Minimum HP outboard for coastal fishing

TomFoolery

Hey all, I am thinking about getting a skiff or a jon boat to run around the coastal marsh in Georgia. I am trying to decide how much motor I really need to get the job done. Given these conditions: going against the tide and the current in average weather conditions what kind of motor would you need? 6HP? 30? 50? I realize the weight of the boat affects these things too.

Can you give me a real world scenario with what boat you were in and what motor you had running upsteam? Also, what river or bay were you in?
Could you do it in a kayak or canoe? I am assuming not.

Mexican Squealer

You can do it in all of the above and I have….best advice I can give you is to get the biggest and most sea worthy vessel you can afford…and you will still run into uncomfortable situations….atleast in the GA coast anyway. I’ve got kayaks, flats (60hp), Jon (20hp) and a big center console (225hp) and I use them all. Understanding tides, wind, wind against tides etc is the most important factor as each can be used safely. Bigger and more HP can forgive some misjudgements though.

Ihunt

The current at some of the boat ramps can be very dangerous when that tide is ripping. Have enough hp on your boat to be able to get yourself out of a dangerous situation. Or wait until the tide slows down.

I run my Carolina Skiff J-14 30hp 2 stroke all along the coast, from 1 ft deep tidal creeks to 10 miles out. The main thing to consider is how many people or how much weight is in your boat. If solo, 14 ft jon with a 25hp will do it all, but you have to pick your days, as a 2-3 ft chop is about all you can run in. If you try to add a person in the boat, you can do a 2-3 ft chop, but you will be wet and will take some pounding and will have to run 45 degrees to the waves.
If you want to have 2-3 people, you need a 17ft+.

As far as launching, in my experience, the smaller the boat, the easier to launch. I used to launch all the time at Indian Lagoon ramp near Cape San Blas and it always has a strong current as the ramp is at the cut. Normally, I'd just pull the boat on the trailer with a rope, but you have to drive it on as the boat is moving 3-4 mph sideways from the trailer. Not hard, but not easy to do, just have to angle it and start upstream. Got to have good side bunkers on the trailer.
Everywhere else, I can launch at any beach, don't need a ramp.
I once saw 3 guys launch a 17ft Carolina Skiff from the beach with no issue. If the boat is light and not much draft, you can launch anywhere if you have some help (and 4x4).

Robust Redhorse

The maximum on the capacity plate.

Even more if you don't care, or a higher HP motor doesn't weigh any more.

You are much better off being slightly over powered than underpowered, if you are ever tying to get a boat on a trailer in a cross-current on a ripping tidal river or creek.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Jon boat or a solo type skiff a 20-35 horse will suit your needs if you are just the only person in the boat. Two folks go for the higher end.

Kinda like a tractor, get bigger than you think you will need just in case you actually need it.

Robust Redhorse

It took every bit of power I could muster from a Mercury 150 to get a 1,000 pound boat on a trailer with a ripping current during an emergency in the East River behind Jekyll Island a few years ago.

If you know you are going to be dealing with strong currents, I would not mess around with a marginal engine.

I needed to get someone to medical care.

Last edited:

Redbow

Years ago my Uncle and I ran a 6hp Johnson for 30 seasons, it did us a fine job inside Murrell's Inlet SC. That little motor wore out 2 Jon boats over the years with hitting sand bars and oyster beds. We never fished the Ocean with the Jon boats. We also used that motor in the Great Pee Dee River, the Little Pee Dee River and Santee-Cooper many times.

GeorgiaBob

I have a Jon boat I use on a small lake and the tidal marsh nearby that I have always used only an electric trolling motor. (I have oars onboard - just in case.) I also have a 10' RIB with an 8hp Mercury 4 stroke. The 8hp isn't enough to get the inflatable on a plane unless it is flat water and I am alone. A 10hp or 15hp would probably be better choices for the RIB.

If all of your travels will be protected waters, and within 5 miles of a safe ramp, you could get away with a 10hp 4stroke. A 10hp 2stroke has a little more "umph." So if you can find a dependable 2stroke, and combine that with a good prop, you should be OK with 10hp.

If you plan on wandering and exploring a bit, you are likely to need more than 10 horses. A 15hp or 20hp engine will be plenty for any Jon boat up to about 18' long. I think 25hp is too much motor for a lightweight aluminum jon boat. If you get a fiberglass runabout or skiff between 14' and 18' long, a 25hp engine would put you on a plane pretty quick.

Seanote

I have a J16 with a 20 HP four stroke and love fishing inshore waters in it. Plenty of power and goes about 25 MPH with only me in it and has plenty of power for heavy current. I am considering selling it as I joined a boat club and have not taken it out since. I hate to get rid of it, but the wife is on my case about it. I can go all day on three gallons of gas.