Me and The Kid set five at The Goat Pen...First Night Catch!!!

Doug B.

Well said, Doug. I agree 100%.

I hated coyotes until I caught my first one. From that moment, and the eye to eye personal interaction, I actually admire and respect them as a worthy enemy. I will never get them all, and I will earn the one's I do get.
That is funny that you would say that. I hated them from the moment I seen the first one in our county. That hatred grew for the next several years. Then I started trapping them. Now don't get me wrong, I still wish every one of them were in Hades with their back broke, but I do have a different respect for them. And when it come time to dispatch one I'll admit that there is a little sadness in my heart for them. Honestly, you can't really blame them. They are just trying to make a living. Well, that's what I'm trying to do most of the time. The thing that always gets me about them though is that they are invasive. They don't belong here. Does that make my way of thinking right? Probably not. But I still want to rid the world of every one I can.

I do respect them as an adversary. I am always tickled when I catch one. I am still saddened at the kill, although thankful! Confusing? It can be. Another reason to make sure it is explained to the younger generation.

buckpasser

My grandkids will be out with me next year when I can get them, they lost all their chickens last year

Yeah, that would be an exception to what I said earlier. My son has a cage trap set due to something attacking a laying hen that was locked down on a nest. If he catches a coon, it will be dealt with.

buckpasser

Well said, Doug. I agree 100%.

I hated coyotes until I caught my first one. From that moment, and the eye to eye personal interaction, I actually admire and respect them as a worthy enemy. I will never get them all, and I will earn the one's I do get.

The couple square miles of my neighborhood needs fewer coyotes. They were getting a little too familiar. We have kids, pets, animals, and wildlife that need some protection.

Around here, that's me.

And I am teaching The Kid.

And Little Brother if he wants to learn.

We'll also learn things together, as we go.

There's nothing not to like.

I’m with you on the yotes. I remove them because they and I have similar interests and similar tastes in meat! That said, I really enjoy pursuing them and respect them infinitely more than I did prior to trapping.

Doug B.

I’m with you on the yotes. I remove them because they and I have similar interests and similar tastes in meat! That said, I really enjoy pursuing them and respect them infinitely more than I did prior to trapping.
Respect is healthy. Hatred is not healthy. I really did have a hatred for them. That hatred has rotated to a respect. It is hard not to respect them after studying their habits, patterns, and their ability to be inconsistent. It is definitely like a chess match!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Respect is healthy. Hatred is not healthy. I really did have a hatred for them. That hatred has rotated to a respect. It is hard not to respect them after studying their habits, patterns, and their ability to be inconsistent. It is definitely like a chess match!

It`s an understanding and admiration of another predator. When I look into a trapped animals eyes, I see myself.

It`s hard for me to put into words, and I failed miserably here, but it`s the best i can try to explain.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I admire everything about nature and also understand it’s designed to take care of itself. Human intervention in that cycle causes us to have to take some matters into our own hands. Controlling predator numbers is one. Making youngsters understand that(and a lot of adults) will be so helpful in the future of trapping as the ballot box will decide that future.
I have a three year old grandson that is showing a lot of promise as an outdoorsman