meat hunter??

labman

Banned
lmbhanger said:
The can't eat horns thing works both ways! Spikes are horns just like 10 pts. Needless to say it has been years and years since I shot a small buck. However, I usually fill four freezers with meat and donate at least 10 to hunters for the hungry.
Why shoot so many is it a numbers thing or something about how many you kill. why not donate money to that cause for food instead of killing so many deer? Just a thought.

labman

Banned
I guess its my problem cause i got him in the club said:
That is one of the worst or most selfish statements I have ever heard a hunter say! I would be thankfull if my dad was healthy enough to go hunt with me. I would care less if he shot what ever stepped out just having the great memories of hunting with your dad, spikes or 160 class bucks is an awsome experience. To make a statement like that is unbelievable in my book. I hope my sons never feel this way towards me. WOW

Perry Hayes

There are trophy clubs and there are meat clubs.And the members in each have a different agenda.I now prefer to hunt in the trophy club.I meat hunt for doe only and they are plenty of them.But to each his own.In my younger days a spike would go down.

raghorn

SADDADDY said:
what ever steps out first gets it :shoot:

I would think I am a meat hunter :huh: I will rather shoot a doe for meat and every once in a while I may shoot a small buck if I had not seen a thing all year :huh:

last year I passed up an a good number of deer and many of them where small bucks, needless to say I went home empty handed last year :banginghe
Me too, unless I'm hunting a lease with antler restrictions.

huntfish

NotaVegetarian said:
Doe's are easier to clean. But I still like Grandpa.....
HMMMM. Besides the outside reproduction area, what is the difference between a doe and buck to clean. Both seem to take about the same time. After 30+ years of cleaning deer, am I missing something? ::ke:

Bowdawg

A lot of people are complaining about having too many tags now. Meat hunters and trophy hunters alike. So lets eliminate some tags. Drop three of the doe tags and one of the buck tags. Eight deer tags----ONE BUCK TAG. No antler restrictions if you want to kill you a spike or a four pointer go ahead but thats it. You would see a lot of meat hunters become trophy hunters instantly. :banana:

lmbhanger

Banned
Labman, on my property I practice a very strict QDM regiment and after doing careful herd surveys and the DNR Biologists doing his this year alone we need to take 78 does in order to maintain the proper sex ratios. If you think that is bad when we started our QDM program many years ago myself and a few others killed 200 does in accordance with what the DNR had advised. Naturally we received special permits as to not break the law.

To answer your question specifically, I hunt in four different states on 5 different QDM lands and after a while the numbers just add up. I am within the law and donating deer to needy people is o.k. in my book. In addition to Hunters for the Hungry, we also will pay for the processing and then deliver the meat when it is ready to needy families around christmas.

If anyone has a problem with this kind of practice please let me know. I am interested to know why.

leroy

I also use to shoot anything that walked out but I have changed and only shoot something worth mounting. Me and my 10 y.o. hunted a quality managed club last year and when a small buck would walk out he just couldn't understand why he could not shoot it and really got discouraged. So this year I ran up on 200 acres that I leased myself he shoots what he wants to. i have no problem with anyone shooting small bucks if thats what they want then more power to them!

C

CARVER

I agree with DSGB, who cares about the horns, sure a big buck would be great. Let me ask a question. If you kill a 150 class buck,
do you throw away the meat?

C

CARVER

I also wanted to point out that most of us hunt on public land, you let one walk and the guy on the next ridge will get it. Most of you you look for the big one has land to hunt that you can practice QDM. And even if I had the land I would still hunt for meat first and when I filled my freezer with two or three deer (buck or doe)
then I would use the rest of the year looking for Mr. Big. If I still have a buck tag left. 12 deer limit is way to high. Who can eat 12 deer in one season?