Mineral site differences.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’ve had a mineral site for several years now, Trophy Rock, mineral blocks and salt blocks have all been used on the site. I alternate through the blocks depending on how the mood strikes me, deer do seem to prefer the trophy rock a bit more than the others though.
My question is, the deer don’t dig down in the dirt like I’ve seen posted here. Once the block is gone, they’ll visit but seem to move on if there isn’t a visible block. Any ideas why?
It’s standard black loamy low land dirt, no red clay in the immediate area.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I see them dig in the clay. Maybe the sandy soils it goes deeper quicker. I do see they paw a little either way. I look for clay soil or a big stump to place it. I may start using a trough line later. I have placed on big big rocks to

I got one spot at the house as said they never hit.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
It’s possibly leeching out for sure. I was thinking after several hundred pounds of minerals were put in one spot some of it would stick around.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
It’s possibly leeching out for sure. I was thinking after several hundred pounds of minerals were put in one spot some of it would stick around.
The one at the house they walk by everyday and it was clay soil.
It baffles me.
One thought was they getting it somewhere else.

westcobbdog

I made a mineral site on the ridge behind my house where it's just hard pan clay and they are hitting the trophy rock sitting in the depression hard right now.

Buckstop

The granular has always worked best for us on clay spots or poured on stumps. In the sandy spots,we use the trophy rocks.

But we've had so much rain that even the trophy rocks went fast this spring and summer. Washed out and deer wearing them out due to larger amounts of water in their browse.

As mentioned above with your location and soil type it’s leaching out. You could use a stump and go that route as the tree wood will absorb and hold more than the soil would

Jim Boyd

Been hit and miss for me, also.

As bad a deer hunter as I am…. It is mostly miss!