Looking for ideas.

1gr8bldr

My son is a very popular Youtuber with the young generation. I'm thinking ahead to his content, his future. Currently his content is aimed at the younger generation. But eventually he will age out and need to evolve to more a mature content. He's 19 now and currently not going to college after his graduation. LOL, he can't afford to go now, he's making to much money from youtube. However, this year he intends to target a fishing audience more so than the past. Youtube views are interesting. He purposely did not go buy a $40,000 bass boat because that's unrelateable to the average viewer. He plans to intentionally tone down his content. His boat his an introductory type jon boat. Highest view counts come from the simplest things. But ... he plans to scatter bigger adventures throughout his content, painted with the extra excitement that average people would have when getting to do something different. So, I'm looking for ideas, fishing trips, that he could take, guides that would want to take advantage of his high exposure. His videos by default always get 100,000 views at minimum in the first day. This is valuable advertisement, and painted correctly, will result in growth for my son and the guide that we work out plans with. He's at 700,000+ subscribers now hoping to hit a million by fall. So the question... types of fishing, guides that may be interested, etc. He's extremely busy, so it's best to be planned out months ahead of time. He travels alot and has many appearance obligations that fill his calendar, however, since he's doing this full time with a full time editor, he can likely work something in. Recommendations appreciated

LittleDrummerBoy

Hey, my fishing channel might get 200k views this year, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

YouTube has powerful analytics features that can break down the demographics of viewers. For example, I know that most of my viewers (91%) are makes, and that my largest audience is in the 25-35 year old age bracket. My "How to ..." videos are the most popular, and (surprisingly) my "How to clean" fish videos are more popular than my "How to catch" fish videos. My "How to catch" videos get more views on Thu and Fri when folks are planning fishing trips, and my "How to clean" videos get more views on Sun and Mon when folks have fish to clean. I can also break everything down by geographical location.

With the analytics, it is easy for me to see what is working (and what isn't) and who is viewing (and who isn't). So my advice would be for an aspiring YouTuber to spend some quality time understanding the viewership demographics and data.

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

Hey, my fishing channel might get 200k views this year, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

YouTube has powerful analytics features that can break down the demographics of viewers. For example, I know that most of my viewers (91%) are makes, and that my largest audience is in the 25-35 year old age bracket. My "How to ..." videos are the most popular, and (surprisingly) my "How to clean" fish videos are more popular than my "How to catch" fish videos. My "How to catch" videos get more views on Thu and Fri when folks are planning fishing trips, and my "How to clean" videos get more views on Sun and Mon when folks have fish to clean. I can also break everything down by geographical location.

With the analytics, it is easy for me to see what is working (and what isn't) and who is viewing (and who isn't). So my advice would be for an aspiring YouTuber to spend some quality time understanding the viewship demographics and data.
LOL, the analytics are soooo interesting. I study them. I assume due this his success, that we have figured them out fairly well. However, each youtuber is carving his own highway, because there are not many who can advise, and no school for it.

1gr8bldr

With the analytics, it is easy for me to see what is working (and what isn't) and who is viewing (and who isn't). So my advice would be for an aspiring YouTuber to spend some quality time understanding the viewership demographics and data.
It's interesting how what you think might make money... and what actually does. For instance, if he were to go buy a $40,000 bassboat. He would get few views. But a starter boat, fishing on a smaller scale, realistic to a more common audience, that will get 20x's the views. Unknown, to his audience, purposely planned this way, he can make premium trophy catfish videos. But we have been saving that, for after he ages out of his current audience.

transfixer

For one of those " special " outings kind of fishing, he might check with Rivers Edge Outfitters, they have shops in Spruce Pine, NC and in Cherokee, NC, they do some guided outings as well as various other services, I booked a day trip for my wife and myself fishing one of their private water streams close to Spruce Pine, they provided everything, we just showed up, we both had fished here in Ga in the put and take streams, but it was nothing like fishing where there were an abundance of 18-20 inch plus rainbows, not something I'd want to do often, but it was an experience neither of us will ever forget. Good group of guys we dealt with also.

