Loving a Boxer

Cindi

I've only been the proud owner of a Boxer for about 4 months. I've always avoided owning breed dogs as over time I had heard that pure-bred dogs usually have specific health issues, which translates into cost for the owner, and honestly any time I ever saw a Boxer in public, I thought Pit Bull.

Two things happened to change my opinion: I visited my sister, who does Boxer rescues, and met dog after dog who were sweet and even-tempered and loving, and the lady I work with had a Boxer about 6 years old that her son had stuck her with, and that she was looking for a home for.

So, one thing led to another and I brought home a 65-pound female named “Petal” who had a gunslinger's gaze and a head the size of a half-grown pumpkin. She was as skittish as a 3 month-old colt and about as heavy. The first thing she did upon arrival at her new home, was loom over Frog, our Heinz 57 brindle mutt, threateningly, and establish her dominance, which he is used to as he wouldn't say boo to a goose on a good day. The first thing WE did was change her name to Phoebe, as Petal was the least petal-like creature that I had ever met.

I'd been told that Phoebe was missing a few teeth, and when I found the courage to stick my fingers in her mouth, I found that she had only one lower canine tooth and a good set of chompers in the back, so I immediately switched her from wet food to dry, which is what Frog gets. Phoebe had been living in a back yard, exclusively, and according to the previous owner's mother, had long stretches where she wasn't fed, or given water, and never had any attention. It took her a good while to relax ... for the first two weeks she stood patiently by the back door, waiting to be let out as she could not quite grasp the fact that she now lived indoors, even though I rushed out and bought her a thick smushy bed, and red bowl to go in the kitchen floor next to Frog's.

She had been in major scraps with other dogs, which left her with assorted scars around her face and a bad attitude toward other canines her size. Someone cropped her ears when she was a pup and I sincerely doubt they knew what they were doing as they are too short and still sensitive 5 plus years later. She has deplorable manners. She steps on our bare feet with her 4-pronged hooves, and waits until we sit down to eat and then crawls under the table and unleashes the most horrific streams of noxious flatulence known to mankind, and then has the audacity to look offended when we chase her out of the room.

She drools, and she slobbers, and might carry around bits of kibble in the folds of her maw for days before dropping these soggy, unrecognizable blobs of dark brown gop unceremoniously in the middle of Pet-Smart, or our laps. She snorts and she snores worse than my ex-husband, which is saying a lot. When she's feeling particularly affectionate she will put her face as near ours as possible and then in a move reminiscent of a manatee exhaling upon surfacing for air, jettison dog spit directly into our eyes or mouth, prompting us to welcome her as though we're preparing for a spray tan—with eyes and mouths tightly shut.

Because of her appearance, she effectively clears sidewalks and aisles of all other forms of life. While walking her around Town Lake I get looks of pure unadulterated hatred from poodle and wiener dog walkers as they abandon paths and cut across the grass. Having never had any real attention, she doesn't know how to accept same gracefully, and even people who are brave enough to approach her are instantly punished by being encased in goo that looks like it came from an alien seed pod.

I was sitting in Pet-Smart one afternoon near the doggy hotel that Phoebe and I had already been banished from with dirty looks from the attendant, contemplating automatic waterers, when a little girl about 6 years old and an older woman came around the corner of the aisle, headed our way.

Oh, here we go, I thought, and waited for them to notice Phoebe and turn around and go back to whence they had come. I could have moved, but hasten to admit that I am danged tired of doing that, so I sat there, a Phoebe-sized chip on my shoulder, and defied anybody to take issue with me and my manatee-dog.

As the woman and child meandered our way, lost in a shopping daze, my nerves started jumping; they hadn't noticed Phoebe yet, although she had certainly noticed them. Even though she's never been exposed to any, to my knowledge, Phoebe loves children and will stare at them longingly, her nubby little tail jerking spasmodically as these same children make wide circles around her and dash to safety. Even now she was standing like a castle guard, that little tail almost a blur, while she waited for the child to come closer.

Oh, crap, I'm thinking. This could be bad. Phoebe is scary enough from a distance, and they're practically right on top of her and have no idea! My hand tightened down on Phoebe's leash and I gently began to reel her in, until she was standing between my legs, but she was still within a tongue's reach of the little girl.

Then, almost in slow motion, the little girl's head turned and her eyes went as big around as salad plates. She let out a sound that was something like, “weeeeee!” and her knees buckled and down she went. Oh, my god, she's fainted! I thought. I closed my eyes, wondering if a person could get arrested just for scaring a kid, and trying to calculate if I had enough money in my savings account for bail. I was starting to swoon myself and wondered if I would get any credit from the cops if I fainted, too.

