Mangrove Snapper

Hoss78

Does anyone know the size limits for mangrove/gray snapper in ga? I have looked everywhere I know and can’t find anything.

lampern

Can't find any bag or size limits for state waters (0-3 miles out)

But outside of Ga (in federal waters) the limit is 10 with a minimum size limit of 12 inches

The way I see it, if its not in the "saltwater" fish bag and size limits table in the regulations digest, you can keep it at any size.

If a fish has a recreational bag or size limit or no harvest in saltwater state waters it should be listed in that table.

Last edited:

Cumberlandjg

10 is a good minimum to practice, anything smaller and really not much point to keep because the filets are so small. No regulations in Georgia though I am aware of. It seems they usually come in good about every 2-3 years.

Chap

Currently no bag limits on mangrove snapper. Only been in the last few years that mangroves have moved up this far north in larger numbers that you are starting to see some substantial catches of them. In past you could get one as an occasional by-catch, but they have only recently become more prolific. So the state hasn't caught up yet. Give them a few years and you'll need a note from your mother to catch one.

Hoss78

Thanks guys. I found some this weekend while trying to catch some sheeps but didn’t keep any because I couldn’t find anything on them. Really surprised the state hasn’t picked up on them yet because they are excellent table fare.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
They are good eating. We catch a few each year in Gulf shores.