Mennonites ?

Lowjack

I observed a lot of mennonites around Wren Georgia, is there a lot of them in Georgia or just in this area ?:huh:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
There are quite a few in Montezuma, GA. I've eaten at their restaurant. Interesting literature there at the door. Ever read any of it?

I do not know how many there are in GA, but it is my understanding they are a branch of Anabaptists.

Dunamis

I know there are some everywhere between Americus, Olgthorpe, and Montezuma. I have family down that. I think they live outside of Ellaville now.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

Mako22

BANNED
Their confussed about what a biblical covering for a womens head is but they seem to be okay other than that.

Mako22

BANNED

I don't have time for an in depth study but here is where you can find it at.

1st Corinthians 11:14-15
Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? Vs 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

Some groups believe the women needs more than her hair for a covering so they wear a hat or a crocheted doily looking thingy (I don't know what it is called). The Mennonite women wear the crocheted hat thingy. They seem like nice people.

Here is a sight selling them.
http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=2

crackerdave

I admire their simple Christian way of life. They are a little more "liberal" than the Amish,most of whom don't use electricity or cars and still farm with animal power.
I read several books about both groups - they are a dying breed!

Mako22

BANNED
I admire their simple Christian way of life. They are a little more "liberal" than the Amish,most of whom don't use electricity or cars and still farm with animal power.
I read several books about both groups - they are a dying breed!

Ask the Amish what they think about these high gas prices, who has the last laugh there.:bounce:

As Rouster notes, the is a pretty good settlement in the Hartwell area. They have a campground/retreat outside Royston in U.S. 29.

There is another large settlement of them across the river in SC around Abbeville. There is a locally famous bakery, and a manufacturer of horse trailers, whose name escapes me right now.

There is a famous Mennonite restaurant in Abbeville, Yoder's, but don't plan on eating Sunday dinner there.

A group with a similar history, the Moravians, were with Oglethorpe when he founded the Georgia colony. They went on to start the settlement of Ebenezer, but left to help found Bethlehem, PA, and later Salem (now part of Winston-Salem) NC. "Wachovia" as in bank fame, was the name of the Moravian section of NC.

There is a continuum from the Amish to the Mennonites and Moravians to the The Brethern, who merged with the Methodist Church.

Even with the Mennonite community, there are different degrees of piety. For example in Pennsylvania, there are as many variation of Mennonites as there are Baptists in Georgia. One is called locally the "Black Bumper" Mennonites. They drive automobiles, but insist that all the chrome be taken off or painted black. The cars are black, and so members of this division are easily identified by their totally black automobiles.

The Amish are to the Mennonites as the Primitive Baptists are to the Southern Baptists.

There is a related denomination known as the "German Baptists" -- that is the formal name, which is predominately in Pennsylvania, and one division of which has practices and beliefs similar to the Amish.

Lowjack

As Rouster notes, the is a pretty good settlement in the Hartwell area. They have a campground/retreat outside Royston in U.S. 29.

There is another large settlement of them across the river in SC around Abbeville. There is a locally famous bakery, and a manufacturer of horse trailers, whose name escapes me right now.

There is a famous Mennonite restaurant in Abbeville, Yoder's, but don't plan on eating Sunday dinner there.

A group with a similar history, the Moravians, were with Oglethorpe when he founded the Georgia colony. They went on to start the settlement of Ebenezer, but left to help found Bethlehem, PA, and later Salem (now part of Winston-Salem) NC. "Wachovia" as in bank fame, was the name of the Moravian section of NC.

There is a continuum from the Amish to the Mennonites and Moravians to the The Brethern, who merged with the Methodist Church.

Even with the Mennonite community, there are different degrees of piety. For example in Pennsylvania, there are as many variation of Mennonites as there are Baptists in Georgia. One is called locally the "Black Bumper" Mennonites. They drive automobiles, but insist that all the chrome be taken off or painted black. The cars are black, and so members of this division are easily identified by their totally black automobiles.

The Amish are to the Mennonites as the Primitive Baptists are to the Southern Baptists.

There is a related denomination known as the "German Baptists" -- that is the formal name, which is predominately in Pennsylvania, and one division of which has practices and beliefs similar to the Amish.

The ones I saw must have being rednecks, they drove 4X4s and ate at a Mexican restaurant in Wren.
Now German Baptists I know, there is a huge colony in Argentina about 12,000, a little prejudiced though they don't allow inter marriage with outsiders and they speak nothing but German, but they did help us with building a
Church so that we could evangelize the locals, go figure?

Tim L

[QUOTE=

Interesting, I knew that The Brethern were one of the groups that merged to become the United Methodist Church, but I didn't know that the Moravians and Mennonites were part of the Wesleyian tradition.

Hogtown

The Mennonites around Montezuma are known as the "Beachy Amish Mennonites", which is a large sect of Mennonites. They came in the 1950's from Virginia Beach, Virginia - it got too crowded, so they sold out and moved. The Beachy Amish Mennonites are a little more liberal than the Amish and a little more conservative than the standard Mennonites. The epicenter of the Macon group is an area known as "5-Points", which is located on SR 26 about 10 miles east of Montezuma and about 10 west of I-75. If your in the area stop at "5-Points General Store" and go to the back of the store and get Mom to cook you up some food - excellent and cheap.

Dunamis

You addressed a woman at the store as "mom". Are you mennonite? As far as te food, I may have to give that a try. I heard they can cook!

but I didn't know that the Moravians and Mennonites were part of the Wesleyian tradition.

They are not.

The Brethern were not part of the Wesleyan tradition, but in the 1970's the two denominations found little doctrinal differences and merged. The Brethern historically were of from the Reformed Church tradition (as opposed to the Anabaptists, as opposed to the Reformation Churches.)

One difference is that The Brethern tend to abide by the pacifist philosophy of the Mennonites, Moravians and Amish. The Brethern were not absolute pacifists-- there is a term for their approach, but I forget what it is. My best friend in college was a Brethern and applied for conscientious objector status, was denied, and ended up being a combat squad leader in Viet Nam.

I've mentioned before, but if you want to participate in a unique and uplifting religious experience, at least once try to attend the Moravian sunrise service in Old Salem, NC (the Salem in Winston-Salem). The service is conducted exactly as it was 250 (or more) years ago. The Saturday music service is worth attending if you have the time to get there.

Hogtown

You addressed a woman at the store as "mom". Are you mennonite? As far as te food, I may have to give that a try. I heard they can cook!

Sorry for the misconception - my fault. Everybody calls her "Mom". She has a sign in the back which says "Mom's Kitchen". The place looks like it would fall down, but don't be discouraged - its great. She makes simple food sandwiches, brunswick stew, pancakes (served Mennonite style with peanut butter and syrup/honey). A Mom's fried egg sandwhich consists of two pieces of bread, 2 pieces of cheese, 2 fried eggs, and a hand-full of bacon for $2.20. If you want a full meal ,Yoeders is about 4 miles due west on the south side of SR 26 - salad, desert, meat, vegetables etc... for about $8.00. Finally, my lease is about 4 miles from there and over the years I've come to know a lot of the Mennonites personally - they are wonderful people.