Beaten by a coon in five minutes!!!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Night before last, I caught a coon at The Log Set that has been so productive in the past. The whole thing was caught on camera and sent real time...

22031.jpeg22029.jpeg

My buddy went to go turn the coon loose, took him about 10-15 minutes to get there from the time the cam went off..

He arrived to fin the end of our log destroyed, the trap hooked on the end, and Ol' Coon gone!!

22040.jpeg

He sure made a mess in a short time!!

22044.jpeg

Like @Doug B. says, "Coons are a special somebody"

:bounce:

sportsman94

Coons are the reason I prefer closed Jaw traps. I’ve lost several in offset jaws that I think I would have held with closed jaws. The possum pullout last night was an offset jaw, but I don’t think that one has anything to do with the jaws. Looked like he was caught by a toe in the very corner where the jaw locks up. Despite that, I’ve acquired 4 dozen offset jaws this off season so I’ll have to learn to like them!

furtaker

I don't think there is really any advantage to offset jaw traps. They were originally designed to allow the levers to raise slightly higher to get a better lock up but with trap improvements I doubt that's an issue today. I don't see how they help with foot damage. As a matter of fact, some trappers claim that closed jaws are easier on the feet.

That said, every one of my traps are offset except for a few dog-on Bridgers that I rarely use any more.

furtaker

A quarter inch offset can turn into a 3/4 inch offset in a hurry if a stone gets caught between the jaws.

Doug B.

I don't think there is really any advantage to offset jaw traps. They were originally designed to allow the levers to raise slightly higher to get a better lock up but with trap improvements I doubt that's an issue today. I don't see how they help with foot damage. As a matter of fact, some trappers claim that closed jaws are easier on the feet.

That said, every one of my traps are offset except for a few dog-on Bridgers that I rarely use any more.
I agree. All of my coyote traps are offset and I don't have a problem with that. A coyote or even a bobcat has a big enough foot that when it commits and is caught it will not pull out with its pad inside the jaws.

But I do not set a foothold trap for coon, mink, muskrat, beaver, or otter that is offset. If I catch a beaver for some reason by the toe, it is still there in a closed jaw trap.

I somehow ended up with two MB750's that were offset. I went ahead and laminated the jaws and have caught numerous beavers with no trouble whatsoever.

furtaker

I agree. All of my coyote traps are offset and I don't have a problem with that. A coyote or even a bobcat has a big enough foot that when it commits and is caught it will not pull out with its pad inside the jaws.

But I do not set a foothold trap for coon, mink, muskrat, beaver, or otter that is offset. If I catch a beaver for some reason by the toe, it is still there in a closed jaw trap.

I somehow ended up with two MB750's that were offset. I went ahead and laminated the jaws and have caught numerous beavers with no trouble whatsoever.
Yeah, I've held several coyotes by the toes with offsets. It does make you wonder how it holds them though.