Then I heard the unmistakable sound of a giggle and opened one eye to look down. The little girl was hanging around Phoebe's neck and Phoebe was licking her face fit to beat the band, her little tail just whirling in perfect circles.

“He looks just like Gilligan!” the little girl cried, while her grandmother gazed down at her smiling.

“We have a boxer at home,” the woman explained, and I was so overcome with gratitude I almost cried. Okay my eyes actually did mist up a tiny bit. It's amazing how powerful acceptance of someone you love can be, when you're accustomed to being shunned. “They're the best dogs in the world, aren't they?” she asked.

“Well! Yes! They! Are!” I replied a little too loudly, and sat forward watching the little girl and Phoebe writhe around on the floor together, as there is no love quite as expressive as Boxer love, even though it might be somewhat painful and/or disgusting at times, but the little girl was as at home with Phoebe as a goat on a mountain top.

The doggy hotel attendant was watching and I made sure my next words were loud enough for her to hear ...

“They're the BEST DOGS IN THE WORLD, AND IT'S NICE TO MEET SOMEONE ELSE WHO KNOWS THAT, EVEN IF THEY DON'T WORK WITH DOGS FOR ... A LIVING!”

That shamed her good and proper, as she went as red as Snow White's deadly apple and then turned her head, her nose in the air.

I know it sounds stupid, but it was like a hundred-pound weight had been lifted off my shoulders, as I am a very social person and after 4 months of being treated like a leper it was starting to wear on my bubbly personality.

So I did what any normal thinking person would do when they have developed an unbudging love for a creature that takes some experience to get to know. I went on line and joined a Boxer meet up group, where there are actual crowds of people who have that experience, and the same unbudging love for the often unlovable breed of dog, known as the Boxer.:biggrin2:

RGRJN

Gotta love a Boxer !!You have no choice as far they are concerned.

Attachments

• izzyandfrog.jpg
    izzyandfrog.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 361
  • izzy007.jpg
    izzy007.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 360

hoochfisher

Banned
i often have the same acceptance with my dog. he's a pit bull. hopefully after experiancing this reception with your dog you will give a pit bull a chance someday. you will will be suprised at what big babies they are.

i take my oldest male with me to petsmart all the time. his name is villian. i know his name makes him sound like an attack dog, but have you ever seen a 85# lap dog/clown? that's why he is named that way, hear his name and think oh crap! play with him and find out how loving and apprecitive of it he is! he is the most well behaved dog i have ever owned. when someone actually approaches him, he is trained to sit without me telling him to do so. he will sit untill me or the person talking to him says to stand. then he will move closer to them and wait to be loved on. when asked if he bites, i say nope, but i hope you can swim because your about to drown in slober!

everyone allways says how vicious pits are, well mine is no differant. he is so vicious, he is absolutly terrified of my wife's wiener dog. so much so that he looses blatter control and hides from her. real vicious huh?

a dog is just a dog. it takes an owner to develop them into what they are. be it a killer or kisser!

it happens few and far between, but isnt it a absolute joy to find somebody once in a while that interacts with a dog before just judging them on thier breed/apperance?

Cindi

Yay! A kindred spirit. Beautiful dogs, RG. I definitely WILL have a Boxer pup next time around.

Hooch, I have met many friendly pit bulls. My only concern with that breed is the pack menatility they resort to when they are running loose. Most all attacks on humans are by mulitple dogs. I think some kind of switch is flipped when they are in a group and running free. I have however, known of Rottweilers that attack their own humans, especially kids, for no apparent reason. I had a neighbor who had to have her four year old daughter's face stitched back together after such an attack. I also had a freind's who's older male Lab did the same thing to a grandchild.

hoochfisher

Banned
yep, they do have that mentality when running loose. but to me, that goes back to the owner makes the animal thing....

some person is letting them run loose like that. and for the absolute strays, at some point some person left one on the street to run amuck and have more stray puppies to do the same.

a nieghbor up the road has a rotti thats the way you describe, only sane half the time. even with him.

my nieghbor right next to me has two boxers, georgia(the mom) and the one pup he kept from her only litter before spaying, tank. and he is exactly that, a tank! he is only 8 months old but three times the size of his momma. and he will run over anything that gets in his way! he isnt dangerous at all, just hyper as all get out. when he wants something, dont get in his way, because he will get to it. be it around, under or over you, he getting it!

once a week, his two boxers and my two pits are allowed to run around the back yard(fenced in) and play together untill they drop. its just like a bunch of kids playing back there. we let them have at it chasing each other wrestling. but everyonce in a while one will get its feeling hurt and growl at another and we will say its name and they all stop dead in thier tracks untill we tell them to go play.

