I'd hit DNR up hard. GOOD LUCK.
Thank you, I will for sure do that!

menhadenman

Check out some private firms. They’re starving for young biologists. Texas A&M used to have a great jobs board for outdoors work too. Shoot me a message if you’d like, I spent a lot of time in and around that industry.

menhadenman

Generally speaking:

County jobs = low pay, higher job satisfaction

State jobs = low to mediocre pay, increasing bureaucratic nonsense

Fed jobs = mediocre to better pay, job security, extreme levels of bureaucracy and good slug of incompetent coworkers

Private jobs = highest pay, lots of hours and travel, run into greed more often.

Good luck buddy and good on ya for reaching out.

earlthegoat2

If you are willing to travel, there are tons of game ranches in TX looking for folks with your education.

Low pay but high job satisfaction from what I have heard.

ucfireman

Zoo Atlanta, Ga Aquarium. ?
May even consider a geology field or similar. Mining will be around and all kinds of environmental studies have to be done and reclaiming old mines (Kentucky coal mines)
What ever, think about the benefits too. Health insurance and 401K or pension.
Also if you can start early it will pay off with a ROTH IRA.

Its not all about the money, you got to enjoy what you do.
Good luck in your search.

GT90

No to the low pay..
Don't dismiss a better company (read opportunity) over more money. Nothing wrong with taking a lower paying job in a quality company that promotes from within. If you are good enough you will be noticed and promoted when opportunities come along. The promotions will bring the increases on pay. Also think about job duties. If you have multiple offers, where will you learn the most? That knowledge can be used to strengthen the resume if you end up not happy where you are. Which company (not just salary) should be a very important part of your decision.

Hunter922

Don't dismiss a better company (read opportunity) over more money. Nothing wrong with taking a lower paying job in a quality company that promotes from within. If you are good enough you will be noticed and promoted when opportunities come along. The promotions will bring the increases on pay. Also think about job duties. If you have multiple offers, where will you learn the most? That knowledge can be used to strengthen the resume if you end up not happy where you are. Which company (not just salary) should be a very important part of your decision.
Realize that. I've been at the same company for 30 years With this same thought process. But, no sense in him taking a pay cut right out of the gate. He is working now doing something he loves.. He'll get the right opportunity..

slow motion

My oldest has the same degree. He was on track for Med School but started working in a lab doing research at Emory while attending Ga. State. Found he truly liked it. Personally don't think it pays what its worth but apparently hes good at it and loves the work. He's now in Phoenix and is running a lab there. Good luck with your search.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
@hunter922jr, I'm in the field you're interested in. There are a lot of jobs for young folks in your area of study, unfortunately, most will require travel, sometimes extensive. Why not use this as an opportunity to see/live in part of the country you've not been to? Way easier to do it now than when you've started a family.

There may be some local firms looking....Very good firm in Woodstock GA called CorBlu Ecology. They do tons of work for the utility sector.

National firms, look at Wood, Geosyntec, TRC, Burns & McDonnell, WSP.

is a good source.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I can put you in touch with one of our biologists and you can ask them all the questions you want.

huntfish

@hunter922jr, I'm in the field you're interested in. There are a lot of jobs for young folks in your area of study, unfortunately, most will require travel, sometimes extensive. Why not use this as an opportunity to see/live in part of the country you've not been to? Way easier to do it now than when you've started a family.

There may be some local firms looking....Very good firm in Woodstock GA called CorBlu Ecology. They do tons of work for the utility sector.

National firms, look at Wood, Geosyntec, TRC, Burns & McDonnell, WSP.

is a good source.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I can put you in touch with one of our biologists and you can ask them all the questions you want.
As dwhee87 stated, I'm also in the same field and ditto his response. There can be lots of travel but there are some benefits to that especially for young professionals just starting out.

Use Environmental and Environmental Remediation in your search bar. I saw quite a few entry jobs posted for the Atlanta area on Indeed.

huntfish

As dwhee87 stated, I'm also in the same field and ditto his response. There can be lots of travel but there are some benefits to that especially for young professionals just starting out.

Use Environmental and Environmental Remediation in your search bar. I saw quite a few entry jobs posted for the Atlanta area on Indeed.
Some other local companies to look at. Don't get so focused on your Biology degree though. I've got both ** and MS in Biology and have been in the Environmental Consulting/Remediation arena for the last 30 years.

Kemron Environmental Services
Geosyntech Consultants
Stantec