man, its hot...let's talk cold.

Taylor Co.

COLEMAN WMA...I MEANT "COLDMAN WMA"

Twas A Bonus Hunt In Jan. When We Arrived On Wed. To Set Up Camp(a Pop-up Camper) And Funeral Tent For A Cook Tent. It Was 36 Degrees And Drizzling, The Next Morning It Was 12 Degrees It Never Got Over That For The Rest Of The Trip. It Stayed About 2 Deg. From Thurs. To Sun. It Was Miserable...even In The Camper A Kerosene Stove And Both Eyes On The Stove Running.

Cranium

Late 60's in WVa -18 w/o the wind chill, so cold that anything that moved sounded like a 200lb critter crashing through...even the broomsage was frozen solid

Trigabby

Late January in Prattville, Al. 1984. Temperature was -9!

That and I think I hunted in negative temps in '97 in Twiggs county... I definately remember that day, that's when I watched a doe take a leak.. about 5 feet from my four wheeler as I was walking back.. No, I didn't shoot her.. I was too.. Astounded... LOL.

bigolebuck

In 1989 I was hunting for elk in -32 degrees celsius or
-26 F with a BIG wind.Had 3 bulls come out on me.Shot the biggest.A nice 5x6

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Coldest time was duck hunting off the Potomac River in VA. Temp about 5-10 degrees, wind about 35 mph with gust upto 45. Water turned to ice soon as it touch something, guns, waders, boat, whatever. One of those days where the waders had and inch or two of ice on them and could stand by themselves.

MCBUCK

bigolebuck said:
In 1989 I was hunting for elk in -32 degrees celsius or
-26 F with a BIG wind.Had 3 bulls come out on me.Shot the biggest.A nice 5x6
-32 is cold...I experienced that while stationed in Europe, but remember....your humidity is much lower there than in the south, so -9 in Prattville Al. or -9 on Cohutta will feel a good deal like -20 in Manitoba/BC or Alberta...I only know this because a buddy I had in Europe was from Whitefish Mt. and informed me on the virtues of low humidity :cheers:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Geeze, I'm thinking and I'll have to say about 14 degrees back in 94 in Taylor C. if I remember right. Very clear day in December. It was down right cold. At least for my southern butt!! I stepped through a creek on my way in. It didn't get through my boots, but after a few hours in the stand, the water froze over on my boots.

The coldest temperature I've ever been in was last Christmas up in Illinois. I wasn't hunting, but it snowed over 16" where I was at, and one morning the low was a legit -6 degrees. I went outside for 15 minutes and the snot started to freeze in my nose. I thought about what it would be like to hunt in that. I'd have to go spend a lot of money to be comfortable in that kind of weather. The wind wasn't even blowing!!

Tommy

vermontah

:cool: When its too cold to hunt in Vermont you have two choices. Ice fishing or snowmachine riding. :cheers: The first you push a bob house out onto lake champlain and anchor it real good or the wind will blow it ,with you inside all the way to Fort Ticondaroga. then you use a power auger to cut through the two feet or so of ice in a dozen places to set your lines then you retreat to the bob house and its heater and wait for a flag to pop up. :pop: -40 is good don't make no dif if its -40 C or -40F it keeps the ice safe even for your truck. ;) The second you dress real REAL REAL good and get on a sled that will do 100mph right out of the box and ride on groomed trails with a bunch of friends at 60 to 70 mph with it 20 to 40 below. :crazy: The sleds are tuned to really crackel when its cold but if you leave your collar tab unsnapped you can frost bite that patch of skin on your throat in less than a mile. What I really hate is a cold or freezing rain that soaks you then turns to wind that chills you to the bone in minutes. That can be life threatening if your more than a few hundred yards from camp or truck. :mad: