Did you reload anything today #4

Jester896

Senior Clown
I used Hunter in some .243 to try. I don't remember if they were copper or not...I still need to pull the rest. I don't have that much experience with RamShot powders. I started in the middle of the range...fired the first five and thought a couple were sticky (didn't have my glasses)...the second 5 were more than sticky...didn't fire the last 5....one more thing I need to get back to. I hear a .223 isn't good dear medicine...so my candy ask was going to try a .243.

SC Hunter

Yeah that batch of powders, LRP, and Tropicalia was high cotton in my garage last night
I had a few of those this past week while I was in Rome taking a class. I'm more of a poverty punch aka natural light drinker myself.

Liberty

I loaded my first handgun loads, 45 Auto and 38 Spl with Win 231 more than a few years ago. Last night, I was supervising my son running a turret press that I bought for him before he was old enough to use it loading 38 Spl wadcutters over 231. Hopefully when I'm gone, he will remember reloading with old dad in the red barn on that orange press. When I was pouring the powder back in the jug he said "That smells like happy." This is a fine hobby we have ourselves boys.

Liberty

I used Hunter in some .243 to try. I don't remember if they were copper or not...I still need to pull the rest. I don't have that much experience with RamShot powders. I started in the middle of the range...fired the first five and thought a couple were sticky (didn't have my glasses)...the second 5 were more than sticky...didn't fire the last 5....one more thing I need to get back to. I hear a .223 isn't good dear medicine...so my candy ask was going to try a .243.
My experience with Hunter that I remember has been with a semi-auto Remington 243 with copper and Interlocks. It shoots as good as anything else in that gun, which is not a glowing endorsement.

deerslayer357

Just ordered a Tilka T3X in 300 WM- thinking to work up a load with Sierra game kings or something similar in this rifle., any suggestions?

menhadenman

Just ordered a Tilka T3X in 300 WM- thinking to work up a load with Sierra game kings or something similar in this rifle., any suggestions?
What twist? Guys out west love the heavy for caliber match bullets. I’ve only killed one antelope with a 300 but one of my hunting partners destroys lots of critters with one.

Give the ELD-M a shot, they’ve got 168s, 195s, and 208s depending on your twist. The 195 would be an assassin.

I just drew a 13-year bull tag last Wednesday, pretty sure I’m going 180 ELDM in my 7 mag with 1:8”. It shoots the 168s great but the 180 is a missile.

deerslayer357

1:10” in the Tikka 300. My Browning is 1:8” I believe- I am sure I will try my handloaded TTSX just to see how they group- but really thinking of this rifle for more big field deer hunting and less for elk. So more looking for a “cheaper” bullet for targets and long range deer. TTSX’s at $.90 each get expensive.

The browning is already setup and ready to roll for October, unless this rifle just shoots that much better with the TTSX’s.

Last edited:

deerslayer357

I’d shoot a tough bullet if your shots are going to be within 200 yards or on cow sized game.
I am thinking deer sized game and 150-450 yard shots mostly. Have an agricultural field that has a 450 yard range setup on it- last year I shot a doe at 400 with the TTSX and got great results- but thinking mainly that spot for hunting with this rifle, along with range trips.

menhadenman

1:10” in the Tikka 300. My Browning is 1:8” I believe- I am sure I will try my handloaded TTSX just to see how they group- but really thinking of this rifle for more big field deer hunting and less for elk. So more looking for a “cheaper” bullet for targets and long range deer. TTSX’s at $.90 each get expensive.

The browning is already setup and ready to roll for October, unless this rifle just shoots that much better with the TTSX’s.

The eld-m is about half that cost. Speer is now making a tipped high BC option now also, called ‘impact’ and also around $0.40/piece. I’ve been playing with them in my 308 (172 grains) but no game shot yet with it. That 300 Win is a hammer for sure. Would make me nervous to take a shoulder shot!

Liberty

I am thinking deer sized game and 150-450 yard shots mostly. Have an agricultural field that has a 450 yard range setup on it- last year I shot a doe at 400 with the TTSX and got great results- but thinking mainly that spot for hunting with this rifle, along with range trips.
I’d definitely go copper, bonded, or Partition with that horsepower at 200 and in shooting shoulders, but at 400 a 165 Gameking should kill like lightning in the shoulder or at point blank range if you stay in the lungs. I’ve had great luck with those bullets over IMR 4350 in 30-06 as well as with IMR 4831 in 300 Win mag.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Last couple of years been building up my reloading equipment. Finally got a Hornady Comparator . Now I can be more accurate with my seating depth. Rolled some 30-06 150gn Accubond. Hope the rain hold off Saturday so I can give them a ride.
don't forget a headspace set...and then there is the rim thickness headspace gauge for .17 & .22 ;)