1gr8bldr

For one of those " special " outings kind of fishing, he might check with Rivers Edge Outfitters, they have shops in Spruce Pine, NC and in Cherokee, NC, they do some guided outings as well as various other services, I booked a day trip for my wife and myself fishing one of their private water streams close to Spruce Pine, they provided everything, we just showed up, we both had fished here in Ga in the put and take streams, but it was nothing like fishing where there were an abundance of 18-20 inch plus rainbows, not something I'd want to do often, but it was an experience neither of us will ever forget. Good group of guys we dealt with also.
Hey thanks, I don't know why trout had not crossed my mind.

Doog

Do an inshore trip either to the Atlantic coast or the gulf. Bass skills translate fairly easy to speckled trout, redfish, flounder, etc. "Sell" it to older folks as something they can do, or their kids can do while on vacation at the beach.

crackerdave

Do an inshore trip either to the Atlantic coast or the gulf. Bass skills translate fairly easy to speckled trout, redfish, flounder, etc. "Sell" it to older folks as something they can do, or their kids can do while on vacation at the beach.
Good advice!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Go anywhere along The Forgotten Coast for trout, reds, flounder, tripletail, sheephead, and pompano.

doomtrpr_z71

You could do a full season of intercoastal fishing just since the Atlantic and the gulf would be so different. Get an old trihull and do videos fixing it up and comparing it to a newer boat. Personally, as someone who's younger, I'm going to guess his viewership isn't going to care as much about some of the fishing trips anyway. It'd be worth a trip to do videos in South Florida with all the varieties of fish available. Maybe even do some kayaking videos in flamingo or Everglades city. My advice is if he has that much viewership, to start a patreon to help pay for projects, it'd be hard to expect the YouTube train to keep the dough rolling in.

snapdog

Can I just send him money for doing what we all want to do?

1gr8bldr

What is the name of the channel? I will check it out.
I'll PM you .. because I want to be clear this is not an advertisement for his channel

1gr8bldr

You could do a full season of intercoastal fishing just since the Atlantic and the gulf would be so different. Get an old trihull and do videos fixing it up and comparing it to a newer boat. Personally, as someone who's younger, I'm going to guess his viewership isn't going to care as much about some of the fishing trips anyway. It'd be worth a trip to do videos in South Florida with all the varieties of fish available. Maybe even do some kayaking videos in flamingo or Everglades city. My advice is if he has that much viewership, to start a patreon to help pay for projects, it'd be hard to expect the YouTube train to keep the dough rolling in.
Your right about the fishing viewership. Fishing gets the lowest views of all. The sport is flooded on Youtube. However, he enjoys fishing.... and his future will likely be sponsorship's like Bass Pro. He just finished his jon boat build but that video has not been edited yet.

Big7

The Oracle
I'll PM you .. because I want to be clear this is not an advertisement for his channel
PM it to me as well. I'd like to check it out.
Thanks !!!

crackerdave

My son is a very popular Youtuber with the young generation. I'm thinking ahead to his content, his future. Currently his content is aimed at the younger generation. But eventually he will age out and need to evolve to more a mature content. He's 19 now and currently not going to college after his graduation. LOL, he can't afford to go now, he's making to much money from youtube. However, this year he intends to target a fishing audience more so than the past. Youtube views are interesting. He purposely did not go buy a $40,000 bass boat because that's unrelateable to the average viewer. He plans to intentionally tone down his content. His boat his an introductory type jon boat. Highest view counts come from the simplest things. But ... he plans to scatter bigger adventures throughout his content, painted with the extra excitement that average people would have when getting to do something different. So, I'm looking for ideas, fishing trips, that he could take, guides that would want to take advantage of his high exposure. His videos by default always get 100,000 views at minimum in the first day. This is valuable advertisement, and painted correctly, will result in growth for my son and the guide that we work out plans with. He's at 700,000+ subscribers now hoping to hit a million by fall. So the question... types of fishing, guides that may be interested, etc. He's extremely busy, so it's best to be planned out months ahead of time. He travels alot and has many appearance obligations that fill his calendar, however, since he's doing this full time with a full time editor, he can likely work something in. Recommendations appreciated

I would suggest filming a family camping weekend,with trotlines,jugs,and brim fishing and a low country boil like the one we are planning for the weekend of March 21st.
There will be live music,also.
See the thread in the Freshwater Fishing forum for more info.

Whats his channel ? I'll subscribe. Im 41 but can get behind an enterprising kid. Like to see his stuff and content.