Mechanical Broadheads

Who uses them and what brand? I have always been the Thunderhead/Wac'Em fixed blade kind of guy. Thought about venturing into the mechanical broadhead but wasn't sure what to try or what to stay away from. My dad used rage when they first came out but every deer he shot, he never had a pass through but the entry was the size of a baseball. Looks likes Swhacker, the new Rages and Grim reapers have the best reviews thus far.

Thanks for your time

deast1988

I like killzone, had good luck with grim reaper hybrid. Goin to have some rage hypodermic in quiver this fall. I had a wac em expandle break last fall the customer service was fantastic and the replaced my pack with some fixed blades.

Ive used Spitfire, Rage 2 an 3 blade originals, grim reaper hybrid, wac em expandable, ulmer edge. The one I liked the most was ulmer edge.

I had pass throughs with all the above the only only one I had hang up was 1 3/4in spitfire would stick out other side but had some carry arrow off. The hole though was fantastic.

GregoryB.

I used the Grim Reaper Hybrid last year with good results. Complete pass through's on both deer I shot. I only shoot 57lbs so I didn't trust a large mechanical . Holes were large and blood trail was easy to follow.

I love a 2 blade. My brother and I both prefer the NAP killzones. They tend to hit hard and go through although the buck I killed last year it lodged in the opposite shoulder. He still only went 20 yards max. I used to use the rage 2 blades a few years back and they reeked havoc on a couple of pigs. To each their own just find what works for your set up.

BowanaLee

I've used and killed with a bunch of them. No doubt they'll kill deer and much larger critters too. If I could get fixed heads to fly like darts I probably wouldn't use them. Fixed heads are much tougher and cheaper in the long run.
My blob targets eat mechanicals. Just a thought ?

The Fever

Who uses them and what brand? I have always been the Thunderhead/Wac'Em fixed blade kind of guy. Thought about venturing into the mechanical broadhead but wasn't sure what to try or what to stay away from. My dad used rage when they first came out but every deer he shot, he never had a pass through but the entry was the size of a baseball. Looks likes Swhacker, the new Rages and Grim reapers have the best reviews thus far.

Thanks for your time

What aren't your fixed blades already doing for you that a mechanical will do better 100% of the time? Remember that a well placed arrow works regardless of the tip...:flag:

What aren't your fixed blades already doing for you that a mechanical will do better 100% of the time? Remember that a well placed arrow works regardless of the tip...:flag:

I tried the NAP Killzone's couple years ago and they were alright. I only thought about mechanical because of the larger cut. Primarily, I shot a deer last year (nice buck ) and I could have sworn I made a perfect heart shot. Arrow was covered in blood and great blood trail and then it just stopped. Apparently I got right up under the heart in no mans land and it started to clot up. Found pools of blood but then it just stopped after I jumped the deer 8 hours after the shot. If I had the extra 1/2" cut it may have got the heart. Just helps with margin of error because it definitely happens with a bow. The exit was low on the deer, the shot was probably only 15 yards.

Ihunt

I'm not a big fan of them but they work.

IMO just use a heavier arrow. I think most issues with mechanicals come from people using light arrows.

uturn

I shoot NAP Kill Zone as well...I like those meant for Crossbows...

And, I also have a 125 Grain Shuttle T-Lock and a Ramcat in My Quiver!!

My D350 with 75lb Barnesdales Is Brutal!!

I've had no issues with recovery.

Good Luck

The Fever

I tried the NAP Killzone's couple years ago and they were alright. I only thought about mechanical because of the larger cut. Primarily, I shot a deer last year (nice buck ) and I could have sworn I made a perfect heart shot. Arrow was covered in blood and great blood trail and then it just stopped. Apparently I got right up under the heart in no mans land and it started to clot up. Found pools of blood but then it just stopped after I jumped the deer 8 hours after the shot. If I had the extra 1/2" cut it may have got the heart. Just helps with margin of error because it definitely happens with a bow. The exit was low on the deer, the shot was probably only 15 yards.

I'm an accountant. If I said this to my supervisor he would tell me "You're chasing pennies and not dollars, Walt."

You are aiming at a 6 inch circle . That is 28.27 square inches of vitals and you are looking to add an item that focuses on .79 square inches of those vitals.

I lost a deer last year. A giant Florida whitetail. I used a mechanical broadhead and hit bone. I didn't get enough penetration to kill the deer and I chased him for hours only to lose the blood trail. Now, a fixed broadhead will be on my arrow because it helps with those situations, but my method to fixing the problem has been shooting from all sorts of settings DAILY. I made a bad shot and that's on me. I don't want to rely on equipment that brings so little extra to the table, and brings in other issues like penetration and durability. Most people can't get fixed broadheads to shoot right and that doesn't seem to be your issue.

My vote, and it doesn't matter at all, is stick to your fixed blade broadheads and go eat up some foam with them!:shoot::flag:

Good luck this season!
Walt

I'm an accountant. If I said this to my supervisor he would tell me "You're chasing pennies and not dollars, Walt."

You are aiming at a 6 inch circle . That is 28.27 square inches of vitals and you are looking to add an item that focuses on .79 square inches of those vitals.

I lost a deer last year. A giant Florida whitetail. I used a mechanical broadhead and hit bone. I didn't get enough penetration to kill the deer and I chased him for hours only to lose the blood trail. Now, a fixed broadhead will be on my arrow because it helps with those situations, but my method to fixing the problem has been shooting from all sorts of settings DAILY. I made a bad shot and that's on me. I don't want to rely on equipment that brings so little extra to the table, and brings in other issues like penetration and durability. Most people can't get fixed broadheads to shoot right and that doesn't seem to be your issue.

My vote, and it doesn't matter at all, is stick to your fixed blade broadheads and go eat up some foam with them!:shoot::flag:

Good luck this season!
Walt

That is very well said! I shot a doe through the shoulder with my Wac Em fixed blade and it stuck in the ground afterwards. It is just part of hunting, every now and then you are going to make a bad shot or lose a deer. Practice, practice and more practice.

Best of luck to you as well this year!

Kris87

I'm of the opinion that a fixed blade isn't "much" better when you hit a deer in the shoulder BLADE. The muscles around the shoulder blade and knuckle can be penetrated by both mechanical and fixed heads. I've shot plenty through there with both types of heads. I have gotten better penetration with fixed heads when hitting animals there. That said, I've shot a couple in the knuckle with fixed blades, heavy arrows, and there's not much your gonna have success with there.

jharrell

Anyone shot the muzzy hybrid heads. Got 2 fixed blades and 2 blades that also open up? Like the looks of the but will be hard pressed to peal the hypo s out of my quiver.

rjcruiser

I've used bi-polars the past 2 years and have had good success with them.

TwoSeventy

I also shot the Bipolar last year. Took 2 deer with it and they only went a few yards. Very Satisfied. But like someone else said if you hit them in the right place they will all work just fine.

Curvebow05

I've shot all types of rage, grim reapers, spitfires, and a huge assortment of others. I have settled on the larger grim reapers due to the blade strength and excellent penetration. I am also sending a heavy arrow down range at 284 fps. If you're shooting a 350gr or up, arrow at 260fps and up you should be ok. We can get into this huge debate on kinetic energy and blah blah blah but given the results I have had with a huge assortment of arrows, broad heads, and bows over the last 17 years those are my limits. Even a light 300gr arrow at 270, I would hesitate very much to shoot anything larger than a coyote with an expandable. I can switch up and shoot lighter arrows and be close to the 302-310 fps range but I'm very satisfied with the current results. FYI that is out of a 58lb 2008 PSE xForce.