GoldDot40

Boxers are indeed a fine breed. My B-N-L has had couple of them. They are GREAT with kids. They come off as a bit hyper at times, but they're fun. I almost got one last year, but the wife shot down the idea of having another dog inside....even though it would have been temporary until the dog was big enough to protect itself outdoors.

M

MsFit

That was an awesome story Cindy! I've never owned a Boxer, but I haven't met one that I didn't just fall in love with. They are beautiful dogs.

Cindi

Thanks Lady! I don't think I have any interest in ever having another dog that is not a Boxer. With all the bad background this girl has, her only true mission in life seems to be to please me. She goes to bed next to my bed when I do, she gets up when I do and she lies by me no matter what room I'm in. She made a believer out of me.

Bass, maybe one day. Keep the faith.

Skakey, thank you. It was a knee jerk decision, and I usually end up regretting those, but this has turned out way better than my expectations. She was unsuccessfully bred 3 times and lost 3 litters of pups before I got her. She was actually still lactating from the last attempt. One of the first things I did was have her spayed, which meant she had to be knocked out. I thought I was gonna lose my mind. I had just gotten her and couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to her. She had such a rough life that I was totally invested in just loving her and treating her well. Now I can. (grin)

mikelogg

Wow.A great story Cindi.You know,the love you have for something(person or pet)that no one else seems to love is a powerful and very personal emotion.

Cindi

Thank you, Mike. I think I was meant to have her. It's a little scary how attached I am to her, and she has a way of seeming to know what I'm thinking. I have another story about how she reacted to a panhandler. I'll post it on another day.

Crickett

Little Lady
That is an awesome story Cindi. I love Boxers. When I lived w/ my best friend she had a brindle boxer named Jake & he was the sweetest puppy. We have a lab & my husband wants another one. I would love to have a boxer one day too. Just not sure about having 3 large dogs in the house. You gotta posts some pics up of Phoebe. Did you go to PetsMart in Woodstock? That's where we take Max from time to time & even w/ him being a lab some people react like they are scared of him b/c of his size. He weighs 101lbs & has a really loud bark. He seems intimedating but he's really just a big baby.

Bill Mc

Cindi, I so glad you have decided to come over here and tell us your stories.

And folks, she has bunches of them and all interesting.

shakey hunter

I have on that I got I got off "Boxwertown.com" when he was 4 yrs. old he did the same thing at Petsmart. A little boy grabed him around his neck and just hung off the ground Oscar looked back at me and had that look "can you get this kid off me please". That was just before I found out that he only lets a male dog sniff him twice after that he thinks they want a date. I come dowm with tremors about three yrs ago just prior to my starting shaking all the time Oscar would leave my side day or night. I love him to death just till he starts "talking" its a hoot. I can go months with out a shaking spell I know they are coming Oscar is all up on me. They are a fun breed.

Cindi

Crickett, I have one photo on my profile, but here's another. No, I'm not from Georgia, I came here by invitation of Mr. Bill who posted just below you. He thought I would get a kick out of Moebirds posts, which I have. I am in Austin, Texas. My dad was from Georgia and I've been there ... is that enough to make me an honorary member?:D

pheebes-293x320.jpg

And thanks Bill, this is a great place and I think I will like it here, thank you so much for inviting me.

Shakey, are you saying that Oscar knows when you are going to have a spell? That wouldn't surprise me one bit. Phoebe is practically psychic. If I get mad or upset I don't care where she is in the house I will look up and there she is, right beside me.

Somebody must have fed her something she's not supposed to have as she's laying here on the floor and I can hear her stomach making all kinds of noises. I better turn my fan on high tonight as I think she's probably going to turn the air in my room green by the time what's behind those noises makes it to the outside.:O

georgia357

Welcome Cindi, awesome story. Your dog looks just like one my daughter had. Friendliest dog I've seen in a long time but had looks like she would tear somebody apart. I look forward to reading more of your stories which Bill is talking about.

Cindi

Thanks Sweet and Cook ... great photo! My next Boxer won't have cropped ears unless it's a rescue and comes that way. They're a lot less intimidating with floppy ears.